Man caves

• Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Let’s see pictures of your fishing and hunting theme man caves. I’m remodeling my entire basement and it’s mine for design. I’m putting in a home office with close to 30 feet of desk/work area. This will include an area where I can lay out fishing rods for cleaning and maintence. I’m hoping to install a line spooling station and have ample storage for all of my tackle in the off season. That way I can clean, organize, and restock items during the winter. At the desk area I’m thinking about installing pedistal seat mounts and putting in butt seats, just like seats in a boat. I’ve got a long ways to go at this point. I just finished wiring all the new can lights. Next thing is to get the speaker wires ran for the surround sound and all the cables installed for the HD projector for the TV. I also need to finish polishing the concrete floor and get it prepared for staining. I looked at some Camo furniture at Bass Pro last weekend and think it will look good. I sure can’t wait to get it done.

Let’s see your pics. I need more ideas and need to be able to show the wife some finished products so she will like it better. I liked the look of Bob Bowman’s garage on last weeks IDO TV episode. I don’t think a man cave can have enough big fish pictures.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I am working on one also the entire loft of my garage! I am starting with nothing and putting in insulation and all. SO from scratch I get to do it all! Good luck on yours.

aaron

prieser
    Byron, MN

I know theres not a lot of wildlife in these particular pictures but I’ve got two bucks, two ducks and one turkey on the walls and the fireplace now has a pheasant display on top of it. Reguardless…. you need a bar and a poker table for a man cave, I figured why not incorperate it all into one One of them bigger dorm fridges fits perfectly under the pocker table

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

When I finished out the basement a friend of mine just had a grove of walnuts logged. Swiped a few tops, pressure washed the bark off and put trees in my cave. Be surprised how much man crap you can hang from trees Wainscoated with logs but added a 4 in.shelf on top of the entire wainscoat. Be surprised how much stuff you can set on a four in. shelf. One suggestion Ben, when hanging the lights, if you think you have a bright enough work area, go brighter. You can always add dimmers but nothing is more frustrating than not having enough good light, especially in your field while tying up rigs with mono and flouros.
    Painted my finished concrete then applied a good polyurethane. Has held up very well.
    Good luck Ben

prieser
    Byron, MN

Sweet Jeff , what species of tree are the half logs you used for wainscoat?

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

No, mine would be a dungeon compared to yours Prieser. I want to go to there! That built in hold em table is da bomb!
    Used half sanded pine for the logs

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Muey bueno to all!!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Prieser- I love the knotty pine. I’m using a lot of knotty pine myself.

Jeff – I really like the trees.
    I wired in 17 new can lights with 5 of them directly over the desk/work area. With the all the basment lights on we were amazed at how bright it is now.

NickJohnson

wow prieser thats awesome and jeff your is pretty sweet also im pretty lucky with the mrs also being a hunter and loving the outdoors my whole house is a man cave heres a few of my favs thou

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

WOW great rooms. It would be sweet but I am lucky to have a heated garage. My FW dosen`t think much of hanging dead things on the walls.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

Quote:

I know theres not a lot of wildlife in these particular pictures but I’ve got two bucks, two ducks and one turkey on the walls and the fireplace now has a pheasant display on top of it. Reguardless…. you need a bar and a poker table for a man cave, I figured why not incorperate it all into one One of them bigger dorm fridges fits perfectly under the pocker table

so…when is the IDO get together?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Did this a few years back.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Looks great guys.

Chris- I’m putting up tounge and groove knotty pine like yours. Did you poly your boards?? and if so did you do it before or after you put them up?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

We chinked all the ends with a router for that rough cut look, and poly’d after with a clear poly to let the wood color show through.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Quote:

We chinked all the ends with a router for that rough cut look, and poly’d after with a clear poly to let the wood color show through.

That’s my plan too. Looks good Chris.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

if you want my opinion, I know that you are indoor but I would me personally would go with a poly product or even a marine grade poly like spar urethan. brush it out and put on 2 coats with a light sand inbetween coats and a thinned down 2nd coat. but that is just me.

shane

prieser
    Byron, MN

The IDO card tourney will have to wait until the lumber and housing market turns around Thanks all for the nice responses, I can build this for anyone, Time (very costly), Materials (about 1200.00 complete) and Busch Light (many, many cases) needed.

