Icy Eyes

• Anonymous

Any Eyes being taken through the ice these days?
    Jack

guideman
    Lake Vermilion, Tower, Minnesota

Hi Jack,

As a matter of fact, the walleye bite has begun to improve over the last week. There was a report of two mondo walleyes taken in Big Bay, a 31.5 and 31″. They were caught on glow jigs and small suckers in 32ft of water.

Anonymous

Thanks for reply Ace,
    Those are indeed mondo eyes. I caught my first 8 pounder on the Big V the summer before last, it went 28.25 in.
    Do you know a summer guide known as Nord?
    I can not wait to return to Vermilion in May.
    Jack

guideman

Hey Jack,

Yea the guys name is Gary Nordlie, he has been guiding up here for about 25 years. However he only guides on the west end.

Anonymous

He’s the one! I just got an e-mail from him upon his return from the Big V claiming to have caught some good ice eyes!. I take that with a little salt as he has been known to embellish the facts.:)
    Jack

guideman

Hey Eyejacker,

I talked to Nordo on the phone this morning, said he did pretty well last time he was up here. Him and I get a chance to work together on occasion, and he has won my walleye tournament twice. The last week of the season hasn’t been to good so far, many of the locals have already removed their ice shacks. I plan on getting out at least one or two more days this week, maybe I’ll find me a couple of pigs, to finish the season on.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.