FTL Visitor Pic – Dan L.’s 52″ Vermillion ‘ski..!

• Anonymous

Count your fingrs and toes after a run-in with a critter this size! Holy smokes…. send out to us by Dan Lazzeroni from Laona, WI. This particular fish taped 52″ and was caught on Lake Vermilion on 8/10/02.

Awesome fish and photo Dan. Thanks for sending it out to us.

If anyone else has a photo or two they’d like to share with us here at FTL, simply send the photo out as a .jpg attachment in an e-mail to [email protected] and we’ll gladly get that posted here just as quickly as we can.

MuskyTom
    Mallard Island, Lake Vermilion, Tower Minnesota

I know that fish!
    Lives over by @#$(@%$#$^ Reef!

Ate a Gull, three Muskrats, one mink and a Crow in June.

Mean fish, hungry to!

Nice one Danny boy.

T.

dannyboy

thanks tom
    i thought maybe this one ate at mcdonalds like i do and is skinny-just kidding.
    maybe this summer it’s bigger and i catch it again. or i go for his big brother.
    does anyone know if the so called 60″er someone claimed to have gotten last summer was ever verified? not saying there isn’t one in there, just would like to see a picture of it.
    whats the largest caught in vermilion? maybe one of us will get lucky and beat that this summer.

dannyboy
    dannyboy

guideman
    Lake Vermilion, Tower, Minnesota

Hey Dannyboy,
    Beautiful fish there man!
    That 60″er has yet to be verified, at least to my knowledge. The largest one I know of is a 55.5″er
    caught on the west end last summer.

Now where did you say you caught that beauty?

dannyboy

thankyou it was awesome to catch. actually that won the lake vermilion musky challenge 2002.
    i thought maybe there was no conformation on that 60″er. who caught the 55.5 and do you know of a picture i could see. west end too. cool.
    i told you where my fish was caught, lake vermilion.east end. but unfortunately not by this now famous cabbage patch near your dock. tom must have that spot all to himself.

dannyboy

guideman

Hey Dannyboy,I thought that fish looked familiar…

I heard some other stories about fish at the 60″ mark, and even one above 60″. However, it’s my opinion, that that is all they were, “Stories”. It was a good friend of mine that caught the 51″er that finished in second place. We had moved that fish the day before the tournament, but he got there first.

Ace Guide Service.

Beautiful Lake Vermilion.

dannyboy

ace 51 must have been cool to catch too. did he catch that on toms little cabbage spot? gonna have to mark that one in my gps eh?
    maybe one of us will catch this elusive 60 incher this summer. hope so eh?
    take care

dannyboy

Anonymous

Great Pic! I have spent summers on Lake Vermilion for the last 4 years and am looking forward to the 5th. Did this fish come from the West end?
    Jack

dannyboy

fish was caught on east end. there are some dandy’s on the west end too.
    dannyboy

Anonymous

Thanks dannyboy,
    I used to be a muskie fanatic myself. Figured I scaled the heights with my 50″ caught many years ago out of the Mississippi River. Been thinking of giving it a turn again this season.:)
    Jack

dannyboy

give vermilion a shot, i have had a ball up there the last 2 years. long drive from wi but well worth it. im sure you’ll enjoy the scenery,people and most of all the muskie. its a good walleye lake too but i chase musky only so far. might try walleyes on the openner but thats because muskie doesn’t open til june.
    good luck,
    dannyboy

Anonymous

dannyboy,
    I too am from WI. I have been spending my summers on Vermilion (May -Sept) for the last 4 years. I know the West end pretty well. I have set up several GPS routes to get me into and back out of the East end, which I will probe next summer. I fish walleyes alot…caught my first 8 pounder summer before last on Vermilion! Great Lake!!
    Jack

guideman

Hey Jack,

Now is the timet get back into muskie fishing, I doubt there is anywhere else on the planet better than Vermilion is right now!

Anonymous

Hey guideman,
    What do you recommend for a good muskie rod?
    Jack

dannyboy

jack, where are you from in wi? im in laona, east of rhinelander.
    i think guideman is right. vermilion is very hot right now. some real dandies in there.
    good luck with them.

dannyboy

Anonymous

I am from the Hudson area. I know the boys in the bass tournament, held last summer on the Big V, tangled with a number of muskies while fishing in the tourney.
    Jack

guideman

Hi Jack,

For a good all around rod look at a 7ft MH action in the $75 to $120 range. St croix has some very good models that are modestly priced or you can go with the Avid series for a few more bucks.

I also like the Fenwick muskie series rods, they have a great lifetime warranty and they are very reasonable as well. There are some other options, but I wasn’t sure how much you wanted to spend.

These are 2 of the best retail over the counter rods you can buy, at least IMHO.

You may want to consider buying two rods, one for jerking and one for throwing hair, or trolling a crankbait. More fish are taken on a bucktail than any other bait, so make that rod your priority.

Anonymous

thanks for the g2 on the muskie rods guideman! caught my 50″ on a cisco topper a lilttle after mid-night some years ago, therefore, also like to have a few surface lures in the box.
    Jack

guideman

Hey Jack,

The Big V is one of the best topwater lakes I’ve ever fished. By mid July it’s my favorite pattern especialy late in the day. Some of my favorites are Hogwobblers, Creepers, Jackpots, topraiders and Thunderheads. Any color will work, as long as it’s black, did I tell you I like black?

Anonymous

Just one more question guideman…do you have a color preference?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.