Vinyl Boat Flooring

• illiniwalli
    Participant
    WC Illinois

one of the options i am considering while boat shopping is vinyl flooring instead of carpet.

i think vinyl would be more durable and easy to clean but am concerned about it being too slick.

anybody have it in your boat? love it or hate it?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I don’t have it but have checked into it for my next boat.

I’ve heard that fishing in the winter any water will freeze on the floor. Summer time fishing you’re good.

MuskyTrap
    Participant

I am currently re-doing the inside of a crestliner boat and have chosen to go the vinyl route. While not having my material in hand yet, I have had a chance to see the material. I thought it seemed to well surpass the “tough enough” test. I tried to rip or tear the material and found it almost impossible.

I too would be interested to see what anyone has to say about how slippery it is when its wet.

MIKGILLIE
    Participant
    Owatonna,MN.

I have a boat with vinyl and snap out carpet ,have never had carpet in it,I would take vinyl anyday over carpet,cleanup is easy and never had problem being slippery,i dont do alot of below freezing fishing but some.

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I have a boat with vinyl and snap out carpet ,have never had carpet in it,I would take vinyl anyday over carpet,cleanup is easy and never had problem being slippery,i dont do alot of below freezing fishing but some.

I have heard this statement from other fisherman as well.

My new boat has vinyl flooring with the wash down kit in it. I haven’t tried it yet, however I can say. The wash down kit and vinyl flooring was A MUST when I was boat shopping. I hate carpet and never understood why it was in a fishing boat (blood, worm dirt, ect.).

mark-bruzek
    Participant
    Two Harbors, MN

If you find you would like carpet you can always add a snap in kit. pretty easy to do yourself with some searching for materials and having a person to sew a ribbin to the edges. then just install some screw in buttons to the floor and then snap caps where you need them.
    -Mark

illiniwalli
    Participant
    WC Illinois

Quote:

I’ve heard that fishing in the winter any water will freeze on the floor.

thats what i am afraid of. AARP-eligible wallyguys wearing rubber-soled boots on a vinyl floor in subfreezing temps sounds like a recipe for disaster.

am getting a look at it this weekend. hope its textured to some degree. a more rubberized than plastic material would be nice.
    so far, looks like love it or leave it is about 50/50

Quote:

Summer time fishing you’re good.

thanks, brian, i tell people that all the time but nobody believes me.

super_do
    Participant
    St Michael, MN

Just a thought….Anybody ever check into or try the roll on truck bedliner material on the floor of a boat? Not slippery and very durable. I know they have a few colors to choose from. Could spray off with a hose.

northstar42
    Participant
    west central Minnesotsa

I think lots of folks are becoming interested in the bed liner material. I know I am. You apparently can but the stuff and roll it on yourself. I am currently redoing my deck and giving it a lot of consideration. I do have to admit I like carpet.

birddog
    Participant
    Mn.

Quote:

Just a thought….Anybody ever check into or try the roll on truck bedliner material on the floor of a boat? Not slippery and very durable. I know they have a few colors to choose from. Could spray off with a hose.

My bud redid his 17′ boat in rhino liner, grey color. Looks great. He chose rhino over linex and other roll on brands…the rhino is softer. Cost was cheaper than I thought it would be…He did all the prep work, I think t was $400+ to have it sprayed. It’s sharp looking and functional.

BIRDDOG

Tillerman1
    Participant
    minnesota

I have a 2004 2025 Lund Pro V and guide on Rainy Lake. I currently have 1200 hours on my 250 Suzuki. I would not be caught dead without vinyl flooring. I still have the original vinyl. It is easy to clean and keep clean. Use to deal with flies in the carpeted models hardly at all with vinyl. I fish late at least until November 1. I found the freezing water to be much worse on carpet.

I do have a snap in carpet but have never had it in the boat once. The floors underneath seem to last much longer than a carpeted boat (with 1200 hours of run time the boat gets a good dose of all weather conditions).

