Help !!! – Rough / Hard Steering problem

• fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

All last season I fought with hard steering on my Triton Bass boat. The best that I can tell is that it is a duel cable no feedback rack and pion type of steering system. I was told by a repair shop that it appears that the cables are rusted and need to be replaced. Prior to replaceing them at a cost of over $600.00 I would like to know if there is anything else that can be done to resolve or at least help the issue. I would think that there would be a way to get some lube or other type on rust remover into the cable. In a Overtons boat catalog I saw a Kit called “Cable Buddy” that looks like it is a pump system that hooks up to the cables and pumps lube to them. Has anyone used this product? or know of anything else to try. I’m hoping with all the knowledge here that someone will have a solution for me. Thanks in advance for all of you input.

Bassn Dan
    Participant

What kind of motor is this?

On some motors the exposed portion of the steering arms get dry and need some lube. If it really is an issue with the cables, this can be a MAJOR safety issue and it would be best to replace them. Some people do lube them and there has been some discussion about this on the Bass Boat Central boards. http://www.bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeromain.

Good luck.

Dan

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

What kind of motor is this?

It is a 150 Johnson Faststrike. Thanks for the additional Info.

Dan

big_dog_ia
    Participant
    Omaha, Ne

buy the cables, grab a buddy and install yourself. they are not that hard and you would save $300 in labor. i did mine last fall, 175 Rude. i kicked myself for not doing it sooner and like previously mentioned, its not worth it to wait till its too late

Jason

nick
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

and if you end up replacing them, at very least look into hydraulic steering.

john-tucker
    Participant
    Northwest Illinois

All good suggestions! I went through the same thing last year and held off spending the money to replace the cables. I ended up trashing my rack and pinion as well, and one of the cables broke out on the water. 7 miles down river on a very busy pleasure boating day, it was NOT a treat getting back to the launch. I looked into hydraulic steering but decided on replacing the rack and pinion. I believe it cost me about $800 or so then!

Tom P.
    Participant
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

I looked into hydraulic steering but decided on replacing the rack and pinion. I believe it cost me about $800 or so then!

If you are going to replace the cables or change to hydraulic check E-bay. Cables cab be bought for $150 to $300. Hydraulic set ups can be purchased for $500 to $800.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.