sunscreen for fisherman

• jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    Participant
    SW Michigan

Hi,

This has probably been discussed before but I couldn’t find anything using search. What is a good sunscreen for fisherman?

Jeff

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

any sunscreen is good sunscreen…

I use a waterproof sunscreen…

40 or above !!

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

I use coppertone Sport SPF 50. Last a long time and is waterproof. I put it on before I leave home. If I wait til I get to the lake I always forget and get burned. I also always try to drink as much water as possible on my way to the lake. Thats another thing I always forget when on the water. I never drink enough water. I don’t know which is worse – Sunburn or heat dehydration

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Personally, I just don’t think it gets any better than the NO-AD stuff. I think mine is around 35, and I burn very easily. When I use that stuff, I look like Billie Dee Williams by the end of summer. It’s good stuff, and you’ll never burn with it.

walleyehunter83
    Participant

I always carry 30 and 50 spf spray bottles. The lotion probably works better, but when you fishing solo, it’s easy to get my entire back with the spray.

dave53
    Participant
    Altoona, WI

After multiple surgeries to remove skin cancer on my face and head, my dermatologist recommended Nuetrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock. This was after some discussion and grumbling on my part about the greasiness of much of the stuff out there. This stuff goes on fairly clean, not greasy. I used it last summer during seven FLW league events with no burning. I have it in 55 and 70 SPF and usually put it on before I leave in the morning and it seems to last all day. I don’t recall the price, but don’t think it was much more than some of the more commercial products, but in my case probably would pay a bit more for the extra protection.

Dave

carroll58
    Participant
    Twin Cities, USA

A couple of my Sunscreen Pointers:

1) I Burn easily and always use a SPF30 or higher

2) Use Latex gloves for application as the Chemical makeup will cutdown on your catche especially if using plastics or hard baits. I don’t have the link now, but a friend told about this a few years ago. Even after washing your hands thoroughly in warm soapy water, you don’t get all the chemical out of your hands and the fish can smell it. They had a video of the testing and the fish reaction when bait that had been touched by hands having applied sunscreen earlier. Don’t know how it affected live bait, but something to think about. In my own tests, yes, I have caught more fish since I have used latex gloves to apply sunscreen and keep my hands clean/fish scented.

3) Different brands use different chemical makeups. A few years ago I had used a Banana Boat product and after a few weeks the coating on my both pair of my sunglasses began deteriorating. I have not had that problem with any other sunglasses with other sunscreen brands.

4) I too love the spray idea, easy to apply a 2nd coat when you are out in a tournament for 8-hours sweating and working hard.

tomr
    Participant
    cottage grove, mn

top of my hands get burned it seems no matter what I do so I have started wearing sun gloves. There are thin and fingerless, my hands are great after a day or days of fishing in the sun.

walleyebuster5
    Participant
    Central MN

I use anything that I can put on with latex gloves!

bret_clark
    Participant
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

I use anything that I can put on with latex gloves!

For some reason that just sounds kinky

DougSportsman
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

This is a terrific post. Thank you.
    I don’t pay nearly enough attention to getting cooked in the sun. I especially like hearing the comments about putting it on before you leave home. Because I always seem to forget too.

a1a
    Participant

Catfish slime! Seriously, when is the last time you saw a catfish with sunburn? Try it, works great!

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

I prefer the spray bottles. It is a lot less messy and easier to apply without over doing it.

Mudshark
    Participant
    LaCrosse WI

Another option is just fish at night

Ya I know……I’m smartbutt…

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’m on heart meds that make the hide sensitive to the sun so I use BullFrog spray. Shower up in the morning, towel off and spray it on. Let dry a sec and you’re good for all day.

red89
    Participant
    Hudson

The neutrogena ultra sheer stuff is really good, comes in high spf ratings. but you get a small tube of it and its more expensive than a big bottle of cheaper stuff if i remember right. I think no-ad and stuff like that works fine too. But the neutrogena is definitely less greasy. I was wondering about the scent of it getting on baits, thats one reason i hate putting the stuff on. Guess i better buy some latex gloves.
    Two years ago on mille lacs i started getting a rash on my hands and arms from the sun, and now i get it everytime. So its no joke. I saw shaw grigsby wearing some gloves called, dr.shades on his show. Might be something to check out.

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    Participant
    SW Michigan

Thanks for the help and info everyone. Was out fishing yesterday and found I had no sunblock in the boat. Got quite a lot of sun.

jeff korsmo
    Participant
    Cresco, Ia

3) Different brands use different chemical makeups. A few years ago I had used a Banana Boat product and after a few weeks the coating on my both pair of my sunglasses began deteriorating. I have not had that problem with any other sunglasses with other sunscreen brands

Makes you wonder what that stuff is really doing to our skin dosen’t it? I know as fisherman we need to use the stuff but its crazy to think of the chemicals we put into our systems without even knowing it.

fireline
    Participant
    Rochester

Post deleted by fireline

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Can’t help you on the life of sunscreen (whatever that is)…

but Bret/Mike I’m looking for a good, grease-less Moon Block.

Any recommendations?

fireline
    Participant
    Rochester

Better put,does sunscreen have an expiration date ?

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    Participant
    SW Michigan

The sunblock that we have for the grandkids does have an expiration date.

sliderfishn
    Participant
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Bullfrog.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.