Fuel type

• Clarence Chapman
    Participant

Have a 2011 Yamaha
    Book says can run 87 octane in it.
    Did they adapt the modern engines to withstand the Ethanol in their systems?

What do you guys run in your modern 4 stroke engines.

Thanks

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Cheap stuff all summer. Last tank of the summer I run non-oxy and treat it over the winter.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I use ethanol free premium in my 2015 4-stroke Merc all season. And all my small seasonal engines.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Non oxy marina fuel in the Mercury 4 stroke 150 on the tritoon (only has about 90 hours on it and has never seen a drop of ethanol in its life).

Non oxy gas station fuel in the 115 Optimax on the fishing boat if traveling, or the same from a fuel barrel by our buildings if fishing locally. Its first 4 years of life with the original owner saw 87 during the year and stored with non oxy 91.

I went through the fuel line deteriorating BS due to ethanol blends in the past on the fishing boat. I agree 100% that there’s no difference in how most outboards run with 87. The issue is all of the components/lines that are quicker to break down or deteriorate with the ethanol.

Swimjiggin
    Participant
    Burnsville/Willmar

We were also told 87 would be fine to use in our 04 yamaha, after twice bringing it in to the dealer cuz it was running so rough we said never again. Havnt had any issues with non oxy.

isu22andy
    Participant

I always run premium in the 2005 Yamaha . Just one less thing to worry about .

Tom P.
    Participant
    Whitehall Wi.

Use what makes you comfortable but my 2000 Optimax 135 has not seen anything but Oxy with a little over 1500 hours. Everything on my farm uses Oxy and nary a problem even old tractors run just fine.

LabDaddy1
    Participant

Always 91 non oxy unless I have no choice in a pinch

LabDaddy1
    Participant

This is also a fresh topic that’s never been touched on! Lol.

You’ll find that the answers are usually split right down the middle…

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

A lot of modern outboards will say you can run 87 (10% ethanol) in your outboard. Absolutely, you can. BUT, fuels with ethanol WILL absorb water over time and can definitely cause problems. I’m sure stabilizer will help but I personally would not put any gas with ethanol in my boat unless I know for sure it’ll be burned completely within 2-4 weeks.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I run regular 87. But I use my boat 3 to 4 times a week

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

I always run non oxy, now I can get 87 non oxy in Prescott, it’s significantly cheaper than 91 non oxy and I don’t need the higher octane. But everywhere else I just buy whatever non I can get, usually 91. Sheldon is wealth of knowledge regarding fuel mixtures, if you can get ahold of him he’s such a helpful and experienced motor head.

LabDaddy1
    Participant

I always run non oxy, now I can get 87 non oxy in Prescott, it’s significantly cheaper than 91 non oxy and I don’t need the higher octane. But everywhere else I just buy whatever non I can get, usually 91. Sheldon is wealth of knowledge regarding fuel mixtures, if you can get ahold of him he’s such a helpful and experienced motor head.

Where about in Prescott? Next time I go fish down that way I’ll fill the boat and a gas can or two. Thanks

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

The new Kwik Trip has non oxy 87, labelled N87, at a few pumps next to the N91.

LabDaddy1
    Participant

Sweet, appreciate it!

tim hurley
    Participant

Bear & Dutch make a good point the oxy stuff will run your engine just fine, the problem is if it sits-so the answer as always is to fish more, Dr. Bear recommends 3x a week, sounds good.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Non oxy only for me. Like others said the ethanol breaks down and causes issues. All small engines and outboards should run non oxy only unless the fuel never gets older than a few weeks old.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

I personally would not put any gas with ethanol in my boat unless I know for sure it’ll be burned completely within 2-4 weeks.

This is the rule I go off.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.