Trailer Light Problem F150

• TazTyke
    Participant
    Central Minnesota

Is there some sort of fuse that controls the trailer light plug on the F150? I have blinkers on the truck. I have right turn on the trailer and no left turn or brake. I went back as far as I could follow it with the light tester and no power anywhere,

Please help if you have had this expirience. I am tired of banging my head against the wall.

Thanks

lure_rat
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN

Yes, depending on the year of the F150, they have fuses for the trailer harness. Brakes and left and right turn signals are all fused. I’ve diagnosed this problem twice on a friends 150 and it’s always been a fuse in the right, (passengers side,) kick panel. Check the owners manual, you’ll find it.

Note, something is causing this fuse to blow. If it’s consistently on the one side of the trailer, you probably have a short in the wire that makes contact with the trailer frame, (common ground,) when you hit bumps or have moisture in/on the frame. If it happens again after replacing the fuse pull the wire(s) and inspect. There is a good chance you’ll find a small area of exposed wire. Just make sure when/if you pull the wire, if in the frame, you carry a return line.

Good luck.

Dobber
    Participant
    S.W. WI

The trailer fuses are under the hood on most year fords. Look under the lid or in the owners manuel for I.D. so you find the correct one.

TazTyke
    Participant
    Central Minnesota

It is a 2005 F150. I looked in the fuse panel and I didn’t find it. Anything that talked about trailers or lights I checked.

It was blown because the plug in on the trailer had many loose conections and it must have arched. I will check under the hood as well.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

there are fuses under the hood. I just got done dealing with a problem where my running lights would blow the fuse under the hood because one of the lights had water in it causing a short. On my F-150, the fuse box is under the hood on the drivers side. Mine has two boxes. Big black ones.

francisco4
    Participant
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

there are fuses under the hood. On my F-150, the fuse box is under the hood on the drivers side. Mine has two boxes. Big black ones.

This is the ticket!

Good Luck,

FDR

TazTyke
    Participant
    Central Minnesota

I found the fuse. It was in the drivers compartment. The pages stuck together the first time I looked in the manual. Fuse #42, That makes me happy. Thanks for all your help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.