Refrigerator problems

• Opie
    Participant
    Coon Rapids, MN

I hope you guys (in the general term) can help me out with some advice. Our Maytag French door fridge quit cooling this morning and now I think the freezer is out also. Been checking temps, fridge is now at 60 and freezer at 20. Some of the freezer may be me opening the doors all the time to remove items?? Tried all the easy things….controls colder, cleaning coils, etc., but nothing seems to be working. Unit is about 8 years old. Not noticing fan blowing in fridge and haven’t heard any clicking noises like the compressor wanting to start.

If I can’t fix it myself, can anyone recommend a good company in the north metro to call? Or is it possibly not worth repairing?

Thanks,
    Dean Thorn

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

There should be a fan blowing, typically in the upper left hand corner of the fridge, assuming the freezer is on the left. It sounds like what I had a couple years ago, a circulating fan, freezer stays cold longer and fridge is warm… I want to say it was about $250 for the house call and repair…. better than a couple G’s for a new one

snowgeezer
    Participant
    Zumbrota, MN

Maytag has a service recall on the compressor motor starter relay on refrigerators about the age or year you said yours is. If you can find the relay and it is hot or clicks and the compressor won’t start it is very likely the problem. We had ours quit about 2 years age and that was the problem. You will have to contact your dealer or try an on line search. An authorized service tech came to my home and replace it free of charge. I also work at a senior citizen complex and had one go out. Checked all the other units and found a total of 12 units in the model/serial number range of the suspect units. They replaced all of them – no charge even though some had been repaired by a local repiar shop. Hope this helps.

AllenW
    Participant
    Mpls, MN

You find the model I might be able to find some troubleshooting info for ya, plus service updates.

Al

rkd-jim
    Participant
    Fountain City, WI.

I have a Maytag side-by-side and the thing freezes up once in a while and will not auto-defrost. I take the back panel off in the freezer and take the wifes hair dryer to it. The Maytag repairman taught me that at quite an expense. Once it thaws out fully, it will run ok for another 8-10 monthes. Feel the back panel in the freezer and see if there is frost there. That is a pretty good indicator that that is your problem. I believe I have owned my last Maytag appliance.

Indytransplant
    Participant
    Pierre, S.D.

RKD If your frig. can be defrosted then run for 8-10 mos. your problem could be tha adaptive defrost timer up in the control area. Have replaced several for that very problem. also check the defrost terminator to see if its coming apart, also common with frigidair, they can become intermitant if moisture gets into them.

Indytransplant
    Participant
    Pierre, S.D.

Opie If your freezer is a slide out/pull out check the back wall to see if theres frost on it. If so you have a defrost problem. take the drawers out then check the side rail infront by the door. if theres a screw there remove the screws and pick up the front of the door it should come loose. take the side slides out paying attension to the timing on the gears. then side panels for the slide out. back comes off next but slides down to disconect thermostat and other wires. defrost and reassemle. shut me a pm with model and can give other causes.

joejingle
    Participant
    Iowa, sometimes Arkansas

did u get it fixed yet

Opie
    Participant
    Coon Rapids, MN

Thanks for all the replies. The model is MFD2560HES. The freezer seems to be working great. Ice maker is making good ice. Stonecutter, I think you may have it. The back wall of the freezer does have some frost up it. Will try to take it apart tomorrow and give an update.

Dean Thorn

Indytransplant
    Participant
    Pierre, S.D.

Opie. the model number given has had some problems with the control board(jazz board). If when you get it apart and its still froze check the contiuity of the heater and cut out, has to be below 30 degrees, if they check as good,(shorted) replace the control as it controls everything, compressor ,fans, and defrost cycle. part #12868513 to get to the control remove light cover by sliding to rear. The control has catches on the back on both sides and pulls down. good luck.

Opie
    Participant
    Coon Rapids, MN

Well, tried the easy but not cheap route and replaced the jazz board. Got it programmed, all back together, no difference. Took the freezer compartment apart this morning, no ice/frost on the coils, just wet. As said before, freezer is working great, but no cooling in the fridge. What/how to check next……the defrost limiter thing or possibly the fan that blows the air up to the fridge compartment?

Thanks,
    Dean

lonewolf
    Participant
    La Crosse, WI

On mine the damper between the Fridge and freezer frozed up an broke in the closed position. Mine is side by side maytag with a damper in the bottom left corner and top left corner of the fridge. The top one is the one that broke. Check to see if that damper is open allowing cold air to come in from the freezer.

Steve Plantz
    Participant
    SE MN

Welcome to In-DepthOutdoors snowgeezer!!!

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

If the freezer is cold and the fridge is not… it is more than likely the circulating fan, that’s blows the cold air into the fridge… it should be blowing constantly, if your fridge is warm… if it is not… there you go

Opie
    Participant
    Coon Rapids, MN

Changed out the circulating fan, working fine now. Thanks everyone for the help. I know a lot more about the workings of a refrigerator now.

Dean

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.