Garage Freezer Finally Crapped Out

• bzzsaw
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi

The darn thing was a freebe over 30 years ago. I guess I got my moneys worth from it.

Good news is we noticed it before everything was thawed out. Bad news is there appears to be a shortage of freezers. Seems like TP isn’t the only thing being hoarded. Checked online at Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, and Best Buy. It doesn’t look like they have any in stock. Going to check out a couple of the stores. Might need to release all the walleyes I catch now.

Alagnak Pete
    Participant
    Lakeville

If you find some let us know! I was planning on replacing an old one that I have to defrost once a month and found the same thing- none in stock anywhere. I guess a guy could just buy through a big box store to get on the list and get one when they eventually get some back in stock.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

I’d check out Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist in your area – Seems like Freezers are listed all the time on there. Some of them at Great deals as well. I don’t think I’d spend the money for a new one to put in the Garage.

IceNEyes1986
    Participant
    Harris, MN

Seriously!?!?!? They don’t have em in stock? My procrastination is going to kick me in the A$$… Got a 1/4 beef coming in a week & it won’t all fit in the smallish freezer I do have.. Was planning on going to get one this weekend. Better come up with a plan B…

gregory
    Participant
    Red wing,mn

Seriously!?!?!? They don’t have em in stock? My procrastination is going to kick me in the A$$… Got a 1/4 beef coming in a week & it won’t all fit in the smallish freezer I do have.. Was planning on going to get one this weekend. Better come up with a plan B…

lol same boat here! I guess ive been in denial that the world was ending…

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

Better come up with a plan B…

Plan B store the steaks in my freezer. Will only charge a pair of ribeyes a week.

Outdraft
    Participant
    Western Wi.

Hard to find them, tried to order 1 in early March from menards, we may possibly get it in June.

IceNEyes1986
    Participant
    Harris, MN

Better come up with a plan B…

Plan B store the steaks in my freezer. Will only charge a pair of ribeyes a week.

Lol!!!! Good one. Not sure I can afford the rent though. Just got off the phone with my grandma & she has 1/3 of her upright freezer available for me. That’ll have to do for now. I’ll be getting one ordered when I get home today.

Hard to find them, tried to order 1 in early March from menards, we may possibly get it in June.

I was just on the Menards website & they say they can have one to the store by the 27th of May… bit of a wait but not much of a choice.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Thankfully I just picked up a new stand up freezer for the garage a couple months ago. Ours was dying a slow death and I didn’t want to play freezer roulette with a couple thousand dollars of meat.

IceNEyes1986
    Participant
    Harris, MN

Thankfully I just picked up a new stand up freezer for the garage a couple months ago. Ours was dying a slow death and I didn’t want to play freezer roulette with a couple thousand dollars of meat.

Pretty much the reason I am staying away from used.. You never know what you’ll get & losing meat isn’t an option.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Not sure if anyone checked with them, the place always seems shady, but there is a used appliance store in Anoka across from the metal recycling place of off Ferry by the Fairgrounds.

bigpike
    Participant

We really need a preppers and panic buyers forum. BK you got your ears on?

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

We really need a preppers and panic buyers forum. BK you got your ears on?

He’s off hoarding .22 ammo. rotflol

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

A guy at work went through this last week. They found 1 freezer in Ifalls at Menards and 1 in Virginia. That was it for the state for Menards. They lucked out and found one at a best buy in the cities.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

We have sold every used domestic we had. We now have guys coming in and buying commercial restaurant freezers. Sold 3 USED between $1800 & $2300 in the last week. Our wholesalers have nothing in stock either.

bzzsaw
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi

Update: The old freezer isn’t ready to go to pasture yet. Kind of embarrassed to admit this, but the freezer quit working because the GFI blew in the garage outlet. I didn’t realize this until I tried to vacuum my boat last night. I’d still like to get a new more reliable freezer but at least this will buy me some time until they are available.

If you are in the market for a freezer, I wish you luck. I spent alot of time yesterday looking for new and used. The couple available on Facebook or Craigslist were laughable.

Attachments:
    1. aint-dead-yet.jpg

IceNEyes1986
    Participant
    Harris, MN

If you are in the market for a freezer, I wish you luck. I spent alot of time yesterday looking for new and used. The couple available on Facebook or Craigslist were laughable.

Same thing I found in my search last night. Mostly junk.. Looks like we’ll be ordering one & getting it whenever it arrives. Luckily, for me, my grandparents didn’t get beef this year like in years past, so they have room for whatever I can’t get into my chest freezer at home.

Pailofperch
    Participant
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Anyone have any luck ordering a freezer or finding a good supplier? Parents are gonna need one for butchering soon. So I’m on the hunt.

chuck100
    Participant
    Platteville,Wi.

Yep.I just talked to a guy yesterday that works in a local appliance store.I believe he said they may see some come August.They are a small family owned store so maybe the box stores may see some sooner.
    I guess everyone getting cow may want some Yeties and dry ice.

queenswake
    Participant
    NULL

I saw some chest freezers at the Maple Grove Costco yesterday. I forget the size, but these are not the big ones. But for anyone looking, just thought I’d pass it along.

iowa_josh
    Participant

New code is everything has to be GFCI in a garage but it will cause problems that people are not used to.

Hot Runr Guy
    Participant
    West Chicago, IL

New code is everything has to be GFCI in a garage but it will cause problems that people are not used to.

Only until the permit is signed-off on,,,,,

HRG

Outdraft
    Participant
    Western Wi.

We ordered our freezer in March and not long ago they said probably get it sometime in July

slipbob_nick
    Participant
    Princeton, MN

The gfi sucks in a lot of
    ways. Last year we had the power trip in the house and everything came back on other than the basement freezer. Venison started thawing. We were able to save it but cooked a crap ton of venison meals and froze it versus refreezing the meat that thawed quite a bit

David Vold
    Participant
    Baraboo, WI

I work at a small family run appliance store here in Wisconsin, our sales rep for Whirlpool and also our rep from GE both state that the problem with freezers is they can’t get the compressors to manufacture . We have several on order and have been told end of August first part of September.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.