24v trolling motor

• SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

i just bought a 24v trolling motor (upgrade from a 12) i looked at the powering diagram and it looks simple enough but heres my cofusion, in the battery compartment of my boat (alumacraft navigator 175cs) there are 4 wires (red, orange, black, and a black with a blue stripe)that go to the plug in for the trolling motor, the plug in is a 4 prong, when i bought the boat new 3 years ago they said it was wired for 24v. i’m confused, any help out there?

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Here’s a diagram for 3 a wire setup.

Call the guys at Motor Clinic to find out for sure which wire goes where on the 4 wire set up.

http://www.motorclinic.com/

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

thanls for the reply, still confused, heres what i have
    female end of plug has 4 wires conected to it (red, orange, black, and black with blue stripe) the male end of the plug has 3 wires (red, orange, and black) the trolling motor (new terrova 80#, 24v, with AP and US2) has 2 wires black and red what am i missing here?

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

With the four wire system you have you need to make the jump to 24 in the four prong plug itself..Jump the – to + from opisit batteries inside the 4 prong plug. Then wire the remaing two terminals – and + to the trolling motor as in a 12 volt system.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

That wire system is set to jump at the plug. It is made to run 12 or 24 volts. With that wire system you do not need a jumper from battery to battery. Here is how you hook up your system. You take and hook the red(+)wire and one black(-)wire to one battery. Then you take the orange(+)wire and one black wire with a blue stripe(-) to the other battery. This will give you 24 volts to the plug and 12 volts as well. Just remember red wire in the boat is 12 volts and orange wire in the boat is 24 volts. SO when you hook the plug from the trolling motor up to the plug in the boat the red trolling motor wire(+ 24 volts) must hook up to the prong that matches the orange wire that is connected to the boats plug. If you have a tester you can test which prong has 12 or 24 volts and know which prong the wire needs to be hooked to. If you need more instruction PM me and you could give me a call.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

You take and hook the red(+)wire and one black(-)wire to one battery. Then you take the orange(+)wire and one black wire with a blue stripe(-) to the other battery. This will give you 24 volts to the plug and 12 volts as well. Just remember red wire in the boat is 12 volts and orange wire in the boat is 24 volts. SO when you hook the plug from the trolling motor up to the plug in the boat the red trolling motor wire(+ 24 volts) must hook up to the prong that matches the orange wire that is connected to the boats plug.

You still need to run a jumper in the plug or you will not have 24 volts. Jumnper from + to – of apposeing batteries.

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

tom,
    after reading your reply i looked at it from a differant angle and things kind of made sense, got her wired up last night, slapped the volt meter on it and we’re good to go
    thanks to all

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

we’re good to go
    thanks to all [/quote

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

If you still have trouble go down to your local dealer that sells your brand of boat. I think they will be glad to give directions on how to hook up your wires properly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.