Which path do I take?

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I know with all the recent weather related tragedies, my problem is pretty insignificant, but I am at a crossroads.

Here is my situation. As many of you know I went back to school and it has been paying off so far.
    This Fall I have 2 roads to choose from when I go back to school.
    The first is to finish my Medical Assistant degree.
    The second is to go for my Paramedic degree.

My heart is in the pre-hospital field ( Paramedic), but I have one more semester for the Medical Assistant.

I have been wanting to do the Paramedic program for a couple years, but things didn’t work out for me to actually do it. Now the school has changed the curriculum where it is feasible to do it now.
    I just do not see myself being happy in a typical clinic office setting that the MA degree would offer me.
    I currently already work for 1 ambulance service, and start the other one on the 29th of this month. I am thinking I can do the Paramedic course and still work for the 2 services. Sure, sleep would be limited, but I am willing to sacrifice to be a NREMT-Paramedic.

I really don’t know what I should do. Should I follow my heart or finish a degree I will not be happy with?
    (Beleive it or not, I do have a heart )

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Sounds like to me you would have a degree regardless, correct? I would follow your heart to do something just to do it, you will regret it in the long run. just my .02

big_g
    Isle, MN

From what I read, you know which way to go…. Go for it.

big G

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

My mother has worked as a medical assistant for 20-30 years. She has always regretted not getting the nursing degree and has really suffered in the pay department. She works the same job along with nurses and gets roughly 30% less pay.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Mike. It still amazes me how you went from cement worker to a health profession. To me that seems like a pretty large leap. Im sure you must of had this idea in the back of your head for a long time before you switched directions. Rite now any road out of the construction trades is a good one. I dont really have any advice on which way you should go this falls. Im sure with some time and thought the answer will come to you.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Will the NREMT-P classes be available immediately after completion of the Medical Assistant program? If so keep it going… take the last semester of of the Medical Assistant program and then jump directly into the NREMT-P program. It is always good to have a degree under your belt, regardless of what it is. It shows an employer initiative and that you can complete something you start. I understand about wanting to follow your heart (not a bad idea at all) but this economy sucks and making yourself as attractive as possible to an employer is a good idea IMO.

Just because you take a semester off – or even a year – doesn’t mean you can’t continue pursuing what you really want to do. You will still have something to fall back on if needed. Being that you are already on an ambulance crew I would think that they would see both areas as valuable and perhaps supplement/pay for you to get on the P registry.

Good luck in whatever your decision is

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Im pretty sure you answered your own question, if your not happy doing it for the rest of your life it is not worth dreading going into work.

Everyday I see so many ppl sitting in gridlock on the freeways (i wont sit in trafic, I will stop and have a beer or 2 ) And i can only wonder why they dont go to work sooner and get off early or go later and stay later. I have come to belive that most would rather sit in trafic than be at work an extra minute…

Do what you want to do the most, the rest will fall into place. It always does. Best luck, Mark

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

One semester away from having a degree you can always fall back on if something would stop your dream job seems like small potatoes. I would get the degree, and then evaluate if you want to start paramedic school right away, or wait for a couple years.

Your dream to be a certified paramedic will still be there at the end of the semester. You choose this path based on the paramedic classes not working with you, but it obviously holds some draw for you. You will never regret having the degree.

And I also have to say Great Job on getting to the end of a hard road.

mikkar
    South Saint Paul, MN

To me sounds like you know exactly where you want to go. Do what you want to do not what you have to do if you have that option take it and run with it…..

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Mike,

options are good! I know that you saw my wife’s graduation speech and here is one quote from it. “Find job that you love, and you will never work a day in your life”. Maybe that is too idealistic for today’s economic and job climate, but we can only live life once.

Good luck, and I think that you know what road you should take.

On a different note. Do you work Thursday morning? Thinking of hitting the river very early to about 10:00. Let me know if you want in.

FDR

abster71
    crawford county WI

My wife went for MA and is having a really hard time finding a job and the pay is crap RN is what she should have went for. MY 2 cents

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Mike:

No question about it, go after that which will make you happy. But I agree with others, don’t throw the MA degree away. Get that but promise yourself it is just a stepping stone to your ultimate paramedic degree!!!

Good luck!

Eric

timmy

Just a thought from outside the box………..

Get the first degree since it is only another semester ….and THEN pursue the paramedic degree…. Relatively small investment to get an extra degree that could possibly be valuable in the future. Of course, finaces may dictate this to be a poor option, but it IS an option……

T

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

No doubt. Get your Medical Assistant degree. I would think that would be a feather in your cap for any paramedic positions you apply for. Once you have that degree, then work towards your paramedics degree.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya Mike get your MA degree then go for the paramedic position. I do know that people who are multi skilled have a better egde on the economy. Once all is said and done you’ll be glad you did.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.