Garmin echoMAP 73sv vs. Garmin echoMap CHIRP 73sv

• paulk
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

I am thinking about upgrading my electronics on my boat over the winter and I am looking at the Garmin echoMAP units. There are some good deals going on right now. I have found the echoMAP 73sv for $499 and the echoMAP CHIRP 73sv for $749. I have never used a unit with CHIRP so for those that have, is the newer unit with CHIRP (and probably more upgrades) worth the extra $250? Both are pre-loaded with the LakeVu HD maps. Any advice will help!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Not sure if I have the chirp or not in my 73sv. It was originally $850 on Cabelas, not sure now. But am completely impressed with the sonar capabilities and how the whole unit functions overall. Customizable screens is freakin sweet. Right when you open the box you know you bought into quality.

Have some beef with the quality of their maps, but was told I may have a setting off in unit and haven’t checked that out thus far.

catnip
    Participant
    south metro

I have the one with chirp and it works great. But I haven’t compared it to o e without.

Danny Thompson
    Participant
    Minnesota

Hey Paul K. with the CHIRP model you are gaining a few things…CHIRP being the obvious, but you also gain the new contact bar vs. the push pin connection, QuickDraw is built in so you wont need to do a software update to get it, and you gain a Panoptix port!

Both are great units and if Panoptix is not a big deal to you the nonCHIRP is a great value.

Troy Feeken
    Participant

I just scored a non CHIRP 73sv at Cabelas in East Grand Forks for only $450! Seems like a stellar deal if you ask me.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Since this came back up I have checked my sonar and does have chirp. Can’t say if it’s worth the dinero, but it’s sonar capabilities are phenomenal and wouldn’t trade it for anything sonar speaking.

eric borkoski
    Participant

I have had both units and was impressed with both.
    I would agree with Danny in that if you are not going to use Panoptix the original 73SV is REALLY hard to beat for that $.
    When I used that one I was very impressed with sonar all around whether it was traditional 2D, SV or DV.
    And being able to get the latest software to do Quick Draw and color shading to me is huge.
    Good luck with you choice. I think you will be happy no matter which one you choose………..
    I guess that probably didn’t help at all. LOL

paulk
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

Thanks for the responses! I am not planning on getting the panoptix transducer so it looks like the original one might be the choice for me. Does anyone know if the 73sv without chirp has the quick release bracket?

sticker
    Participant
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Thanks for the responses! I am not planning on getting the panoptix transducer so it looks like the original one might be the choice for me. Does anyone know if the 73sv without chirp has the quick release bracket?

Yes, I just bought two of them and they do have it.

Troy Feeken
    Participant

FYI, in my research thus far, the Non CHIRP model does not work with the ice ducer. REEDs does have the CHRIP model for $630 though which is by far the cheapest I’ve seen anywhere.

paulk
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

Thanks for all the responses! I ended up getting the non chirp model for $499. Great deal and I just couldn’t pass it up. Now I just need to get it on my boat!

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Can anyone confirm if the GT8HW-IF transducer will directly connect to the NON CHIRP version of the 73SV? If not is there an alternative self leveling transducer option for this unit to use for ice fishing?

ganderpike
    Participant
    Alexandria

Good Question Dtro. I was wondering that too. FYI Cabela’s has the non-CHIRP 73sv for $449 right now.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I just chatted with the Garmin tech. Was told that the GT8HW-IF will not work on the NON CHIRP unit (even with pin connecter adapters). I see they make a portable type kit for kayaks etc. I would guess there is some sort of compatible transducer that would be compatible. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/543361

riverruns
    Inactive

Good Question Dtro. I was wondering that too. FYI Cabela’s has the non-CHIRP 73sv for $449 right now.

Thanks for the tip about the sale at Cabelas. waytogo No shipping either. Wallet got lighter today! toast

zooks
    Participant

bad post, sorry

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I was on the fence with the Cabelas deal but then there was another 50 bucks knocked off yesterday so I pulled the trigger. So I just finished another chat session with Garmin Tech. This new unit has a 4 pin and the ice ducer has a 4 pin. Physically it will plug in, however he said the operation frequency of the ice ducer is 150-240 kHz while the 73SV non chirp is 77-200 kHz. I asked what would happen if I plugged in the ice ducer and he said he wasn’t sure. ) So there is a chance it might actually still be a simple plug and play and work in a limited frequency, but the only other alternative is a dual beam suction mount type transducer which is actually cheaper, but will make self leveling a little harder for the ice.

1hl&sinker
    Participant
    On the St.Croix

Congrats dtro! Super excited to get a chance to use mine.
    I see you mentioned there is a suction cup mount transducer. Now that I have to look into!
    Sometimes I have leave my boat behind going up to the family cabin and the uncles boat has one of old time flasher type. Now being the 73 can be portable this is going to be great. Also great for the other family cabin where its unmapped and were only allowed to use our 14ft aluminum 10 hp motors on the Minnesota side of the boarder. Now I can map out North and south fowl lake and moose lake on the Minnesota Boarder, though at my age I don’t think I’ll have eough time to complete them.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Keep in mind the suction cup ducer is sonar only so you won’t get the down or side imaging, but I do think you would be able to use the quickdraw mapping and all other GPS functions.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Also, I did confirm that the GT8HW-IF ice ducer WILL connect to the NON CHIRP version. It will not be on the menu though, you just need to select 50/200 kKz and it will run at 200kHz which is a 15 degree beam.

ganderpike
    Participant
    Alexandria

thanks for sharing this information Dtro.

1hl&sinker
    Participant
    On the St.Croix

X2 thanks dtro

riverruns
    Inactive

Mine arrives tomorrow! yay

Heck of a deal. $445 Shipped from Cabalas to the door. toast SWEET!!

shamus
    Inactive

Thanks for the heads up! Ordered one to run along side my 53cv. Sweet

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Yeah, 7″ screen with 2d sonar, downvu, sidevu, built in Lakevu maps, depth shading, and quickdraw. Pretty tough to beat that for $449! I think the user interface is designed pretty well too. Sure, it doesn’t have CHIRP or a Panoptix port, but I’ll make do.

John Doe
    Participant

I’m only seeing the 73SV non chirp for $499. Am I missing something?

John Doe
    Participant

I’m only seeing the 73SV non chirp for $499 online at Cabelas. Am I missing something?

z-man
    Participant
    Dousman, WI

The $449 sale price was a two day only;Feb 27 and Feb 28.

Kevin Brown
    Participant
    Aurora, IL

I paid $499 at BPS last summer for my non-chirp model and I love the customization of it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.