Garmin Panoptix for Ice Fishing

• Danny Thompson
    Minnesota

Hey Guys,

I tried to put together a short clip about how I am using Panoptix for ice fishing.

I am using a:
    EchoMap CHIRP 73dv
    GT8IF Transducer/ adapter cables – 4 pin to 8 pin/8 pin to 12 pin for flasher
    Panoptix PS21 Transducer for Panoptix LiveVu Forward
    9aH batter for Panoptix

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Thanks Danny! In the back of my mind I thought of this application and you brought it to life.

Danny Thompson
    Minnesota

I just spend the last few days testing this on Mille Lacs and on a crappie fishing lake and all I can say is wow! From watching my buddy 60 feet away reeling in a 27″er to following the crappies around without guessing where they were…Panoptix is such an amazing ice fishing tool!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

How long does a battery last on the 73?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. It was only a matter of time. First time I saw panoptix I was thinking about ice fishing.

You talked about garmin engineers. Are they looking closer at a panoptix exclusively for ice fishing at some point?

Danny Thompson
    Minnesota

Biggill,

Thanks I have been out about 7 times now using Panoptix for ice fishing and i have to say it is something that will change ice fishing as we know it.

I think they are looking but there is a lot of things out there for Panoptix so I am sure its just a matter of time.

Scott,

I know Panoptix seems expensive but since it is such a new technology it is expensive to make still I am sure. Also if you look at what the competition charges for just a ice unit $700 – $1650 for something that can only be used in the winter and only looks strait down I think Panoptix is not to bad. for $1700 someone could get into Panoptix for ice fishing and have it for summer fishing. It is not cheap but it is very cool stuff.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

How long does a battery last on the 73?

X2?:???:

And how long would it last with Panoptix?

This seems to be more of a scanning tool correct?

Danny Thompson
    Minnesota

So there are a bunch of variables to answering how long it will last since there is no standard kit yet but I can tell you that my kit is a EchoMap CHIRP 73cv with the GT8IF ice fishing transducer and PS21 Transom Mount Panoptix hooked to it that is hooked up to the 7ah batter that came with the portable kit. The PS21 transom mount Panoptix that is hooked up to my EchoMap CHIRP 73cv is powered by a 9ah battery. My unit would run all day 9 hours and not die…I never actually ran it dead to get an exact timeline. The PS21 powered by the 9ah batter would land 8 hours.

You can use the Panoptix for watching your jig straight down as well but it is best for looking out to find schools.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Thanks. Have the 73 chirp as well, good to know for next season when the kid wants some ice sonar of her own.

Danny Thompson
    Minnesota

nhamm you can also just by the GT8IF ice fishing transducer for the 73CHIRP and use it for ice fishing even without Panoptix. With that quick release bracket you could move the unit from boat, atv, ice unit really easily.

Randy Winn

Hey Danny, is Garmin planning on selling that “U” shaped stopper thing that you have your PVC pipe running through any time soon?

Danny Thompson
    Minnesota

Garmin is not right now but Josh at The Boat Doc is 920-269-2628

tpyi

Danny,

I just ordered the Echomap Chirp 73cv along with the GT8IF Transducer / adapter cables – 4 pin to 8 pin. Do I need another adapter (8 pin to 12 pin) to hook the transducer up to the sonar? I’ll have to wait on the ps21 transducer until summer or next year.

Thanks!

Danny Thompson
    Minnesota

If you got the 73cv and the GT8 all you should need is the 4 to 8.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.