Florida fishing with Walleye gear?

• walleye_wisdom
    Participant
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

So I’ll be heading to Florida here in a couple weeks and I’d love to pack a rod and reel, just wondering how much fishing can be done with regular spinning gear?

I’ll be in the town of St. Augustine. Not sure if there are canals there that hold fish or if I’d be able to cast the surf with spinning gear or if I need a “surf” setup?

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!

poppy402
    Participant
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

I bring a rod down to fish sheephead by the piers and stuff. A 6’6 medium heavy spinning rod gets the job done. As for other inshore species such as reds, snook etc i think you want something a little heavier.

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

So I’ll be heading to Florida here in a couple weeks and I’d love to pack a rod and reel, just wondering how much fishing can be done with regular spinning gear?

I’ll be in the town of St. Augustine. Not sure if there are canals there that hold fish or if I’d be able to cast the surf with spinning gear or if I need a “surf” setup?

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!

Last time we were down there we were using a 2500 series reel and a 6’6″ medium weight rod. Braid was the line of choice. Not sure on line weight.

jighead-two
    Participant
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I usually stop by Wal-Mart and pick up an Ugly Stick Combo or some other inexpensive glass combo. A hand full of jigs and some Gulp. Maybe take your minnow bucket for some live shrimp. Wash your gear EVERY time when you’re finished. Don’t forget a pair off long needle nose pliers, the fish down there have teeth! I have thought about spending a chunk of change and getting a decent salt water reel.

buzzer
    Participant
    Garnavillo Iowa

Nice photos Wade there should be som Canals down there to fish When I lived in florida I did a lot of fishing on the Golf courses lots of bass to be caught watch out for the gators they sneak up on you I’d recommend a good 30lb braid I was fishing 80lb power pro when I lived in florida I carried a sharp knife had to cut my line a couple times on 6 ft plus gators I used a 6’6″ mh rod and a 4000 shimano if u fish salt water make shure to rinse rod guides line and reen with fresh water

matt-p
    Participant
    White Bear Lake, MN

I have been told that you can get away with fishing with “bass gear” so I would assume this means like a 6’6″ medium/ medium heavy rod, at least a 3000 series reel (using shimano specs ) could maybe get away with a 2500? and 30lb braid at least.

Then some gulp and hooks. As well as a pliers.

Dave Ansell
    Participant
    Rushford, MN

With the extra hassle and potentially the cost of transporting the rod, I usually bring a decent reel and pick up a cheap rod at like Walmart or cheap discount store and leave it at a bait shop or with guests I stay with. Jigs and gulp will catch a lot of species – most of the fish down there have nasty teeth that will destroy standard plastics.

Good luck

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

One limitation on the surf fishing will be how much weight you can throw out. No way your flinging a 2 ounce pyramid sinker with your walleye rod.

walleye_wisdom
    Participant

Good idea Jighead2, I think I will try and find a two piece Ugly Stick I can use to chuck bait out with.

Wade – were you fishing from a private boat or a paid guide? I’d be willing to spend a bit to get on some fish, my g/f would love it.

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Good idea Jighead2, I think I will try and find a two piece Ugly Stick I can use to chuck bait out with.

Wade – were you fishing from a private boat or a paid guide? I’d be willing to spend a bit to get on some fish, my g/f would love it.

Both, we got a guide to take us out. After going out there and realizing how simple it was. We rented a pontoon boat and some gear 2 days later and went out all day on our own schedule for about 1/2 what we paid the guide.

I’m not being negative on the guide. It was a blast and we learned a lot. Especially about tide and the bite.

walleye_wisdom
    Participant

Wade – Were you in or around St Augustine and do you have any recomendations for a guide?

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Wade – Were you in or around St Augustine and do you have any recomendations for a guide?

I can’t recommend anyone. I was on the Gulf side. I would think and mangroves and canals are the same on the Atlantic side as on the Gulf side. If you do want a guide, I would recommend calling around and just talking to potential guides. You’ll get a feel for who you’ll get along with and who you may not.

das_bass
    Participant
    Mound, MN

Wade,

How did you like Marco Island? Looks like you were fishing a spot I like down there!

I agree with the idea of buying something from Walmart or Target to use down there, and doubly agree with washing everything off with fresh water after you are done fishing for the day. Also, be sure to keep your gear inside as the mist in the morning has salt in it too.

If you DO bring your walleye stuff, be sure to take the reel apart when you get home and give it a good cleaning.

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Wade,

How did you like Marco Island? Looks like you were fishing a spot I like down there!

I agree with the idea of buying something from Walmart or Target to use down there, and doubly agree with washing everything off with fresh water after you are done fishing for the day. Also, be sure to keep your gear inside as the mist in the morning has salt in it too.

If you DO bring your walleye stuff, be sure to take the reel apart when you get home and give it a good cleaning.

I really enjoyed it. Especially since Marco Island goes to bed at 9 PM. I’m a fan of going to bed early and getting up before the sun.

Also Marco allows you being in close proximity to so many other outdoor options with a 4 hour drive. Oh yeah, and it’s warm in the winter.

jighead-two
    Participant
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

What I posted was used in the Ft. Meyers-Sanibel area, that’s the only area I’ve fished.

andyboo
    Participant
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

Quote:

…I’d love to pack a rod and reel, just wondering how much fishing can be done with regular spinning gear?

I grew up about 35 miles away from St. Augustine; in Jacksonville Beach. I was a total beach rat and did tons of fishing and now I’m a hardcore walleye fisherman. Leave your walleye rods at home. That salt water or the brackish water will eat your rods right up. The salt water will corrode everything in that reel. So, make sure to rinse everything off. Plus, I don’t know about the fishing license fees there anymore. My suggestion is, get in the phonebook when you are in St. Augustine and find an off-shore drift boat. They supply ALL the rods, reels, and bait. They’re very similar to the launches at Mille Lacs. But,in St. Augustine, you’ll catch fish. Its about $50/day for a FULL day of fishing. Another suggestion if you don’t want to go out on a drift boat, buy a cheap salt water set-up when you get down there. You can get them anywhere and when you are done with your visit, you can bring it back as a souvenier. Make sure to check on the license fees before you wet a line.

P.S. Don’t forget to take Dremamine (sea sick) pills.

rmartin
    Participant
    United States

I would also leave the walleye rods at home, especially if they are the expensive ones. Last time I was down there, you needed a saltwater fishing license for salt and a separate license for freshwater. To keep snook, you need a snook permit. If you go out on a charter, the charter may cover your license or if they or you go out past coastal waters, you might not need one.

Be sure to rinse all terminal tackle before putting it back in your tacklebox as the salt seems to get everywhere.

link to regulations

walleye_wisdom
    Participant

Thanks for the tips! I will be looking up some drift boats but also get a cheap setup to use everyday. I’m getting excited!

I checked the regs and have all of that squared away!

Any more tips would be great!

mbenson
    Participant
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

If you do go offshore, make sure you know what the water temps are out there… For example water temps offshore in the 60’s and a full day of that with out heavier clothing doesn’t make for a lot of fun!!! And if you take FW with you, you know how fast it get cold for them!!! Seasickness is the other issue offshore.

I do like guides in shore and the experience better as well. You will be fishing with 20-30# braid with appropriate terminal tackle and casting 1/4 oz stuff… No seasickness generally, just fishing at home for the most part.

Mark

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.