Trailer axle alignment

• fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

I have a 2005 Rolco custom trailer under my Alumacraft 1750 Navigator. It is a single axle trailer and one tire is wearing just on the outside edge. The trailer trails great…no doglegging or pulling to the side, the boat is centered and not loaded heavy to either side with gear, should be balanced. The other tire looks like new, how can one tire wear on a straight axle, don’t ever recall hitting anything that would have sprung or bent the spindle. Anyone know of anywhere in very east central Iowa a guy can get a trailer aligned ?

rofole
    River Falls, WI

not going to be able to get an alignment on your boat trailor because there is nothing to ajust on trailer axles to give them a true alignment there is a good chance that the bearing is going out. they normaly last about half as long as regular trailers because of consantly going in and out of water

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

not going to be able to get an alignment on your boat trailor because there is nothing to ajust on trailer axles to give them a true alignment

I do think I’ll have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. I’ve had to have two trailers aligned, and it made all the difference. One hit a deer, another was in an accident, and they both need realigned. The tires were doing exactly what you describe.

They can do things like bend the axle, move it on the frame, and other things I know nothing about.

Take it to a good frame shop and they’ll set you up. We’ve got a good one here in our town of 28000, so I’m sure you’ll be able to find one out there somewhere. Good luck.

inge66

I to had this issue and after having a axel guy look at it all it took was to move the mounts on the frame a little and then it was good to go. So they can be adjusted.

Dobber
    S.W. WI

on a single axle trailer, moving the axle forward or backward will do nothing for tire wear, it will just change how it tracks. when 1 tire is wearing it is a bent axle or possibly a very out of adjustment bearing.I would bet on a bent axle. some places will bend the axle back but that usually doesnt last very long. axle is overloaded or you hit something in my opinion.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

on a single axle trailer, moving the axle forward or backward will do nothing for tire wear, it will just change how it tracks.

Yes, but it also changes your tongue weight, which is something that is very important when it comes to towing.
    As for changing how it tracks, it sure does change that too. It’s also a lot easier to back a longer trailer down a ramp than a shorter one. Try backing a jetski sometime….better be on your toes.

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

You can have your axle aligned, they align it off of the hitch or ball. I work for a trailer parts company here in Iowa. I know couple places for you to call. Anchor Frame in Marion and Midwest frame and axle in Iowa City. There is also a frame shop I think in Dysersville?

Dobber
    S.W. WI

yes you can align off the trailer ball,but that will do nothing for tire wear, and that is his problem. like I said before you more than likely have a bent slightly bent axle.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Might sound dumb (I have been accused of worse) but make sure the air pressure is correct in that wheel…. If air pressure is good, it is more than likely a worn bearing or bent axle. While a single axle trailer can be aligned, typically you will have both tires wearing, with an alignment issue…. that is why I lean towards a bent axle. Good luck

big G

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

make sure the air pressure is correct in that wheel….

Nope, not stupid at all. A good point I completely forgot about. It would be nice if it were that simple, too.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Merrill Axle and Wheel Serv Inc. 515-288-2131 in Des Moines is the best place to go! Had then do mine when it was new and once since then 11 years later. It realy tracks dead on behing the truck.They did my old trailer as well. Family owned, good people!

GrouseHead

Is the wearing on the outside edge irregular around the tire? I had a similiar issue. The aligment was check and spot on. When I has the tire replaced, I was told it was just a bad tire. Had it replaced with the same brand and have not had the issue reoccur.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.