Question on bringing gas into Canada

• rljohnson020

I’m wondering if anyone can tell me how much extra gas I can bring into Canada from the states…. Ive been looking online and have had no luck. Thanks in advance!

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Any gasoline or oil imported, beyond the normal capacity of your vehicle, is subject to duty

mskyfshntchr
    Dodge Center, MN

We were told at the border as long as it was gas that looked to be what would be normal use for your trip- you were ok.
    We take around 40-50 gallons either in a big barrel or in cans when we go up in the summer and have never had to pay duty.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

Quote:

Any gasoline or oil imported, beyond the normal capacity of your vehicle, is subject to duty

That is the way it was in 2003,when we went.Had to pay duty on every gallon in portable containers or barrels!

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

We used to bring 3-4 gas cans until one of the plastic containers developed a leaked and dumped 6 gallons of gas into the boat, now I just top off the tank on the truck and boat before going into Canada and maybe carry a 2.5 gallon one for the generator we bring.

Al

dgilgen
    Eau Claire Wisconsin

The past 4 years I’ve always brought 3 – 10 gallon containers of fuel and have never been subject to pay duty. We were pulled aside and inspected going through the border twice and were never questioned about it… I guess my advice is to either say nothing or declare the amount of fuel you may have at the border and go from there…

timmy

I have crossed with extra fuel dozens upon dozens of times. A couple of times, I was asked specific Q’s as to how much fuel I had and ended up paying duty. It was not a big deal – what is another 20 bucks on top of a big trip with a couple guys…….

My advice would be to answer any q’s truthfully and be prepared to pay IF they decide to charge you. Almost all of the times I have crossed, fuel was never questioned…..

Tim

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

Quote:

My advice would be to answer any q’s truthfully and be prepared to pay IF they decide to charge you. …..

Tim

The last place I would want to get caught in a lie,is crossing the border to another country!

Outfitter17
    Lower Manitou Lake, Ont.

As mskyfshntchr mentioned you should be able to take as much gas as you need for your trip, weather it be an extra 30-50 gals. If the office thinks that you are bringing in more than you can use, you may have to pay duty on what they deem as extra gas.
    I have had guests bring in 8-12 5gal cans full and have never had to pay duty, but they were all runing bigger boats with 200-225hp, so I guess the officer must have deem it a reasonable amount of gass for their stay.

buck-slayer

you can also fill a new 2 gal. can with booze and take it across. Not that I’ve done this,just heard about it.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

The last place I would want to get caught in a lie,is crossing the border to another country!

Some of the best advice right there in that quote! I’ve been out and back into this great country numbers of times, and honesty is always the #1 way to go. Like mentioned earlier, what’s another 20$ duty to go have a great time with family and or friends!

rljohnson020

Is there an actual written rule or law though? I haven’t been able to find anything on it

basser
    White Bear Lake,mn.

We usually bring 25-40 gallons per boat in and haven’t had to pay duty as of the last 5 yrs.(Int. Falls crossing)Did have to pay 10 yrs. ago at Grand Marais crossing thou.

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

We,ve never had a problem either bringing 6-8 5 gal. gas cans in at Inl. falls.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.