Generator Discussion – Powerhouse, Predator, Honda, Yamaha?

• TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I ended up purchasing the 2000W Powerhorse from Northern Tool,

Please post an update after the season! Would love to hear your experience.

Of course, now that I really want to upgrade, my Briggs construction generator will probably last forever…

Grouse

Rustywick
    Participant
    Brainerd, MN

I just joined the forum, but I followed this thread. I went with a Champion from Tractor Supply for $400. It is supposed to be the lightest in its class. We have completed the break in and used it out on Mille Lacs in below zero temps. So far so good… We have a small permanent that does not have much for accessories. Thanks to all who replied in this thread.

isu22andy
    Participant

Predator vs WEN ? Are you all happy with them yet ? I need to grab one for work . Doubt It will run more than 10 hours a year . Yes I know- use quality and drain the fuel.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Still rocking the wen. Have 4 years of use and not a single complaint. Buddy has the predator and that things seems awesome for the last 2 seasons. I have a Honda on my work truck and personally wouldn’t spend the money on one when the wen has been as good If not better

beardly
    Participant
    Hastings, Mn

Between all of the buddies there is Yamaha, Honda and Predator. Both Predator guys have all ready returned their generators for new one’s within a few months. They will be buying a different brand. Even though you get a new one it doesn’t help when they ruin your weekend buy bot running. A neighbor fish house had a Predator as well and had it grenade. Cant comment on the Wen, however.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Some people have great luck buying cheap stuff and having it work great forever for them. I am not one of those people so … Honda and it has been great.

Coletrain27
    Participant

My Honda 2200 has been great. If I were buying a cheaper one I would buy I powerhorse brand from northern tool

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

so noone is switching to solar panels or a big windmill!!!!!!! devil doah rotflol

sorry i’ll just move right along!!!!!!!!! coffee

Coletrain27
    Participant

All the strobe lights on my shack I don’t think solar would even keep up

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

All the strobe lights on my shack I don’t think solar would even keep up

devil rotflol rotflol rotflol

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

Ive never owned a generator so understand what i say is 2nd hand. My friend works for Knife River driving truck. He works 70-100 hours a week from April-May to November hauling rock and road making materials in Northern MN and ND. He sleeps in a camper in the gravel pits at the job site 6 nights a week for 6+ months a year. Hes been running cheap generators, specifically Wen and Champion for 5 years doing this now. Never once had a problem with either of them.

Im currently in the market for a generator and ill be looking at buying a WEN 56235i 2350 Watt

orve4
    Participant

I bought a Predator generator in November did the brake in process and had no problems. Took it on the first weekend trip to cass lake and ran great till I filled up sunday night and filled the tank to the brim. After this the next hour the generator would bog down and run like crap. Watched it run shut it down re started and continued to have this problem. Thought maybe it was the filter or bad gas. Here it had created a vacuum because I had over filled it. Loosened the gas cap and ran great. Learned the vents are on top and fill about 3/4 full now and it runs with no problems. I have a Friend who has a Honda and has had nothing but problems and actually traded it for Predator. I think if you get something that works for you use it.

usmarine0352
    Participant

My brother has a Wen.

Worked great all season.

Only problem is that it gave interference to the Livescope which could not be resolved.

Tlazer
    Participant

Bought a Champion 3200W as a backup for around the house. Probably too big for what many of you need, but what I love it is a dual fuel. Never have run it on gas, only on propane. The reason I went with the dual fuel is I never have to worry about fuel/carb issues, and can run for a long time on a 20-30# propane tank. Have run it in the winter on propane with no issues, but I have never used it when it was zero or below. Not sure if they make a smaller 2000W dual-fuel generator but may be worth looking into.

waldo9190
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

My brother has a Wen.

Worked great all season.

Only problem is that it gave interference to the Livescope which could not be resolved.

This generally has to due with how “clean” of a Sin wave the inverter creates when it converts power. REALLY high end electronics are where you will see this rear it’s head.

Try attempting to dial this in with your building’s power and tuning in a high speed camera…. doah

Reef W
    Participant

Bought a Champion 3200W as a backup for around the house. Probably too big for what many of you need, but what I love it is a dual fuel. Never have run it on gas, only on propane. The reason I went with the dual fuel is I never have to worry about fuel/carb issues, and can run for a long time on a 20-30# propane tank. Have run it in the winter on propane with no issues, but I have never used it when it was zero or below. Not sure if they make a smaller 2000W dual-fuel generator but may be worth looking into.

They make 2000w models too, I’ve had one for a couple years but don’t use it a lot, probably 40lbs of propane through it. I’ve never put gas in it, only use propane, and don’t have to worry about bad gas or spills or anything. I think -10 was probably the coldest I’ve used it. It’s supposed to get up to 34 hours on a 20lb tank vs 11.5 hours for gas.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

I have no first hand experience either, but stayed in a LOTW Sleepers house a couple weekends ago. They run Generac’s on their sleepers for the satellite/tv/coffee maker etc., and said they have been great.

Don Meier
    Participant
    Butternut Wisconsin

Bought a Champion 2500 Dual fuel , works great . Just recently a PowerHorse 13000 for the house . Ran it a few times. So far good

Hoyt4
    Participant
    NULL

Had our Honda over 15 years and never had an issue as long as you maintain. It handles the cold way better then most. Even being knocked around a bit still runs great.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

Just pulled the trigger on a champion 2500w duel fuel. Found it at farm and fleet for $449. Will be putting it to use for the first time charging my boat batteries in VNP next month

castle-rock-clown
    Participant

I just pulled the plug…on a Pulsar 7250/6500 dual fuel inverter generator. It even has remote start and stop. Home Depot sale price $999 plus 10% off for military and veterans.

Viewing 22 posts - 61 through 82 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.