Whoo hoo..passed my welding tests

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

At my new job (3 months) as a welder, I had to learn some different welding skills. Before coming here, I haven’t welded in 10 years. Anyway, in order to make a higher pay grade, I had to pass 4 tests.
    The first was the 3G (vertical up) with hardwire, second was the 3G flux core with 75/25 gas, third is a air arc gouging, and the final is a weld symbols test.
    I had never welded vertical up before and was a little intimidated at first. But, suprisingly I found it really easy once you find the right settings. For the test we had certain parameters as far as voltage and wire speed.
    I got the results back this morning that I had passed both the welding tests and I will be testing out on the air arc and weld symbols in the morning
    Also since I passed the flux core test, I am now certified to weld for the MN DOT projects we work on. They are very stringent with their standards and rightfully so since the parts are for bridge construction.

Once I get tomorrow’s tests done, I will get the $5/hour raise and will be making more per hour than any job I have previously had. The money will make working 3rd shift a little less painful

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

That’s RIGHT ON AM!!!

As a welding instructor, I still don’t know how to do a solid vertical weld….so congrats

big_g
    Isle, MN

Way to go Wats

big G

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Congrats Mike, great job in passing them all!!!!!

ED

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

I still don’t know how to do a solid vertical weld

I practiced for 1 hour each night for about 3 weeks. Once I got the technique down, then it was a matter of getting a nice tight,solid bead all the way up. The first few were horrendous
    I am glad I learned with the hardwire first since it has a tendency run more than the flux core. When it was time to practice the flux core, I did a total of 4 practice plates and then took the test. It seems a lot of it is in the technique, once I found the right speed it went very good.
    I was more excited for the challenge than I was for the pay increse, although the pay was a nice motivator

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Good job Wats, way to go!

Jami

big_g
    Isle, MN

Now with alot of practice, you can be like a guy that used to weld where I worked previous…. people always said, he could weld wood under water I wish I would have paid more attention in high school welding, or took any of the “free” classes, they held after hours at my old employer, its a great trade to have

big G

superdave
    NE IA

Good job Mike. Welding can be a lot of fun!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Way to go Wats!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Congrats Wats! Rewind a year ago, and I think you would have sworn you would have never seen this day come, huh?

Boone04
    Fountain city, WI

predator2 jr
    rochester,mn

try doing a vertical up standing on your head lol i thought it was easy when i tested out at work till i got put on the floor

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Congrats Wats. That’s a nice Christmas present and great way to start the new year.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Atta boy!

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Nice job Wats!!! Glad to hear the new job is going well!!

Ted

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Way to go Mike. I remember passing my certifacation tests and was happy I passed them too and I also felt it was for the accomplishment and not just for the money. I welded for 9 years, just try to not get burned and save for clothes at the second hand shop like I did. For those who don’t know, you get burned occasionally and sparks turn your clothes into rags in about 4 months but its a good trade and creates awsome eye and hand coordintaion. Some guys are so good at it they can weld the cutting edges of two razorblades together and weld two pieces of aluminum foil together and not burn through. Again way to go Mike! congradulations

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Congrats Mike!

-J.

martin_vrieze
    Eagan

Way to go …good welders are always in demand.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Congrats Wats….I know you were pumped to get that out of your way

jerry b
    western WI

Good Job- -first your boat, now your job, congrats Mike jerr

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

Congrats Wats,

Welding has rewarded me with many of opportunities, you might just be amazed at the opportunities that have been opened for you. Just remember to never quit learning, if you are looking to make top dollar with a welding career you need to start practicing on Carbon and Stainless pipe in 6g using 6010/7018, Tig, and Mig. I think you will find this usefull in the future.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Congrats Welding is a great skill to have. It always seems to come in handy on little projects that seem to keep growing.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

As of this morning, I am finished with all 4 tests and passed them all

I got my bent test plates back from the lab this morning as well from the 2 vertical tests. The guy who did the tests congratulated me for being the fastest person to ever get all 4 tests done as well as not even have a nick on my test weld plates. I felt pretty good about that.
    Now, SHOW ME THE MONEY

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Thats cool dude!!!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Congrats Mike!!!

Hey remember the Trail Hawk Tree Stands? Have I got a project for you.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.