Lund ProV: SE versus LE models?

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I’ve seen quite a few LE models of the ProV from Lund for sale lately. It makes more sense to me to have an SE model, as the consoles are further forward. Some of the LE models I’ve seen make it look like the seats are almost on top of the motor, they’re so far back. So the general question is……why would anyone prefer the LE version? What am I missing here?

gregmerz
    Minnetonka & Remer, MN

I don’t think you’re missing anything. I’ve owned two SE’s and have looked at some of the LE’s around lately. The LE will provide a smoother ride for the driver given that you’re farther back in the boat. But fishability I think is hampered by the lack of space behind the console. The space in front of the console is huge the setup just doesn’t work for me.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I’ve got a Pro V SE model. If I were fishing for muskies (casting, not trolling), I would prefer having more space up front. There should be enough space up front in the LE model to have 2 people casting and still have 1 person in the back of the boat casting. If I were doing more trolling, I would prefer to have more room in the back of the boat.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

A friend of mine has a custom Pro-V and had the seats moved back as far as he could (farther then the LE models). He leaves his boat on Rainy lake, and everything behind the counsel is covered at all times. When he runs he is always dry, and when he fishes, he has the most space to use.

In his situation, it works wonderful, for someone on a smaller lake without hour drives being typical, I don’t think it makes sense. He also has a cabin on an island, so needs to run in some very bad weather to get back to shore.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

i have a 2025 LE single console. after fishing in most type of boats, the LE was the choice for me and here is why. when trolling, all the action is in front of you, no looking back over your shoulder to see the rods. all your guests in the boat are next to you or in front of you for easy talking, no looking back all the time to have a conversation. the kicker is right behind you for easy operation and your electronics are right in front of you, no need for a extra unit in the back of the boat. no extra control for the kicker either. i have a tiller kicker, and have the link to the main motor and run the throttle with my hand and steer with the wheel. most of the time i use the kicker i steer with the tiller, quicker responce than spinning the wheel. there is plenty of room in the back of the boat to fight fish, there is plenty of room to fight fish on the main floor, and well, if you want to have a polka dance, the front casting deck is the place for that. the LE is all about room to fish. the ride is smoother also. if you are around mille lacs, get in touch with me and i will show you the difference. i am not a fan of the IFS models that some of the PWT pros are running. they will keep you a little dryer, but i think they take up too much room. for the way i fish, the LE fits my style the best………………tom fellegy

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

The LE looks like its set up more for back trolling too.

mille-lacs-guy
    Chaska, MN

As far as I know the LE basically evolved from the Gary Roach Tiller Pro V’s that had a little console to hide behind. I’m sure some of you remember this tiller boats with small consoles/windshields to hide behind. I think the LE is a logical choice for someone who has switched from a tiller boat to a console. As Kraig indicated it is ideally set up for back trolling with a vantage. You can just rotate in your seat and backtroll.

sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

Buy one of each run em for a season and tell me which one you like best at the end of the season. .Both have there place and I’m sure there are days you wished you had one and on others you like the other one.I’ve looked at both and one day I think one is the coolest thing since sliced bread and 2 weeks later think the next time I buy it’s going to be the other model.But I am always looking for a new toy.

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

If anyone has an LE they really hate and want to give away, just let me know, id be glad to help out!

I’m a tiller man, but if i had the change to pick up another boat, it would be an 20′ LE for sure.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

Buy one of each run em for a season and tell me which one you like best at the end of the season.

Man, you’ve met me and know I don’t have Sharkbait kind of cash!!!

Well truth be known, I am kinda looking at boats right now, and have run across quite a few LE models of the ProV, and the more I look at them, the more I just don’t get it. But some good points were made on here about that model, so thanks for those, guys. I’m kinda stuck on Crestliner (which is what I have now, but would love to upgrade to the tourny series) and Optimax motors, but you don’t see the two together much, I’ve concluded.

And thanks for the offer PuddlePounder….I wish I were close to Mille Lacs, I’d take ya up on that! I’ll be up there for the first time in about 3 weeks from today, so I’m lookin forward to that trip.

Thanks again for the info guys, and your points of view. It’s appreciated.

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

I just bought a 1900 Pro V SE myself, my first Lund.

I’ve been searching since the spring really, and I’ve gone through the whole progression, from small to big, plain to loaded.

Like the original poster, I don’t get the LE layout either, I made up my mind pretty early that I would only buy the SE model. I actually passed up some pretty good deals on LEs.

I don’t like the LE layout for a few reasons –

1 – If you’re fishing with more than 2 people, those people are going to be uncomfortable while travelling at all times. That was a big one for me, especially since I plan to use the boat as a family boat as well. Having a larger “enclosed” area was critical.

2 – Even when fishing with 2, the guy in the back would always be at a disadvantage for space. I’ve always fished front and back, I don’t like the idea of both guys fishing from one end of the boat.

3 – I’m not a troller. I can kinda see the appeal to the guys that spend a lot of their time trolling.

4 – All the gear that inevitably gets brought onto the boat for a day of fishing tends to end up at the back of the boat, out of the way, and out of the harsh bouncing. With the LE, I can see it getting pretty cramped back there.

I can see the LE models riding better and drier in the rough stuff, that would be an definite upside.

Anyhoo, just my 2 cents.

Waxy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.