boat plugs

• OohMiracle
    Participant
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Ok, I just got a boat after 16 years with out one, Lucky for me I have buddys with boats. Well the boat I bought is a 1992 Smoker Craft, Fazer. They had the boat plug installed on the outside? Is this how most boats install them?
    It don’t look right to me. Something might hit it and knock it out. If I install on the inside it would be a pain having to unstrap and remove the battery’s every time I want to go out.

jon_jordan
    Participant
    St. Paul, Mn

Outside is fine.

-J.

baldwin4
    Participant
    NE IA

I put mine on the outside and use the screw type, not the one you put in and flip it to one side.

walleyejoe
    Participant
    Litchfield, MN

Go with the screw type from the outside… I have been doing this for as long as I have had a boat and never had a problem… except when your brother is taking care of the straps and transom saver and forgets to put the dam thing in But like I always say “You can’t fix stupid”

shaley
    Participant
    Milford IA

I use the flip ones and in 20+ years never had one come out.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve seen ’em both ways. I prefer mine on the outside–like you said, they are a pain to get to from the inside.

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Outside is fine. Never had a problem with mine. There is a spare in the boat if ever needed.

tstatz
    Participant
    wis

There is one rule to remember..always have a spare!A lesson learned the hard way Have a good time w your new boat.

walleye_wisdom
    Participant
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

So how long until you get some satellite TV and a heater in that boat!?

You are lucky to have such a world renown Carp angler in Doug so close to you!

Glad to see you got a boat finally! Now, how about some pics!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Not to sound like a broken record, but we “rescued” a fella two years ago that had the flip style plug on the outside.

He found himself hung up on some wood and popped the plug out. That’s when he found out his bilge pump wasn’t working. He called the resort and we ran a new plug to him.

Screw in type and an extra…both great ideas!

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Flip type on the outside, flip it straight up, not left or right and definitely not down… been doing it 30+ years, never a problem… then again, I don’t fish in the woods … Congrats on the new ride

big G

huntfishhastings
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

I seem to forget to put my plug in about every 10th time out. For a split second I always find myself thinking….Why in the hell is the carpet wet? I run the screw in type and always put it in one of the splashwell holes when its not in the boat. Easy to find when your already on the water! Congrats on the new boat!!!

fireman731
    Participant
    Miles, Iowa

I always carry a spare…one day it came in handy…just had the big motor serviced and after 18 miles up river got a low oil pressure alarm,and motor went to idle, took the motor cover off and plunk…the filler cap had came off and fell in the river. I carry extra oil, so I filled her back up and believe it or not…a drain plug with a rag draped over it is a perfect fit for a 90hp Mercury 4 stroke oil filler cap ! Made it the rest of the day no problems, dealer gave me a new oil cap.

85lund
    Participant
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

I put mine on the outside and use the screw type, not the one you put in and flip it to one side.

X2

Mine has an inside set up but the guy I bought it from had it set up for with the outside screw in plug. I haven’t had a bit of trouble.

OohMiracle
    Participant
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Thanks for the reply’s. Outside it is!
    It did have the screw type with it. but i will pick up spare.

Plan on hitting the Old Miss Thursday. I was thinking Guttenberg, but Wheres Waldo mention Red Wing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.