Garmin Panoptix Video

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey all,

Here’s a video we put together for the Garmin GPSMap series units that focuses on Panoptix and how it can be put to use on the Great Lakes. If you’re not familiar with Panoptix this video should give you an idea of what this new technology is all about and what it can do for the angler in a real-world situation. Being able to see the fish interact with a trolling spread in real-time and seeing all the detail that traditional sonar misses that is revealed by Panoptix has been an eye opener!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Me Like !!!!
    I got to see this first hand for 3 days fishing Lakers up on Lake Superior the end of Aug !!!

muskie-tim
    Participant
    Rush City MN

James thanks for the great explanation of what Panoptix is and how you have started using it. Technology just keeps changing for the better, unfortunately finances are finding it harder to keep up with the rising costs. Definitely something to look at if an upgrade to the electronics happens in the future.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

That is pretty dang amazing! I had seen a few earlier videos posted by others, but those were centered around casting toward shore or other piece of structure. This is awesome! Thanks for the vid.

Raymond Blimkie
    Participant

Hi, pretty cool, I either jig for walleye or troll. This would be awesome for seeing what jigs are attracting or not. Question, I troll rapalas off a cannon ball, but typically back 20-30 feet for walleye, would the panoptix work, can I dial in lure that far back?
    Raymond

Trappers Landing Lodge
    Participant

I ordered one for my boat cannot wait to try it for walleye. Its looks like an amazing system to catch more fish, and see what they are doing.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Very good video of explaining PanOptix.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hi, pretty cool, I either jig for walleye or troll. This would be awesome for seeing what jigs are attracting or not. Question, I troll rapalas off a cannon ball, but typically back 20-30 feet for walleye, would the panoptix work, can I dial in lure that far back?
    Raymond

I’m running my spoons 30 – 60 foot back behind the balls and have no issues seeing them. I can’t say for certain it would work but my guess is it would. The next time I’m on the water with the riggers I’ll hook up a #7 shad rap 30 foot back and record the video and see what happens.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

What’s scary is that this is Gen1 technology…once they truly get the tech dialed in, it will be unreal…$1,500 for just the ducer is crazy though…

James – get a buddy to swim under the boat and record the playback on screen

carver
    Participant
    West Metro

Please take my money!

Om a serious note. I have beem looking at these or the low gen3’s now (really a gen3 and one or 2 gen 2 units. I want to switch next year to something different just not sure what yet.

Can you show us where that transducer is mounted? I assume the same method if you wanted to hug weed lines/breaks/sand to gravel transitions/etc….

Any other intigrations we can do with it?

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

That’s freakin’ awesome!

Can’t wait to hop in a boat with you again (hint hint) and check it out in person whistling

Tim J
    Participant
    Duluth, MN

Simply amazing. Every time I get to thinking about electronics evolution, I think “where does it stop?”. I feel like this idea is getting close to the end. The only improvements would really be the ability to see baits further from the boat and with better clarity. I mean, what else do we want our electronics to do? they can’t actually catch the fish for us, or can they… Ha, exciting to say the least. I wonder what we’ll be using in 10 years.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Can you show us where that transducer is mounted?

Yeah, I can definitely do that. I’ll take a pic this AM and post it up.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Here’s those transducer placement pics.

Attachments:
    1. 20150923_091103.jpg

2. 20150923_091051.jpg

Gary Korsgaden
    Participant
    NULL

Great video, have a question how would you mount the down vu p-30 panoptix transducer on the back of the transom on a deep v boat like a pro v and keeping it as close to center as possible. Is it necessary to make a bracket that puts the transducer out from the back of transom so to maintain forward view under the transom? Because the transducer needs to be horizontal one end will up the other hanging down if mounted to a transducer board on transom. Other option could be to go far starboard or port to a flat surface and mount there but the transducer would be far right or left of center. Any ideas. Hard to see but hope you can see what I mean. Spoke to garmin too no answers yet there either

Attachments:
    1. IMG_04461.jpg

2. IMG_04481.jpg

3. IMG_0446.jpg

4. IMG_0448.jpg

5. IMG_0451.jpg

6. IMG_0447.jpg

john Hackmeier
    Participant

Great video for sure.James I have a question,how deep will the PS 30 accurately show fish and cannon balls.I plan on using it in lake superior and will it show fish and bottom structure to say 200′. I know it is advertised for 300′ but was hoping for a real world review.Thanks

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

@3zhack

John

I’ve never fished riggers that deep with Pan Optics so I’m hesitant to comment one way or another. My gut tells me it would all come down to how far back the rigger balls and baits were behind the boat as the depth itself doesn’t concern me due to the apparent sensitivity of Pan Optics that I’ve witnessed firsthand. If you tried to fish 8# balls in 200′ of water at 2.5 mph trolling speed I’d be concerned that the rigger balls would be so far back and behind the boat that all your gear would be outside the viewing angle of Pan Optics. But if you can keep your gear and baits inside the 45′ degree aft transmit angle allowed with Pan Optics by utilizing heavier down rigger balls I’m confident the system would have the required detail to track baits and fish down to 200′.

Vaidotas Zvirblys
    Participant

how did you succeeded in mounting the Panoptix? down or forward? any pictures on a deep V? would like to compare with installation i got.
    thanks

Gary Korsgaden
    Participant
    NULL

Here you go works pretty well. Thinking of making a bracket that will push the transducer and allow it to be up above lip of transom to pick up a forward angle under the lip of the ransom. This set up does produce a slight rooster tail.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0618.jpg

2. IMG_0617.jpg

3. IMG_0635.jpg

Jeff Iverson
    Participant

Nice video James. It was one of the reasons I put Panoptix on my new boat. I’ve still got a lot to learn but it’s pretty intuitive. Every time out, I’m figuring it out a little more.

Vaidotas Zvirblys
    Participant

here is mine installation. due to the size of a boat, I don’t think I need to mind about rooster tail. should I?

Attachments:
    1. panoptix.jpg

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.