Getting into archery

• dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

The gf and I have been talking about finding a new place to hunt which every where I found being south of the rifle zones. We had both had talked in the past about wanting to get into bow hunting. Friday night we went to cabelas and picked up a bow for her. She picked up the Diamond infinity edge. It fit her price range and had great reviews. My plan was to pick up the same setup but I have a hard time making any uninformed purchases. My only experience with archery is having a old recurve growing up. Price wise I would like to keep the investment down but not regret buying better equipment to start with in a season or two. Any suggestions on entry level bows or shops to visit to help out a newbie?

yellowdog
    Participant
    Alma Wi

I used to sell bows and the Parker package bows were really popular with the folks just starting out. Bows already set up with the appropriate accessories and modestly priced.

realtreeap10
    Participant
    Over there

Seeing you’re in Coon Rapids, head over to Average Joe’s archery and check out there selection. I purchased my Diamond bow with the RAK package from them a few years ago. Been in there a few times to shoot, they have a 40yd range, and the guys are always helpful. For cost wise find something that comes with all the necessary parts ie Quiver, sight, arrow rest, etc.. Cabelas has a bunch of packages too and the new Cabelas bow are actually fairly nice and made by Diamond/Bowtech.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

I would go to a archery shop as well… you can get a better used bow, for the same money of a lower quality new one.

4seasonsport
    Inactive
    Red Wing, MN

I agree with the advice above. Go to your local Archery shop and they will help you with all of your questions. Bows are not like a lot of other products you can buy from the big box store. The one on one experience you will get from the local shop will be priceless in the long run. Even if you have to pay a little more upfront. I wish I could tell you how many bows a year we fix or do initial set up from bows bought at big box stores or online(even worse). When you buy a bow from us, we paper tune it, adjust draw length, adjust draw weight, help you sight it in, teach you how to maintain it, and offer free range time and advice to make sure everything is perfect. Come in with one from another shop and there could be fees to do all of this.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

I checked out average joes this afternoon. The guy I talked to recommended a few different bows but did tell me that the shop was pretty bare this weekend because of the game fair. I plan on stopping by later in the week when I can see more of the bows he was talking about.

Participant
    Northeast MPLS

Having just gone through this about 6 months ago, I highly recommend going to a reputable bow shop!

If you are ready to buy it may not hurt to call ahead to the shop and be sure they aren’t short staffed or too busy to give you the attention you will need. Give them your budget and allow plenty of time! I think I spent about 3+ hours at the shop when I purchased my bow, I shot quite few comps as well, above and below my budget before I setts on the Mission Ballistic.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

I stopped back in and talked to them at average joes. I will be there Thurs when the have some more help shooting a few more bows. So far I am torn on staying with a entry level or stepping it up. So far I shot the Diamond infinity pro, Bear crux and Bear attitude.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Shoot as many different bows as you can before buying. Yes, there are some quality differences, but at a mid-upper range of bows, the quality level will begin to equal out. Not everyone grips, draws, releases a bow the same way. The one that fits you and your comfortable with is the right one.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

Well I made it back into Average joes after work tonight and decided on the bow I wanted. The Bowtech Carbon Knight. It ended up past my original budget but the idea of being happy with this bow for seasons vs a entry level bow and wanting to upgrade in a season.

The Gf and I are planning on heading back up there to get her bow setup correctly and do some shooting.

4seasonsport
    Inactive
    Red Wing, MN

You will love the Carbon Knight. Thank you for taking the team to go to a local dealer and give them your business. This really does mean a lot to all of us in the industry.

muskeye
    Participant
    Duluth, Mn

You made the right decision to up your budget a bit and get a non-entry bow. I bought the top of the line Hoyt back in 2009 and it still amazes me how smooth it shoots. Congrats.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

We went back in to do a little shooting and have the girlfriends bow checked to see if cabelas set it up correctly. Found out they set the draw length 2.25″ to long and sold her the wrong arrows along with a release that did not fit her. doah I wish we would of looked into getting her a bow longer before going to cabelas.

I know about the outdoor ranges at bunker and elm creek. Are there any other places to shoot in the north metro?

muskeye
    Participant
    Duluth, Mn

There used to be a outdoor range in Fridley when I lived down there, not sure if it’s still there though.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

Spent the last two evenings shooting at bunker. I am getting consistent groups at both 20-30. Tonight I spent some time at 40 then walked one of the trails. I shot all but the 80yrd target. The up and down hill shots are going to need some work. whistling I can definitely see myself spending less time with a rifle in the woods this year already.

hamms
    Participant
    Mn

That would be a fun place to shoot. I just started bow hunting this year also and I know you get what you pay for. I bought a next to new 2010 mathews dxt with case, arrows, hha single pin sight and a high end fall away rest for a great price. I felt the same as others did. A high end used bow vs a middle of the road new one. I took it to A1 archery and it’s all dialed in. It is a joy to shoot light weight and way faster then the low end bow I got last spring. Very happy. That’s what it’s all about.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Well, I went the other way and bought a Diamond SB-1.

Guys I have to say, this is really fun. I’ve only had the bow for set up and running for about a week and took it out twice, but shooting these things is just fun.

Grouse

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

I have still been shoot a couple times a week and plan on joining a league this winter at either wild river or average Joe’s.

sticker
    Participant
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Well, I went the other way and bought a Diamond SB-1.

Guys I have to say, this is really fun. I’ve only had the bow for set up and running for about a week and took it out twice, but shooting these things is just fun.

Grouse

OH OH, Grouse is hooked. I told you! I see a spring turkey with the bow coming smash

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

OH OH, Grouse is hooked. I told you! I see a spring turkey with the bow coming

I said it was fun. I didn’t say I could actually hit anything.

I’m down one arrow in a week. Kind of missed the backstop. whistling This is made somewhat worse by the fact that I was shooting at a whopping 20 yards… Ooooops. Kinda pulled that one a little…

But hey, I hit the target with the other 5, so there may yet be hope. Maybe I could apply for a permit somewhere near the Rest Home for Blind and Infirm Wild Turkeys? Give myself a fighting chance.

Grouse

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.