The best of both worlds?

• yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

I am looking for a new ice flasher, but also would like to update my depth finder on my boat. Does anyone make a unit that will work for both hard water and open water. I know Lowrance has a couple of those units but not sure how well they work. I am a fan of the Marcum flashers but was looking to get two birds with one stone.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I use my LX-5 with the high speed transducer on the boat during the open water season and love it. Mike uses his LX-5 out of the boat with the trolling motor kit.

wally1992
    Evansville MN

All you need is a high speed transducer.Bought mine 3-4 yrs ago and was around $70. Works great.

red89
    Hudson

I am planning on getting a puck from marcum for my bow trolling motor, but $80

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

I use my LX-5 with the high speed transducer on the boat during the open water season and love it. Mike uses his LX-5 out of the boat with the trolling motor kit.

This will be the 4th season that my lx5 has pulled double duty. The hi-speed ducer on the front bow mount works great.

foxman79
    Anoka, MN

I like the way you think. IMO you should decide if you want a flasher that can be used on a boat, or a depth finder that can also be used on the ice. In other words, are you primarily an open water fisherman or an ice guy.

I primarily fish open water, so I bought a lowrance hds and then added the ice-ducer. It has a flasher mode, and I think it works great, but it does drain the battery as opposed to a true flasher.

red89
    Hudson

This will be the 4th season that my lx5 has pulled double duty. The hi-speed ducer on the front bow mount works great.

Do you guys have mounting brackets for the boat, or do you just leave it in the soft case? Are you talking about the puck transducer?

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Quote:

Yup what he said.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

Do you guys have mounting brackets for the boat, or do you just leave it in the soft case? Are you talking about the puck transducer?

This is the ducer…..simple install. I have a bracket but have never needed it. Just lay the unit on the casting deck.

wally1992
    Evansville MN

It comes with the mounting bracket. You just have to take it out of your hardwater package.

yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

How does your Lowrance hold up to the cold. Does it pick up interference from other flashers?

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I have herd great things about having either a Marcum or vex on the front of the boat. I really need to get one. I just got the fl-22hd from vexilar and am trying to figure out where to put the mount since I have my other unit on the bow. I might have to do a little re arranging if I do get the trolling motor mount for the boat.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

I have been leaving my LX-5 in the soft pack. In seconds the transducer cord is plugged in and the unit is working. This kept me from having to hide a fuse linked power cord to the battery in my floater.

Mike however has a nice rig and used the bracket to mount his LX-5 in the front of the boat. Both operations work great.

yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

Thanks everyone for the input!

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Would the built in transducer on the Terrova work?

And could you wye that lead and run both a flasher and graph??

Al

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Would the built in transducer on the Terrova work?

And could you wye that lead and run both a flasher and graph??

Al

To my knowledge there’s no available universal connector for the MarCum flashers to connect to the internal transducer.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

How about a Humminbird Ice 55/385ci combo?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.