Gas pump question when only one hose

• critter 1
    Participant

I use only non ethanol gas in my boat, lawn mower, and snow blower. For example I use Kwik Trip non ethanol recreational gas. Pump has one hose that services both grades at the pump. Just choose what grade and start pumping. How much fuel is left in the hose from whatever grade was pumped before your selection or is there a backflow that clears it. I have never had a problem but the other day this thought came into my head. Anyone know this answer? If you pump 6 gallons of non ethanol are you getting a true six gallons of it?

Dave maze
    Participant
    Isanti

I’d say your getting whatever is in the hose first. I checked on the capacity if a 1/2″ id hose. Its .010 gallons per foot. 10 feet of hose = .1 gallon. A 3/4″ hose by 10 feet would have .23 gallon in it. Is it going to be an issue for your 6 gallon tank? Not likely.

ThunderLund78
    Participant

Following – I’ve always thought this and if I’m just filling my 5 gallon can I use for my mower, snowblower, auger, etc. I will shoot a gallon into my truck’s tank first.

maybe someone else has some working knowledge of these pumps. It doesn’t take much to gum things up, especially if you’re like me and you only run a few tanks of gas through my ice auger all year.

critter 1
    Participant

Exactly what i was wondering. Thanks.

hdog3385
    Participant

Unless your walking or riding your bike to the gas station it’s not a problem. Pump the first gallon into your vehicle to clear the old gas out. When i’m snowmobiling and need fuel on the trail I always let someone else in the group use the pump first because I’m just that nice devil

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

I don’t believe it’s a problem as whatever is in the hose will be so diluted by whats coming behind it. I burn between 25 & 50 gallons a year just in my mower and small engines. My boat which has a 60 gallon tank, that little bit isn’t going to matter at all.

Non-issue in my mind.

SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

When the 100 yard long supply pipe at the refinery changes fuel type is the pipe clear before it goes into the tanker truck? LMAO. We’re in the weeds early this Winter.

IceNEyes1986
    Participant
    Harris, MN

I’ve thought about this before as well. But, if Dave’s math is right, I don’t see it being a issue at all.

Musky Ed
    Participant

They had a big discussion on this a while back, on bobs the oil guy. Most common answer was 1 to 1.2 gal. I’ve been with the crowd of pumping a gallon in your car or truck first. If I was someone that would just go with a 1 gal container, then I would probably play it safe and pump a little more in the car first. I always get at least 10 gallons though.

gaspumpguy
    Participant

I have a working knowledge of retail fuel dispensers(like 25 years worth). The amount left in the hose and internal plumbing of the unit should not effect the ethanol content of the fuel you are dispensing into your vehicle/boat/snowmobile/motorcycle. The only time it might have an effect is if you are dispensing a very small amount into like an auger or something that has a very small gas tank. And Dave you are correct, no dispensed fuel is 100% what is advertised on the dispenser. There are just to many variables, pipelines, delivery vehicles etc. The fuel has to meet certain parameters but is never 100%. The fuel you get at any retail fueling outfit even has trace amounts of water in it (gasp). The Dept. of Commerce also lab tests the fuel at most sites for octane rating and ethanol content fairly regularly.

milemark_714
    Participant

All the Kwik-trips in the LAX area have a separate nozzle for rec. gas.It’s red and has a badge that reads 100% gasoline.

Joel W Taylor
    Participant

You might not think it’s a big deal but I am not going to pay a premium for that first gallon of fuel with ethanol in it considering I am typically using a 2.5 or 5 gallon can. I will only go to a station that has a separate hose. If I was filling my boat it’s a different story.

mark schad
    Participant

consultantant for the ariens co. did a study and found up to the first four gallons can have ethanol.not what i am paying a premium for.no separate hose,no sale

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Not to hi-jack this but an FYI if you use diesel and go to BP.
    Those bone heads use the black nozzle for diesel and the green for gas.

I found that out the hard way doah

SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

Not to hi-jack this but an FYI if you use diesel and go to BP.
    Those bone heads use the black nozzle for diesel and the green for gas.

I found that out the hard way doah

The green nozzle is typically twice the diameter and wouldn’t fit in a car filler hole. Were the handles reversed but the filler tubes right?

Mike West
    Participant

It would be hard to get diesel in a gas vehicle but easy to get gas in a diesel.
    I too found out the hard way Eelpoutguy flame

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

I have changed hoses and nozzle many times from working in the fuel business. Most hoses that come out of the top of the pump/dispenser are 14 foot long. I have drained a hose and nozzle into a container to see how much fuel you get out of it just to answer the 1 hose ethanol question. There is not quite 1 qt. of fuel in the hose. So taking into consideration approximately 6 feet of pipe inside the pump you are getting approximately 48 ounces of ethanol fuel. At 10% that is 4.8 ounces of ethanol. There is 640 ounces in 5 gallons. I doubt that little of ethanol will cause a problem. It never has in any of my mowers, saws, or boat. JMO

And you can always do like some above mentioned, run a gallon in your vehicle first.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Then again, I have never run anything but 87 octane E10 in my mower and snowblower (10+ years for both) and have never had an issue. Mabe B&S motors are just unstoppable. )

Paul D
    Participant
    Roseville

Or find a station that has a dedicated pump for the Non Oxy, then no worries.

39degrees
    Participant

Or find a station that has a dedicated pump for the Non Oxy, then no worries.

I do that. I know of one by my house and several on my normal routes to the boat launches i frequent. I also know the non-oxy pumps at these stations get used frequently. Personally it is just peace of mind for me.

Paul D
    Participant
    Roseville

There’s a station close to me, first time I went there I was very confused. You get the gas like in the “Old” days, flip the lever up, pay after you fill, no swiping a card, nothing, and it’s one of the farthest away pumps, so 2000. I just giggled about the process.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.