Garmin and Minn Kotta

• James Wascko
    Participant
    S.W Michigan for now.

Has any one hooked these two together and if so, how did they work together?

Also on the list below, are any of these good units compared to Lowrance hds gen3?

Thanks
    James W

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/0NLGtqrmuW3xg2L2gdURi9

List of devices that can utilize the 83kHz and 200kHz frequencies from the Minn Kota transducers:
    4 pin Garmin devices:
    echo 101
    echo 151
    echo 201
    echo 301c
    echo 501c
    echo 551c
    echo 151dv
    echo 201dv
    echo 301dv
    echo 551dv
    echoMAP 4x series
    echoMAP 5x series
    echoMAP 7x series
    echoMAP 9x series
    echoMAP CHIRP 4x series
    echoMAP CHIRP 5x series
    Striker series
    8 pin Garmin devices:
    echoMAP 50s/dv
    echoMAP 70s/dv
    echoMAP CHIRP 7xdv series
    echoMAP CHIRP 9xdv
    GPSMAP 5×7 series
    GPSMAP 7×1 series
    GPSMAP 8xx series
    GPSMAP 10xx series
    GPSMAP 74/76xx series
    12 pin Garmin devices:
    echoMAP CHIRP 7xsv series
    echoMAP CHIRP 9xsv series
    Devices not listed above can use the 200kHz frequency, but will not be able to utilize the 83kHz frequency. The appropriate adapter will still be required.

Reef W
    Participant

You need to use the Garmin transducer to have side and down imaging. You can use the Minnkota transducer only for regular sonar. I have an echoMAP 43DV using the transducer in my Terrova and it works fine.

Ones similar to the Lowrance HDS series would be the echoMAP CHIRP 7xsv and 9xsv units and the GPSMAP series but you would need to use the included transducer as mentioned earlier unless you only want sonar.

James Wascko
    Participant
    S.W Michigan for now.

Thank you Reef!!
    That clears it up quite nicely.
    Have a great 2017 season
    JW

James Wascko
    Participant
    S.W Michigan for now.

@reefwhooligan
    Can you run both transducers on the same unit and switch back and forth or smarter to run two units?

Originally I was thinking motorguide / Lowrance and take advantage of the contour tracking and such, but truthfully I don’t know if I would even use it that much.

I see so many guys switching to garmin or simrad these days and I really was impressed with the 3D .

This is coming from a guy who simply transferred his old Eagle flasher boat after boat. Lol

However that flasher is gone.
    Just want the best, clearest and easiest unit.

Thanks again
    JW

Reef W
    Participant

I’m not sure what you mean, are you asking about using both the Garmin transducer and the Minnkota transducer? If you have the Garmin transducer installed I don’t know why you would want to use the Minnkota transducer. The only reason to use the Minnkota one is to prevent having to install a transducer because it’s already built in to trolling motor. The downsides are you have to have the trolling motor down and it only does regular sonar. The reason it is used is usually if you put a second graph in the front and don’t want to run wires you can plug it into the trolling motor and just use it when you are using the trolling motor.

James Wascko
    Participant
    S.W Michigan for now.

Not sure I did either lol.
    Just thought I could connect both to one unit.

Use rear (Garmin) transducer for full use of Garmin Features and use minn kota transducer for simply reading the basics.

Reef W
    Participant

Not sure I did either lol.
    Just thought I could connect both to one unit.
    Use rear (Garmin) transducer for full use of Garmin Features and use minn kota transducer for simply reading the basics.

No reason to, the Garmin transducer does everything the Minnkota transducer does plus the down/side imaging.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.