Funky non-oxy fuel smell

• Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

I have an odd question about a fuel purchase I made last fall. I only use non-oxy fuel in the boat and all of my equipment and I usually purchase between 20-30 gallons of the stuff in 5 gallon cans. I started noticing the worst “funky” smell in the garage and could’ve sworn I had a dead mouse somewhere but then realized it was the fuel I had purchased at Fleeet Farm. I actually thought maybe a mouse had gotten into one of the cans and fermented or something! After checking all of the cans, sure enough they all smelled the same. I ended up using it all and saw no adverse operation or peformance but god…that smell was awful. I even put some in my daughters mower and she was like WTF? Did a search on the web and found nothing but I wrote FF off the non-oxy “go to” list. Anyon ever experienced anything like this or have any thoughts?

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I’ve noticed the same smell, I thought it was bad, so I went to another gas station and same thing! I’m thinking it’s a detergent they add to the gas🤞 As the 91 non oxy I picked up was from a super reputable station.

AK Guy

Same experience for me too. It’s just awful.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Maybe it’s the EPA trying to push their impermeable gas cans. rotflol

Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

Wow…guess I’m not alone then. My apologies to Fleet Farm!

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Yes got mine at kwik trip and exactly the same terrible smell but I called it something different. I’m sure someone knows what the smell is from.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Interesting, I’ve noticed this too over the last few years since buying non-oxy regularly.

It’s an amine chemistry creating the small, that much I’m almost positive about.

I used to work in a chemical plant and had some materials that smelled similar, but much stronger and worse.

Stanley

My non-oxy smells horrible as well. Glad I’m not the only one that has that issue. I thought it was bad so I was going to burn it up in the mower instead of putting it in the boat. I will still put it in the mower now that it’s getting a little older just didn’t want to put it in the boat and have a issue.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I’ve been using non-oxy for many years and have never smelled it. You guys must be sniffin’ gas. rotflol

Musky Ed

I’ve been using Fleet farm 89 for years for my boat, mowers and stuff, never noticed a smell. Guess my d smell buds are shot.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Mine from Speedway at least a month or 2 ago smells like dead fish.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Could be one of two causes for funky smell of non-oxy fuel.
    First cause is covid 19 vaccination. No worries,after the 4th booster to boost the other 3 boosters it “should” fix the sensation. But you will have to wait till the 3rd booster to be developed to get the 4th.

The other cause is your not
    Changing the air out of the gas tank at regular intervals. It’s like changing the air in your tires. Be sure to use an air supply that has a propper industrial grade Heppa filter. I find BP
    Gas stations have the best air. There’s a label on the air supply “HEPPA”
    KWIK TRIP does not have that label on their air supply so use at your own risk. Be very carefull of using any air supply from gas stations that charge money for air they don’t have the label “HEPPA” on them. Some have “heppa” but those are misleading
    What’s happening is the ozone created by the use of corn additive fuels is mixing with the ozone of non-oxy fuels creating a foul smell. Changing the air in the fuel tank with filtered air is the best remedy to the foul smell.
    Be careful not to over inflate so not cause inflation.
    Don’t quote me on this but I believe in Minnesota all air being delivered commercially is mandated to have 10% bio air. So your stuck with foul smelling non-oxy fuel. Hence, you won’t see the “HEPPA” Label but you may see the” heppa” label.

Info obtained from conspiracy.net not to be confused with the debunked conspiracy.com

Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

Ha…well the fuel I posted about stunk but I’m sensing a different smell here! I commend your ability to post such an informative reply at 3:56 am. You do realize you missed April Fools by 6 days right? rotflol

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Ha! Waking up early and not able to go back to sleep. Had to entertain myself with something to do, the girl friend wasn’t having any part in that. Plus this weather is driving me batty! 8)

Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

devil Well if the girlfriend isn’t interested, I guess “entertaining yourself” is the only option. Of course now we’re straying waaaayyyy off topic…

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Back on topic.

Parosmia is a post-COVID-19 condition that can make once-pleasant foods and scents smell and taste disgusting, in some instances like sewage.
    Don’t recommend tasting to test theory.

I think one of the blues got in with greens. Glad the orange are in a different drawer.8)
    Thought it was closer to 4am. Note to self: Get new clock that let’s me change the time.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.