Fun fishing

• Weekender
    Southcentral MN

It’s been a great start to the season thus far. Last week water temps were in the upper 50’s, today the mid 70’s. Last week we got them on jig and minnows, today we used jig & crawlers, or also split-tail plastic minnow baits.

Fish have been shallow in the 4ft to 7ft depth range relating to weed edges.

Took my daughter out after softball practice for a couple hours this evening. She was the big fish winner today!

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20210523-213437_Facebook-1.jpg

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Oops. Not sure how the double picture happened and don’t know how to fix it. doah

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Good job. Looks like the bite has been good for you and the daughter.

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Yep, for the whole family! Decided to switch gears a little today. waytogo

Attachments:
    1. 20210524_092349-scaled.jpg

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Fished a little deeper lake over memorial day. Had fun helping my daughter catch one bluegill after another, then switched gears to walleyes for a little while. Outside weed edge in 9fow. Fantastic day to hit the water for a few hours!

Attachments:
    1. 20210531_112222-scaled.jpg

2. Resized_20210531_104015.jpeg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Nice job! Was wondering if you were out. Looks like those SW lakes treating you good!

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

It’s been a blast thus far. And we’ve had some wonderful fish fries.

tim hurley

You are over your limit with that double picture Week.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Save that nonsense for Facebook Hurley

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

You are over your limit with that double picture Week.

Ha! Yeah, not sure how I got that pic to post twice and I couldn’t figure out how to delete the one photo after it posted. Lol

Gonna give it a go tomorrow morning until I can’t stand the heat. Not too sure what this quick, extreme heat will do to the fishing, but I’ll get out there and see what I can find. I do know this, with Southerly winds blowing for the past few days, I’ll be focusing on north shore weeds. Fish more aggressively as well…. cranks and plastics to start. Maybe pull spinners at 1 – 1.5mph waytogo

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Oops. Not sure how the double picture happened and don’t know how to fix it. doah

I got rid of that double photo. You’re on a solid bite!

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Thanks James! Appreciate the help.

The bite has been real good in the area. I’ve maybe said this in the past for folks, but my process in the spring of the year is to start on small, shallow lakes that warm quicker and then when it gets warm like this, move to the bigger, deeper lakes that don’t warm as quickly.

Case in point, today I hit one of the bigger, deeper lakes in the area. As mentioned yesterday, I started with split tail & paddletail plastics pitching to North shore weedlines, but no dice on the walleyes really. A couple misses and a couple small pike is all I could muster. Perhaps I was working it to aggressively.

So I switched to the old jig & crawler chunk and it was game on pretty quickly. Lots of 11-12’s in the mix, but a real good number of 14’s to 18’s as well. It didn’t take long to get a meal for my family and my folks who are coming for fresh fish tonight. I did pitch a deep diving Salmo for a little while and boated a couple keepers that I released, but that didn’t bode nearly as well as the jig/meat.

Hope everyone is staying cool and safe! I fished from 7:00 to 10:30 this morning and that was enough of the heat for me (plus I had my limit anyway).

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20210607-155617_Gallery.jpg

tim hurley

Sorry Gander, forgot how serious this site is! jester

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Didn’t get the sarcasm, my bad

tim hurley

No worries, see my name and their is a good chance of sarcasm!

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Took my daughter out fishing this morning for a few hours before she had to work. We caught lots of walleye on a jig/crawler combo, but most today were the 9″ to 12″ variety. High sky with no wind makes me wonder if the bigger fish were tighter in the weeds or slid out a little deeper. We did put 4 in the box and caught a couple nice bluegills which seem to be showing up in greater numbers on the outside weed edge. Couple slimers and sheeps as usual too.

All in all a very fun day to be on the water. The dog enjoyed it as well.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.