Getting back in to the sport.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I used to shoot daily and hunt archery only. This was till I had a accident and tore my bicep and rotary cuff.
    It’s been a few years and I think I’m ready to start shooting again.
    I have no interest in cross bow.
    My last bow was a mathews z7 when they were the top of the line and now I’m just deciding on what way to go. I don’t really want to go and drop 2 to 3k on a set up, I’m looking at 1500 for a full set up. But I want a nice light good bow that will last until I can gift it to my son who is turning 11 in a month.
    Anything on the market at the moment that is a must have, or must stay away from. I stop in at full draw outdoors often and talk to those guys and search for second hand often. The elites really catch my eye, but it seems as if all the bows this day and age are pretty nice.
    Any input helps.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

You hit the nail on the head already in my opinion, most bows today are pretty nice.

Biggest thing I can suggest is shoot anything you think you might be interested in. Last time at the range I shot bowtech, prime, Hoyt, PSE and a Mathews. They were all vibration free and fairly quiet. Bowtech to me had the smoothest draw cycle and a good let off, no hump to overcome when drawing.

With the previous injury you mentioned, something to pay attention to is let off %. Some are up to 85% or so but if you plan to hunt out of state at all pay attention because some states have set limits on let off now I believe.

Justin riegel

With $1500 you could get a heck of a nice set up. I would just shoot a few at Full Draw and see what you like best. You could find a similar model that’s older after you know which one shoots best for you or just buy new there. In any case have them set it up for you and you will be all set. Full Draw is an excellent shop.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Highly recommend Full Draw Outdoors. As others have said, shoot bows and choose the one you like.

Did you get rid of the Z7?

Grouse

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Highly recommend Full Draw Outdoors. As others have said, shoot bows and choose the one you like.

Did you get rid of the Z7?

Grouse

Jason and Willie are great. I have known them for a long time.
    Yes the z7 went to a buddy shortly after I was injured. And I had a bear as well that some one decided they wanted worse then I did when I stopped for breakfast at a small Cafe. To my surprise they stole that old bow, but none of my other gear. Dirty pricks. ( lock your doors )

ajw

shoot as many brands, models, and sizes as you can get your paws on. Buy what feels best to you. Not sure anyone makes a truly bad bow anymore. They will all have a different feel in hand at full draw, at the shot, and after the shot.

ajw

shoot different axle to axle lengths as well. Its important and makes a big difference in how a bow feels at full draw. I have long dumb arms and the short axle bows are awkward to shoot… for me. I have to lean in and tilt head down to get proper anchor/nose touching

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

Been hearing alot of good things about the hoyt ventum 33 and the elite enkore 33.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Hoyt Torrex. Just got one last year. Great middle of the road bow. Compares to my older higher end setup for half the cost new.

Hoyt4
    NULL

I also tore my bicep thought i was going to miss the season last year but with the new bows it takes very little to pull back now. Glad you found a bow and are back at it. Good luck and it’s just around the corner. )

Mike Gioia

Brother, you’ve got to consider some things. Idk how big your son or you are but for one if you ever give it to him his draw length must match the bow. Without that it’ll be impossible to achieve proper back tension. Before that you should be determining his dominant eye. It’s important. Shoot with your eye not your hand. Next and probably somewhat something important is bows change year to year. If it’s gonna be 8 years or something things change. He may want new technology, 8 years later the bow will be seriously outdated.
    Regarding the draw length, I havent shot anything but a styk in a long time but some bows have adjustments. I know the Bowtech Reign was one, lots of cheaper bows too. They allow simple draw length adjustment so if the kid was bigger or smaller than you but could handle the weight comfortably it’d be a matter of simple adjustments and redoing peep, kisser, sights as long as his eye matches yours.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.