Gut-one how much does the 1/2 a Turkey mount on the wall cost??? Those are pretty sweet!!!

Tuck…Sweet look, love the lures and mounts!!!!

NickJohnson

Gut-one how much does the 1/2 a Turkey mount on the wall cost??? Those are pretty sweet!!!

350ish thunder valley taxidery west salem wis awesome turkey mounts should get my full strut merriam back soon will post pics

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

GutOne,
    That Hamm’s sign you have on your wall is the coup de grâce for a man cave. That exact sign ranks way up there on my wish list.

I’ve been working on my man land (or man cave) in the basement of our cabin for about the past 3 winters. I’ll take some pictures this weekend and post them when I get back. I’ve bought quite a bit of various pine boards from a small sawmill outside of Minong Wi that I’ve made various shelves, bar top, etc. Its incredibly inexpensive and kind of cool looking.

I very much enjoy looking at everyones pictures. You can get some great ideas.

Ben,
    I still need to make some bar stools and I like your idea on making them out of pedestal seats for a boat (very unique and comfortable to sit on).

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Those are all excellent man caves! Thanks for sharing, keep’em coming. Tuck’s and Prieser’s are just a little more my taste but they are all very nice. I agree that built in hold’em table is off the charts!

deertracker

Prieser, I have those exact same bars stools. Just not the sweet bar to go with them.
    DT

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Here are some pictures of my man cave at the cabin. Its been an ongoing project over the past 3 winters. We started putting the field stone fire place in first. My dad’s a masonary contractor so I got a pretty good deal on this.

As I said previously, I bought all my pine from a guy outside of Minong, Wi. He could pretty much make any board or log you need. I had him make the top of the bar. I think the cost was right around 50.00. I also bought several other boards with rough edges that I used for shelves, patio door threshholds, coffee table, end table, step treads, kitchen table, benches, etc. Most of these surfaces we finished with a two part finish called Enviro Tex. This stuff is incredible. You can get this at Menards and its about 60.00 per gallon. You can shake dice on it and it won’t ding it up.

I also put slate tile on the floor. I put electric infloor heat (Warm Tiles) under the tile. We keep our heat turned down to 50 during the week. The floor is cold. The bummer with the infloor heat when you just turn it on for the weekend, is it take along time to warm up and its expensive to run. The floor is awesome once it warms up though.

I ended up replacing a support post with a pine log. When I asked the lumber guy if he could hollow out a log to wrap it around the post, he suggested replacing it with a solid log. That worked out well.

We made the bar out of left over siding. I wish I would have plumbed the bar with running water, but I didn’t. The bathroom is pretty standard (toilet, shower, etc). This was my first experience plumbing anything. Its amazing at how many trades go into a bathroom (electrical, heating, plumbing, carpentry, etc.).

My remaining projects include building bar stools and some type of log table for in front of the fire place.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

You do great work Bzzsaw. I love the fireplace. I’ve got a wood burning stove that has a bunch of brick work around it and I would love to eventually cover it with large river rocks much like yours.

I better get to work on mine.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I wish I could take credit for all of it. I’m fortunate to have a father inlaw that is retired and loves to work on these types of projects. All I have to do is buy him Leinies Red and let him beat me in cribbage every once in a while.

buck-slayer

BZZSAW, I’m glad you didn’t take credit for the work. I would have turned you in.

ryno

Nice looking caves!!!…. Someday I will have one of my very own, actually I have one now but I don’t think the garage counts.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Nice looking caves!!!…. Someday I will have one of my very own, actually I have one now but I don’t think the garage counts.

Oh, it counts Ryno
    Many and I mean many worldly problems have been solved with some garage logic sessions.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Heres a shot of my little retreat in the basement.

big G

E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

Cool hangouts guys. I look forward to being able to do some “decorating” of my own. One question, how do you get her to okay the mounts? She is not a fan of the idea.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.