said goodbye to my best friend today

• jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    Participant
    SW Michigan

Said goodbye to my best friend of 15 years today. My female black lab Shelby. She was my constant companion and also waterfowl hunted with me. She was one heck of a duck dog. Saying goodbye was the hardest thing I have ever done but it was time. I’m having a rough time right now. If someone could post the prayer for dogs or pets not sure which it is, I would sure appreciate it. R.I.P. pup.

Jeff

farmboy1
    Participant
    Mantorville, MN

Sorry, I don’t know the prayer, but from someone who did the same thing a couple months ago, I know what you are going through. Sorry for your loss.

chris dymale
    Participant
    west bend, wi

Jeff, sorry to hear that. I had to do the same thing last fall to my best buddy Cody too.
    It may sound strange, but it’s harder to say goodbye to your animal than it is to some humans. Just know that he is chasing birds up in that big pond in the sky and he is now smiling down on you.
    Sorry for your loss.

baldwin4
    Participant
    NE IA

I feel for you I have lost one lab and now have a yellow lab named Shelby

tom_gursky
    Participant
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Heres one son…sorry for your loss..I’m sure Shelby loved you til the end…

A Dog’s Prayer
    Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside… for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements… and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth… though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land… for you are my god… and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest…and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

–Beth Norman Harris

KirtH
    Participant
    Lakeville

I feel for yah, we said goodbye 3 yrs ago

KirtH
    Participant
    Lakeville

A Dog’s Purpose? (From a 6-year-old).

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog’s owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn’t do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker’s family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker’s transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker’s Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ”I know why.”

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I’d never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live.

He said, ”People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life — like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?” The Six-year-old continued, ”Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.”

Ø Live simply.

Ø Love generously.

Ø Care deeply.

Ø Speak kindly.

Ø Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

1. When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

2. Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

3. Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.

4. Take naps.

5. Stretch before rising.

6. Run, romp, and play daily.

7. Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

8. Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

9. On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

10. On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

11. When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

12. Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

13. Be loyal.

14. Never pretend to be something you’re not.

15. If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

16. When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY!
    When you are grateful — when you can see what you have — you unlock

huntfishhastings
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

Thinking of you here too. Gave my yellow a extra hug today. I agree with the letting a special companion go is one of the hardest things in life to deal with. Some one who always wants to go no matter how bad the weather or luck, never backs out last second. What always keeps me feeling a little better is if hunting and fishing is this much fun down here think about how great it must be up there! You know their having a blast.

Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Been there. Done that & it sucks!
    My condolences.

Rainbow Bridge
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together….

Author unknown…

robstenger
    Participant
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Sorry to hear it and I will give mine and extra pat today in memory of Shelby.

A day that I fear will come all too soon.

gusschoenfeld
    Participant
    Winsted, MN

Im sorry for your loss. I too will give mine a little extra love tonight and say a prayer for you.

chomps
    Participant
    Sioux City IA

as is always said, you never forget this day. I re-live that day everytime I drive by the vet clinic. I keep pictures on my desk for some of the good memories, many more good memories than I can count. Prayers on the way.

jon_jordan
    Participant
    St. Paul, Mn

Fifteen years is a darn good run. You must have been a great dog owner and friend!

Rest in Peace Shelby!

-J.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I know how ya feel. My pet was diagnosed with diabetes. My life revolved around that animal for six months while I tried to control the blood sugar with insulin injections. One night after work he was laying on his bed and I just new something was not right. I tried to get him up but he could not move his legs. He eventually went into a diabetic coma so I had no choice but to put him down. He is now in the ground out to my grandparents farm with a statue of Saint Francis above him. I’ve lost a few people in my life but I just cannot explain why losing a pet seems so much harder. The sun will come out, maybe not tomorrow but it will come out.

wkw
    Participant

Well said, boys! RIP Shelby.
    WKW

rochelle_peterson
    Participant
    Minnesota

It was almost 4 years ago that my husband and I said goodbye to our 10 year old black lab, “Tigger”… and it was not easy. There is hardly a day that goes by when I don’t think about her. It really sucks when that time comes-please know that you are in our thoughts.

DrewH
    Participant
    s/w WI.

If you allow yourself to grieve, the hurt will pass sooner. I have already spoiled my sh Tinker because of the loss I felt when her mother Bridgette pass l 1/2 years ago. Have faith my man. Drew

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    Participant
    SW Michigan

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers and for posting the special dog prayers. She was something special and I was blessed to have her in my life for 15 years. We had her cremated and I told the wife when my time comes I want her to be buried with me.

Jeff

huntfishhastings
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

I always thought it would be a cool idea to get mine cremated and load some shot gun shells with some of the ashes in each of them and hunt memorable places with them and let the ducks have it.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Jeff,
    I understand what your going through. Talk about unconditional friendship!

Best wishes

Randy

smithkeith
    Participant
    Waterloo, Iowa

Sorry to hear of your loss. All dogs go to heaven.

fireman731
    Participant
    Miles, Iowa

I went thru this 5 years ago on Good Friday with my Lab/springer mix “Jessie”. He was 14,and failing in health, best friend in the world ! Funny thing…on some nights, I can still hear the floor creak in the house, the same path he always took thru the house and over to my chair…guess he is still with me !

Ron Johnsen
    Participant
    Platteville wi

sorry for your loss

AllenW
    Participant
    Mpls, MN

One more for ya, hard to read all these at work now, must be dusty here..

Been though it 4 times now, doesn’t get any easier that’s for sure.

Al..may I be half the man my dog thinks I am.

You will know when the time is right, but when it is you must let go.

If It Should be..

If it should be I grow frail and weak

And pain prevents my peaceful sleep

Then you must do what must be done

When this last battle can’t be won.

You will be sad, I understand Selfishness might stay your hand

But on this day, more than the rest, Your love and friendship take the test.

We’ve had so many happy years

That what’s to come can hold no fears

You’d not want me to suffer So,

When the time comes please let me go.

Take me where my needs they’ll tend. Only stay with me until the end.

Hold me firm and speak to me. Until my eyes no longer see.

I know, in time, you, too, will see its a kindness you do for me

Although my tail it’s last has waved

From pain and suffering I’ve been saved

Do not grieve it should be you who must decide this thing to do

We’ve been so close, we two, these years……. Don’t let your heart hold any tears

Author unknown

sandbar
    Participant
    Woodbury, MN

Thoughts are with you. Had to do the same thing last Thursday. Makes me want to cry thinking about it.

Czech
    Participant
    Cottage Grove, MN

Took me close to 5 years to be able to say yes again to getting a pup, did so just last week. It hurts, thoughts are with you buddy.

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    Participant
    SW Michigan

Thanks again all for posting. Reading all of your post’s have helped. I had my wife and daughter read them today and they want to say thank you also.

Jeff

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.