Speaking of Chewing Tobacco

• showags
    Hastings, MN

Wade, if you are going to try some non-tobacco snuff, I found that you can get free samples(plus shipping and handling of course!!) from the Smokey Mountain brand. This thread made me reconsider my habits and I think I am going to give it a whirl. My biggest thing is I prefer un-flavored tobacco over any of the flavored stuff, which I am sure is impossible to replicate without actual tobacco! But we will see how it goes. The link Smokey Mountain Samples I haven’t forgotten about that GPS unit either, still trying to get the boss to budge!!

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I have tried quitting a few times. The smokey mountain snuff was not too bad. But I would say to stay away from things like that in you rlip becasue it keeps that oral habit going. I too am not so adicted to the nicotine as I am to the oral deal. Doing the fake stuff only keeps you wanting. You have to be ready to quit in your head.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I am over the nicotine. Don’t need it. But the gravings for the chew are POWERFUL

Hate to be the one to point this out, but you are NOT over the nicotine. You are craving nicotine, not a lump of tobacco under your lip. There is some part of your brain that is trying to trick the reasonable part of your brain to “Go ahead, one dip won’t hurt…..come on….just take a dip….” That’s the first part of falling off the wagon. Don’t give in. Continue to ignore the cravings, don’t try to pacify them.

I love the Twain quote, so true! This comes from a guy who smoked a couple packs of Marlboro reds AND chewed 2 tins a day for 15 years. Continue with the cold turkey. I really think it is the only way to go.

By the way, just reading this post makes my lip sweat and mouth water…….

-J.

papajon
    Grand Island Ne

Wade, have you tryed jerky dont eat it just suck out the flavor.Get good quality jerky. That should help ya.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

I quit the Monday after the Mille LAcs GTG as a deal with my daughter and me of course. I had no issues to a point of course like us all. What I did to get over my cravings is started making sure I had at least 1 or 2 packs of 2 different kinds of Orbit gum. the sweet mint and bubble mint and about a 1 pound bag of the red and white mints you get after meals. I chewed for 15 years and did more because I was bored and sitting at a desk all day long. now if I get the urge/desire to chew or munch for that fact I just toss in 2 peices of gum and if need be after chewing holding it in my gum where Iused to chew. I used to chew Kodiak Ice and the flavors are darn near the same except one is better for me obviously. To originally help my first week or so I went through about 5 pounds of the mints. at least I had good breath.

I have not had a chew since . and did have a night or two where my buddies were all over me when I tried bumming one. I made sure I did not have a tin on me.

Broncs

sand_burr
    Grasston, MN

Another trick is to take out the non-tobacco can and tap it a few times like your going to take a dip of the real stuff. Amazingly peacfull sound in a boat that relaxes the urge.

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

Its weird I can go months without wanting one then one weekend go through a couple tins and then nothing again for a while and then back for a week or so. fortunate to not want it all the time, how ever if im not chewing then my nails take an whoopin’!! just down to the skin till they bleed not good either!

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

I started chewing a year ago to quit smoking, now i only smoke the occasional opc’s (other peoples cigarettes) or when i drink . A can of chew lasts me a whole day and the crap i buy is way cheaper than smokes. Im halfway there. If anyone figures out the magic way to quit everything, i’ll invest in the idea.

sand_burr
    Grasston, MN

Keep in mind people there is only one way to quit.

Step One: If you truly do not want to quit you probably will not succeed!

Yes, its going to be tuff but suck it up!

It works that way with everything.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I started chewing a year ago to quit smoking

That’s what happened to me. Quit a 1.5 to 2 pack a day smoking habit by picking up the chew. Then, started smoking and chewing! Remember, packing a chew is like smoking 4 cigs at a time. Quitting chew is much harder than quitting smoking IMO. I was a total addict. I had to get up 2 times a night to satisfy the addiction. I packed a chew during the morning shower!! I was way off the edge!

Quote:

If anyone figures out the magic way to quit everything, i’ll invest in the idea.

It’s here in this thread. Decide to do it and go cold turkey. No one has said it’s easy…..

