Iowa will now have a Dove hunting season!!!

• stuart
    Participant
    Mn.

About time !!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

“But right now there’s a lot of emotion out there and hurt feelings and I’m sure that those things will fade in time.”

Congrats!

Although I haven’t gone hunting for dove since it was made legal again in MN, I did have a few meals of doves when I was a mere tot. I found out after time that those meals shouldn’t be talked about.

They were fantastic!

Again, Congrats to Iowa!

cat dude
    Participant
    Arlington, MN

Good for you. Always fun to be able to get some shooting in before the fall seasons start.

walleyejgr
    Participant

Ya-H0000!!!! It’s about time they did it!

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

Quote:

Quote:

I found out after time that those meals shouldn’t be talked about.

Ok Brian, I’ve got to ask, ?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Well, there are some people that at a certain point while growing up they have that “Ah Hah!” moment?

Like when they have their 17th birthday and a couple months later their parents have their 17th anniversary? All of the sudden it hits them…Ah HAH!

Well, I don’t recall how old I was when Dad would have his friends over for a noon meal of fried dove, but I do recall how good it was eating the leg bone and all. The bones were so small and it was fried so we just ate the whole leg. Crunch crunch.

Then I heard the season was close so there was an end to the dove meals.

One day I was talking to someone about the season being closed and how good they were. He said there hadn’t been a season since the ’50’s. I argued with him since I was born in ’56 and thought the season was closed in the ’60’s sometime because that’s when I had my last meal.

Did a little research and….AH HAH!

I hope there’s a statute of limitations on eating a protected bird.

herb
    Participant
    6ft under

Not to worry Bk, nobody ever believes you anyway.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Perfect!

herb
    Participant
    6ft under

I agree, it’s about time Iowa gets to shoot doves. Now, can someone please get the ball rolling on a pelican/cormorant season?
    Tongue in cheek…………..sorta.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

How do they taste Herb? Dad never fried any of those for me.

herb
    Participant
    6ft under

Tastes like chicken of course.

smackem
    Participant
    Iowa Marshall Co

Quote:

Well, there are some people that at a certain point while growing up they have that “Ah Hah!” moment?

Like when they have their 17th birthday and a couple months later their parents have their 17th anniversary? All of the sudden it hits them…Ah HAH!

Well, I don’t recall how old I was when Dad would have his friends over for a noon meal of fried dove, but I do recall how good it was eating the leg bone and all. The bones were so small and it was fried so we just ate the whole leg. Crunch crunch.

Then I heard the season was close so there was an end to the dove meals.

One day I was talking to someone about the season being closed and how good they were. He said there hadn’t been a season since the ’50’s. I argued with him since I was born in ’56 and thought the season was closed in the ’60’s sometime because that’s when I had my last meal.

Did a little research and….AH HAH!

I hope there’s a statute of limitations on eating a protected bird.

I remember eating them as a kid too and I’ve lived in Iowa all my life

jerad
    Participant
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

I listened to the live feed from the chambers during the debate. You guys would not believe what some of the whacko liberal dems were coming up with. Rep Mascher from Iowa City was just full of useful facts

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

In MY OPINION…I believe the season (in MN) was close originally but the phone and power companies.

The way most people hunted them was in a car, driving along with your half pint of favorite brandy being passed back and forth, using a .22 and shooting them off the power/phone wires. Without doves around the temptation to shoot the glass insulators was great.

‘Course I don’t know this for a fact and if my power bill goes up next month…the above is totally wrong.

chomps
    Participant
    Sioux City IA

it is about time, some of the things I read had a correlation between doves and winged angels, I can not make this up

farmboy1
    Participant
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

What are you saying? My Dad always told me it was because I was special.

walleye_wisdom
    Participant
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

If I recall, one of the arguments some nut job representative was using was “the doves will be taking the lead shot and feeding it to the baby does, and therefore killing them with lead poisoning.” Seriously that was just one of the off the wall arguments this lady was using. I wish I could find typed excerpts from her argument.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

While it would be funny to read, the facts are simple. Hunting is under attack in many, many forms. From the tree hugger TV shows trying humanize animals to the anti-gun wing. The sad part is, no one cares more about our resources than sportsman.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.