Rainy Lake Fatties

• drew-evans
    rochester MN

As I’ve done for 6+ years myself and a small group of friends have joined chris granrude in the search for late season giant crappies in the maze of islands and cuts of Rainy lake! Just like every other year chris and the great border lake did not disappoint!
    The bite this year was one we would work very hard for, unlike years past when winter was on its way out, this year the brutal winter of 2013/14 still had a strong grip on the lake. The snow was deep on the lake causing some difficult travel due to slush, but we were determined and made it to the fishing spots with minimal issues……. though we did have a few. starting with one of our sleds breaking down in the middle of the back country of rainy. Chris was to the rescue the next day though with his beast of a bear cat! towing the sled to the safety of land!
    With snow depths and minimal sun light making it through the ice, that causes the bugs in the mud to hatch and in turn the crappies to school up, We were forced to drill allot of holes and search for crappies through out the basins. we were able to ice a good amount of fish by drilling drilling and drilling, hopping hole to hole picking roaming fish off here and there.
    We caught plenty of fish for a fish fry and some to bring home including some giant white fish! we had many crappies at and near 14″ including the two i have here. i also seemed to not get away from the walleyes even on a crappie trip as you see i managed to ice some rainy gold! most of our fish came on heavy jigs tipped with numerous plastics, fishing over deep basins.
    This years ice should last late into April and make for some great late ice crappie fishing, good luck to anyone heading up to take on the giant paper mouths of border country!!

Drew Evans

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

Granrud is a great guide there on rainy! He always puts his clients on he fish!

stuart
    Mn.

Sounds like you had a blast with Chris and company!

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I think its funny that Chris can’t post here anymore (or chooses not too?). He used to have a post every day here with pictures and stories (very talented writer..) but must be on another site I’m guessing now. I take that back, it’s not funny it’s actually kinda’ sad. Congrats on some great fishing! RR

John Peterson
    Woodbury, Minnesota

Quote:

I think its funny that Chris can’t post here anymore (or chooses not too?). He used to have a post every day here with pictures and stories (very talented writer..) but must be on another site I’m guessing now. I take that back, it’s not funny it’s actually kinda’ sad. Congrats on some great fishing! RR

I miss Chris’s post as well…

By the way 1 more post and you are 1,000

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

Nice recap Its always an adventure.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Chris doesn’t post much on other sites much either. Mostly just does Facebook. He sure knows the lake and his posts gave great up to date fishing reports.

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

Chris is with clam now. He posts on lake state.

FishingQueen
    International Falls, MN

It is funny, Chris burns every bridge he builds! He has a falling out with all of his friends at some point… Cant keep the BS up forever.
    I have to say, its a lot better reading posts now not having to wade thru all of the muck. Good job James!!!

walleyewest
    west of millwakee, east of seattle, south of hudson bay, north of mexico

needless to say that is a little Icy!
    winter getting to ya a little babe?

lzika

Thanks for the report, Drew. Congratulations on icing some beautiful crappies!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.