-J.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Quote:

Quote:

If anyone figures out the magic way to quit everything, i’ll invest in the idea.

It’s here in this thread. Decide to do it and go cold turkey. No one has said it’s easy…..

-J.

I’ve been chewing Cope since I was 16 (that’s 30 years ago now ). I’ve been working with an addiction treatment center (they’re a client of mine) and I’ve worked up a ‘formula’ based on research done at the Medical University of South Carolina. A scientist there has discovered a biochemical pathway that is altered by addictions. I won’t go into details (PM me if you want more information) but the National Institute of Health is sponsoring a clinical trial evaluating the utility of taking a simple amino acid, something you should be able to buy at a health food store or a place like GNC. It’s call n-acetyl cysteine. It stops the ‘seeking behaviour’ that is triggered by a ‘cue’ – like a sound, smell, setting.

Here’s what I recommend: find a good quality N-acetyl cysteine (should also contain folic acid, Vitamin C, and selenium) and take 600 to 900 mgs three times a day. At the same time, take another amino acid, theanine, that is found in green tea (100 mg or so).

My formula is bit more complicated but the above should do the trick… it helped me stop a 30+ addiction!

redneck
    Rosemount

And just in case there are any young folks that have read this far the easiest method of all hasn’t been mentioned yet——Don’t start!!!!! As I read what everyone has gone through I am so very thankful that I never started. It was close a time or two but thank God I didn’t cause it sounds like hell trying to stop. Not trying to be cute but in case there is one young person out there who is reading this that is thinking it would be cool to try it—-DON’T!!!!! These guys will tell you they could have bought a heck of alot of fishing equipment with the money spent on chew and smokes!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I was fortunate enough about 30 years ago to swallow some Skoal juice one of the first times I tried chewing. After having my head spin and seeing stars for about a half hour, I puked a couple times, dry heaved for a while and felt sick for 2 days. I really don’t feel the need to chew that stuff anymore.

Back about the same time, my parents always threatened if I got caught smoking cigerettes they would make me chain smoke a couple packs (making me inhale all of them) until I would get sick. Luckily, I never really got into smoking cigs either (and never got caught). Now I wish I knew why I started drinking beer.

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

I can recommend a few “oral fixation” subtitutes – sunflower seeds and sugar-free gum. I used to have a dip or ten when traveling and then switched to sunflower seeds. I’ll fill up a pop bottle with empty seeds when traveling, but it’s better than chewing or smoking.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I agree redneck, if you can help it don’t start, $6.00 a tin times 2 tins a day times 7 days a week, you add that up, that is a new fishing rod every 2 weeks, not to mention the money you spend now trying to quit. if you can help it, don’t start, it is rough trying to quit.

shane

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I figured I am spending roughly $55 per week on chew. Times that by 52 weeks and I come close to $3000 per year If I were to figure that out since I started chewing back in 1989, that would be a whopping $51,000

sundogg44
    Eden Prairie/Mille Lacs

I was/am going through a couple tins a week. I never considered myself an “addict” per se, I always said I could quit whenever I wanted to … I just have never really wanted to.

I quit for a few months and it wasn’t really too bad, but then something came up – it always does – and I had a chew; one led to two; two lead to a tin, etc.

I only “quit” because my girlfriend wanted me to and I made a deal with her. I didn’t really want to do it. I still don’t want to quit. I know I should, but it’s honestly one of my favorite parts of the day. Sad, but true.

Sadly, it’ll probably take some sort of horrible life-changing even to get me to quit. And by then, it’s probably too late anyways.

krazzyk45
    La Crosse, WI

I chewed for around 6 – 7 years and finally quit a few years ago. The approach that I took is a very good one for somebody that has trouble quitting cold turkey.

First of all you have to have your mind made up that you are really ready to quit and that your really want to do it. If you are not ready to quit it’s not going to work. You have to put yourself on a schedule and have a goal date for when you want to finally quit chewing (maybe 1 or 2 months from today, mark it on the calendar).

