• Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

Whaching Bassmasters on espn 2 kvd keeps foul hooked fish what a joke

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Isn’t that against Bassmaster rules?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

The interpretation of “foul hooked” would dictate whether or not it was a violation.

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

i would hope so or bassmasters is like all star wreastling

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

if a fish swipes at a bait and gets hooked you’re ok if you’re sight fishing a fish and bites he has to be hooked inside the mouth to be legal for bass rules,some state laws vari,then you have to look at state laws. Thaths why the biggg bass they caught in california a couple of years ago was let go,possibly a new word record. it was hooked outside the mouth and state regs say no foul hooked fish!
    stan

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

this fish was hooked in the tail

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

The fishes aim must have been off!by that much

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

this fish was hooked in the tail

Was his lure of choice a plain treble hook?

kris_brantner
    My river

like stated before it dosent matter where it was hooked as long as he was not sight fishing. if you were to run a crank over the back of a bedded bass he clearly was fishing for and snagged him that would not be a legal catch

sandmannd

Quote:

like stated before it dosent matter where it was hooked as long as he was not sight fishing. if you were to run a crank over the back of a bedded bass he clearly was fishing for and snagged him that would not be a legal catch

That wouldn’t be a legal catch in MN.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

That wouldn’t be a legal catch in MN.

I have to admit that I’m a little stunned that a tail hooked fish can be considered a legal catch ANYWHERE.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

How about if you are sight fishing and you close your eyes before you cast?

James, I am more than stunned. I am offended.

kris_brantner
    My river

well as far as i know mn rules do not apply in florida

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

if you watch the pro’s with crankbaits..they literally turn fish back and forth to get “more hooks” into them.. Clunn does it, KVD does it.. so may be this fish was “mouth hooked,” and then he got another hook into the fish and the mouth hook came out..

basically did it look like the fish was reeled in backwards..?

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

i hope you’re bashing the rule and not KVD…Whether it seems right or not, it is a legal catch in the tournament and on the waters that he was fishing. He’s not going to throw it back with money on the line due to a moral dilema. Perhaps the rule could be tweaked but don’t knock the master of the game!

walleye_slayer
    cannon falls, mn

he is supposed to be a pro that isnt professional

rmartin
    United States

Quote:

may be this fish was “mouth hooked,” and then he got another hook into the fish and the mouth hook came out..

This happens quite often. Also, a hooked fish can get off and be snagged as it escapes or gets foul hooked after swiping at the bait and missing. If this made it onto TV, then the laws must be different in Florida regarding foul hooked fish. I am sure if not, then contest officials could take whatever action may have been necessary to disallow the catch. I am not saying that this is ethical, but how many times in pro sports do you see someone take a dive or fake an injury or own up to a bad refs call?

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

i didn”t see it but I’m willing to bet if it wasn’t leagal it wouldn’t of been kept and for sure it wouldn;t of been shown unless it was ruled an infraction

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

Whether it seems right or not, it is a legal catch in the tournament

Are you positive about this statement? KVD is great, but NO ONE is above reproach…except if you are a Christian like me…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t fault Mr. Van Dam at all if those are the FLA regs and the tourney allows it.

I am still offended that in FLA and in Bassmasters that this is considered a catch. Well, maybe offended is a strong word since this affects me 0 literally.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

There are quite a few states that allow catching fish as long as you don’t intentionally snag it.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

There are quite a few states that allow catching fish as long as you don’t intentionally snag it.

Same for mn. You can catch any fish you unintentionally snag.

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

If you were in a tournament and there was over $10,000 on the line i GUARANTEE you would keep that fish no hesitation. Yea you didn’t hook it in the mouth but it was legal.

GO KVD!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Just watched the episode – Mark Zona even clarified that it was a legal catch…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.