quantum baitcaster drag help

• jdlando4
    Participant

I have a new quantum PT catylast baitcaster reel that the drag will not hold when tightened completely down. I tore it apart and the single drag washer looks to be very clean and hard. The backside of the washer where it sits into the drive gear is also very clean and oil/grease free. Would this drag washer possible need a light film of grease etc on it to create some friction? It acts like there is no way to create any resistance when tightened down since the drag washer and gear are both hard surfaces. ???? Thanks in advance!

tom_gursky
    Participant
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

How much drag are you getting? Casting reels that size only offer 14-16 lbs of drag maxed out…

kris_brantner
    Participant
    My river

only way to get rid of the problem is to throw it away and buy a shimano or daiwa

tom_gursky
    Participant

Quote:

only way to get rid of the problem is to throw it away and but a shimano or daiwa

I’ll bet you wouldn’t tell KVD that!

jdlando4
    Participant

I have a couple of these, the others you can tighten the drag down to the point its really hard to pull line out. This one tightened down completely you can pull line out rather easily. Its actually brand new and was that way out of the box, just forgot to return it in a timely fashion. I tore one of the good ones apart and everything seems to be the same…..IE nothing missing or misplaced…Thanks

kizew
    Participant
    Dallas, WI

This may sound dumb, but if you have braid on the reel with no backing, such as mono or electrical tape on it, the braid can just spin on the spool.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Tom is right on with the amount of drag resistance.

I’ve only sent a couple of reels back to Quantum for service, and they both were handled in a very timely manor and no issudes.
    From Quantum :Purchaser should return defective products postage prepaid, insured with proof of purchase direct to Quantum at 6105 E. Apache, Tulsa, OK 74115. Quantum will repair or replace products at its option and return direct to purchaser.

Kris, its because of my experiences with sham-whiny-0 customer service that I am a die hard Quantum guy!

Every manufacture deals with defective products. It happens! But most importantly, it is HOW they deal with it.

Quantum Troubleshooting

slipperybob
    Participant
    Lil'Can, MN

As it happens that sometimes the drag washer or one of the plates are not flat enough and you aren’t getting enough drag surface contact. You can sometimes check it out with a marker and just color the one side of the plates and gently run it over some smooth sandpaper. You’ll see where the marker color rubs off. You could sand it smooth and flat if you want to take care of it yourself. Sending it in is probably easier to take care of the problem.

tom_gursky
    Participant

Thats NOT a dumb question Kizew… good point!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.