GARAGE CEILING

• JEREMY
    BP

Any thoughts on a finish for a sheet rocked garage ceiling that doesnt require tape and mud. Just finished the walls and painted and really have zero interest in doing it over my head. Will maybe look to hire it out but was just curious what others may have done that is simpler but still looks good.

ThunderLund78

Not sure how you make it work for fire code (or if you care) but maybe some type of planking? Shiplap/Tongue & Groove? Might get spendy depending on how nice you want it to look, but that’s one way. Otherwise you could go the metal siding route – like a pole shed-style of material.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

My dad did his small work shop with sheet rock just screwed it up without mud and tape if you don’t mind the gaps between the sheets.

Eric G
    Eagle River,WI

well it depends also if its an attached garage you need to put double 5/8 sheet rock up where it attaches to the house for a firewall too

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’d personally go with steel panels from any chain store. The white is glossy enough to reflect light nicely. It is easy to install and will last forever.

JEREMY
    BP

It is attached and all done to code. Just hoping someone knew of a product that was thick enough you could spray or roll on that would fill all the screw holes or something. Have new gray tin i could use but dont know if i wanna do that or not since i already spent the money rocking it.

Charles

Could do a very very thick of knock down. But sheet panels would be better.

JEREMY
    BP

Not to sound stupid but whats a sheet panel?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

if i sheetrocked my garage all the way around and ceiling……..i’d have to build another 10 X 20 shed to store all the stuff inthe rafters and sidewalls! frown doah

JEREMY
    BP

Is it what I already have thats like 3′ x 20′ same you would build a shed out of.

JEREMY
    BP

January 19, 2021 at 11:51 am#2007440
    if i sheetrocked my garage all the way around and ceiling……..i’d have to build another 10 X 20 shed to store all the stuff inthe rafters and sidewalls!

I would have the same issue but the other side of the garage isnt finished so those rafters are full of stuff.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

if i sheetrocked my garage all the way around and ceiling……..i’d have to build another 10 X 20 shed to store all the stuff inthe rafters and sidewalls!

x2 rotflol

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

For what you would spend on materials to cover – whether it’s 1×6 to cover seems or steel/panels, you can hire it out and get it done so it looks uniform

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Steel liner panels. Fastest and IMO looks really good. Durable and good reflective properties.

The cheapest solution is probably what Randy says, hire somebody.

Grouse

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

We sheetrocked my garage ceiling. My Father inlaw taped the seems and we painted it with some texture in the paint. It looked good until the first winter. Some of the tape didn’t hold. Not sure if he did something incorrect taping the seems or if the freezing temps in the winter are too much for finished sheetrock.

andys
    kasson

I’ve been a drywall taper for the last 25 years,unless you keep the garage heated the tape will pull and crack,it’s just a matter of time. Drywall tape and mud are not structural if the building moves the tape will not hold it. The best thing would be to use a paintable caulk in the joints and paint it. It won’t look the best but way better than cracks and pulled tape. When we tape garages there is NO warranty what so ever. Hope this helps.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

1/2″ X 1″ strips.

Attachments:
    1. 20210119_201343.jpg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Don’t worry about it and use the money you save to buy crankbaits you don’t need.

Beast

If I were to do it again,(my garage is sheet rocked walls and ceiling) I would go with either steel or 4×8 sheet siding.

robby
    Quad Cities

This! Even though I have a couple sheds. That saying my garage is not a man cave. If it was and money was an issue, I would just use sheet rock and not finish it. Not fancy but easy to put up, relatively cheap, and reflects light as others have said. I also like the idea of steel. If you want to insulate, same as sheetrock. Heck, Particle board will work! And that is strong enough to hand some stuff from.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.