Report – 1/17/04

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I was out in Wtn, SD over the weekend for work but was able to sqeeze a day of fishing in. We headed to Waubay on Saturday morning, arriving aroud 10:30 am. We went to the far north end(and for the life of me, I can’t remember the name of that little town). We headed south out of the public access about 1 mile. There was a very large shanty town south of us, it would be hard to miss. We stayed away from the crowds though. We were fishing a very large flat in 23′ of water. Our tip-ups starting going off right away, but the size was very small, 12 inches at best. We caught six fish in the first hour, then nothing. The cold front was moving in and the wind really picked up. I’m guessing this had a huge affect on the fish. When we were catching fish, plain red hooks and white/glow genz jigs seemed to be the hot ticket. I did some jigging, but never saw a fish on the vex or the camera. All in all, it was a pretty decent bite up to noon.

We headed back to Wtn and fished Kampeska for the evening bite. We had two flags, both hook sets pulled the minnows right out of their mouths. It got very cold as the sun was setting and the wind was hitting us at 20 + mph. I could hear the Prop calling my name so we were off the ice by 6:00.

scottsteil
    Participant
    Central MN

Waterfowler, if I remember right, that was the weekend we had the big wind. My brother-in-law fished that weekend out there. You were South of Grenville I would imagine if you saw the big Shanty Town. They had 6 walleye and 6 perch but pretty much got blown off the lake after Saturday afternoon. Tough fishing, Sunday was terrible I guess.

Overall the bite sounds really good though.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Yes, the wind did blow like mad, especially later on Saturday afternoon and Sunday. It got darn cold Saturday afternoon, so I’m sure that cold front killed the fishing. I can always tell when I’m getting close to home, gotta hold the steering wheel at 30+ degree angle to keep her on the road.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.