Billy Dougherty
    Rainy Lake Houseboats
    http://www.rainylakehouseboats
    [email protected]

jerrj01
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

I have a Lund with vinyl flooring with the snap in/out carpeting. I have yet to put the carpeting in. I love the vinyl especially since I use live bait including crawlers. Even if the whole container hits the floor I just smile, grab a pail of water, wash it down, and bilge it out. Also when it is raining your feet stay drier than if there was carpeting in the boat. Winter I assume it would get slick, but put in an area rug and you should be good.

marbleyes
    Participant
    Holmen, WI

I have vinyl flooring in mine and wouldn’t go back to carpet. It cleans up really nice and I think there is more grip when it is wet verses dry. Have not tried it out in below freezing temps yet, but wouldn’t think you would have a problem unless you plan on turning your floor into a skating rink.

impalapower
    Participant
    Madison, WI

Had an ’04 Lund with the vinyl flooring and it worked for me. Easy to wash, dries fast, wasn’t slippery even in freezing temps (maybe I had the right shoes). In my next boat I’d like to have it again.

northstar42
    Participant
    west central Minnesotsa

Quote:

Here is what I used in my boat, very durable and not slippery at all in the winter.

Steve, that looks like great stuff. I may not get my boat done this year if you guys keep coming up with such good ideas.

illiniwalli
    Participant
    WC Illinois

hmmmm… based on the latter replies, sounds like lund has a good, nonslip vinyl floor.

but i think i am leaning toward an alumacraft

i like the looks of the cabelas flooring. i could see that, or roll-on bedliner, over the ac floor if i think it is too slick.

thanks for the replies

Dave Karp
    Participant

My only concern is, does vinyl get hot under the sun all day?
    I don’t see anyone mention it, so maybe it doesn’t.
    Bare feet fishing!

Craig Sery
    Participant
    Bloomington, MN

I bought a new boat last fall and went vinyl in cockpit and carpet the rest( gunwales, deck) my understanding from dealer was vinyl gets too hot in summer, and slippery when it’s cold. It’s true, but nice to have where fish are landed

Grizper
    Participant

I have a g3 that came with vinyl flooring and absolutely love it. I fish the river in February and have never had any issue with slippage. Would never go back to carpet. The ability to power wash out any blood or fish poop in under 5 minutes makes it worth everything. Being a catfisherman, I end up with a lot of slime in the bottom of the boat and I never have to give it a second thought. My next bill will have vinyl as well.

mnfishhunt
    Participant
    Brooklyn Park, MN

8 year old post whats new now??????

slipbob_nick
    Participant
    Princeton, MN

Have a 2016 lund with vinyl cockpit not slippery we waterski with it too and not slippery. I don’t use the boat in the winter

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

Bare feet fishing!

IMHO vinyl get way too hot for bare feet. My first boat had vinyl. On realy hot sunny days, we had to splash water on the floor to keep the kids from burning their feet.
    I prefer carpet and adjust my fishing to keep the mess either over the side of the boat or into the live well. Fish get unhooked while still in the net, in the water. Then released or put into the live well.

Ivan Knapp
    Participant

I had 2 with vinyl floors and never again . It was hot in the summer and you could not go barefoot. For fishing it was great but I think it made the boat hotter in the sun while trolling. It never got slippery. I think the ideal thing would be is carpet with a snap in vinyl floor

tim hurley
    Participant

I will have vinyl in my new G3-supposed to seal out water to prevent rot-looks good.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Keep that boat dry Tim. Whatever water gets underneath the floor will rot it from inside out. I highly doubt they vinyled or glassed the wood underneath.

If it’s an aluminum floor, disregard all statements.

slipbob_nick
    Participant
    Princeton, MN

Haven’t had the floor get hot. One thing is I had wanted a whole vinyl floor and was talked into doing just the cockpit area. If the storage compartments are vinyl they don’t seal as well as carpet for keeping water out. Lund seems to have the vinyl floor figured out.

tim hurley
    Participant

Bare foot fishing?! My foot would sunburn, i would step on a hook and flies and skeeters would bite them-I very seldom fish w/o socks.

Rivergills
    Participant
    Wisconsin

How about all composite flooring? I thought I heard or read somewhere that lund offers all composite flooring and transom.

rschmidty
    Participant

Bare feet fishing!

The floor will get hotter than carpet but I’ve had no issues with slippage. I fish into late November and early April up on the Rainy River and it can get pretty cold.

Way easier to clean. If you are fishing the river for cats and sturgeon where you are using a lot of live bait or cutbait and putting the fish on the floor has to happen, vinyl is a must.

If you are only fishing lakes for bass, panfish, walleyes, etc…it’s not as big of need.

I do wish I had snap in carpet flooring for the summer with the kids.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.