Quick Draw Rod Holders?

• philput
    Participant
    Knoxville, IL.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!! I’m thinking about ordering Cabela’s Quick Draw rod holders just wondered what you guys thought or if you all prefered another brand/style.
    I appreciate your help.
    Thanks, Phil

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Depending on your needs/wants. Folbe makes a very cool product you should consider. I just got to use them for the first time recently and I thought they were great! Otherwise, I’m a Scotty/Cableas fan also.

Richard V.
    Participant
    Somewhere over the rainbow

The quick draw holders are great for spinning rod and reels. The HT 360 is more accomidating for a bait casting rod and reel. Both items are made by Scotty for Cabelas.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve had them since 98. Still like new. Most are quickdraw but have at least two of the version with lock ring on front. Those come in handy sometimes for rods pointed back and/or low.

philput
    Participant
    Knoxville, IL.

Thanks for the info so far I should of added, that i will be mainly trolling cranks, live bait rigs, and drifting, catfishing some as well. I think your right on the money with the lock ring as i like my rods low to the water.
    thanks, Phil

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My third year now. They were designed for White Sturgeon and Salmon. It’s hard to get excited over a rod holder, but these work pretty darn good.

No…they aren’t a sponsor.

trumar
    Participant
    Rochester, Mn

I have to agree with the Folbe Rod holders simply great holders

311hemi
    Participant
    Dayton, MN

The boat I bought this spring came with 4 Scotty quick draw. They did not work for me as I really only use them to pull cranks, and want my rod parallel or angled down to the water.

I picked up a couple of the Ram holders to replace the Scotty quickdraw and they worked well, but were a bit cumbersome pulling the rod up and then out of the holder with a fish on. They were a pretty decent rod holder though.

After reading so much about the Folbes I had to try them to see what the hype is about. I am sold. They are a great rod holder and allow for a very quick, strait pull up out of the holder. They are spendy….but worth it IMO.

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

A comment about the 360 HT. I like mine alot, however when there is a 15# Steelhead pulling on the other end, it’s kind of hard to get the rod out of the holder.

john-tucker
    Participant
    Northwest Illinois

Phil, I have a couple of the quick draw’s from Cabelas. They work o.k for trolling with rods horizontal, but not real confident with the rods tipped down or angled back.
    My main problem with them is that they are not big enough in diameter to hold several of my trolling rods.
    I’ve had good luck with the Scotty’s with the lock ring, but if I where buying new I think I’d go with the Folbe Advantage.

philput
    Participant
    Knoxville, IL.

Thanx men for all your help. This my prob. with the rod holders!!! i fish out of a 18ft. lowe roughneck so i don’t have alot of free board on the sides of my boat. i have casting decks front & rear or the gunwhales port & starboard to attach the rod holders. Guess it’s never easy?just try’n to keep it organized and fishable. Hope that all makes sense.
    Thanx, Phil

311hemi
    Participant
    Dayton, MN

Just use a surface mount on the casting decks with an extension for the holder, or purchase the side mounts and rig something up to mount them on the inside edge of the gunwale.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.