What I did was bought some of the fake chew (Smokey Mountain or the Mint snuff) and would take out 1/2 the can and replace it with the regular chew so I would have a 1/2 & 1/2 blend. I would chew this blend for a week or 2. After the time period was up I would go down to 1/4 regular chew – 3/4 fake chew blend. I would chew this blend for a week or two. After that I went to straight fake stuff and then eventually quit it all together.

This system works great because you can set the schedule however you want. If you want to chew the 1/2 & 1/2 blend for a month, that’s fine; just as long as you are slowing chewing less and less as you go on. Over time you are still getting the nicotine but less of it. Eventually you will not crave the nicotine anymore and will be able to finally quit!

Hope this works for a few of you out there trying to quit.

Good luck

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

To make it easy on yourself stop doing the things that remind you of chewing. Eating certain foods fishing etc…. Just kidding. Sept 9 will be one year for me and its gettng easier every day. Stay with if and you’ll be happy in the long run.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Not sure if this will work but what the heck, if you’ve tried everything else and you still chew maybe this mental image will help….

I work at a rather famous clinic in SE MN and for 5 years I would review surgical procedures to insure compliance when translated for reimbursement. The most riveting cases that are engrained forever in my mind were the oral cancer cases. The surgeon would begin with what seemed like a minor excision and hours later after removal of most of the tongue and a majority of the throat (larynx, uvula, pharynx, etc.) and mandible and/or maxillary bone this surgical case would be completed. Now for the hard part. For the next few weeks these poor individuals would return to the OR for reconstruction.

Not sure if this paints a picture that can help you kick the habit but for whatever it’s worth I hope it helps.

Just think you might not be able to watch your kids grow old, have grand children and teach them to hunt and fish…..

Ok that’s enough of the morbidity……

Good luck with your efforts.
    Kurt

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Not sure if this will work but what the heck, if you’ve tried everything else and you still chew maybe this mental image will help….

I work at a rather famous clinic in SE MN and for 5 years I would review surgical procedures to insure compliance when translated for reimbursement. The most riveting cases that are engrained forever in my mind were the oral cancer cases. The surgeon would begin with what seemed like a minor excision and hours later after removal of most of the tongue and a majority of the throat (larynx, uvula, pharynx, etc.) and mandible and/or maxillary bone this surgical case would be completed. Now for the hard part. For the next few weeks these poor individuals would return to the OR for reconstruction.

Not sure if this paints a picture that can help you kick the habit but for whatever it’s worth I hope it helps.

Just think you might not be able to watch your kids grow old, have grand children and teach them to hunt and fish…..

Ok that’s enough of the morbidity……

Good luck with your efforts.
    Kurt

Kurt, So true. That’s the only reason I quit at all. If it weren’t for that little detail, I’d have a chew in right now. Why is it that so many of life’s little pleasures will kill you?

fish4fish888
    Wahkon,MN

Quote:

Luckily, I never really got into smoking cigs either (and never got caught). Now I wish I knew why I started drinking beer.

you started drinking beer for the same reason everyone else on here did, you are from minnesota and you fish

no but on a serious note, i have been chewing since i was 15 (now almost 20) and it really is the dumbest thing i have ever done. what a waste of money. you spend all of the money on it with nothing to show. but it is so hard to quit, so i [censored] out and buy some more. chewing gum does help too though

akockelm
    Metro MN

I just quit the cope habit this year after doing it for over 25 years. Nicorette gum and mint snuff were the only thing that worked for me. I needed the feeling of something in my lip and the mint snuff was the closest to the real thing I’ve found. Once the nicotine part was under control, I was able to cut back on the mint stuff and finally stop all together. I still keep cans of the mint snuff in “high risk” places like the car and the boat in case I feel the urge to slip. Best thing is, it WAS NOT HARD! The combination of the nicotine gum and the mint snuff made it easy to do.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Over the years I have managed to become addicted to and quit a wide range of vices from various drugs to alcohal to tobacco. Now I drink 2 + pots of coffee a day and am a compulsive eater when stressed or bored. If you have that personality it is a life long battle won in small steps.Good luck to all with their struggles.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Merry Christmas to all of you spammers out there too!

This was our Christmas Gift to you!

(This thread is from 2007)

Viewing 25 posts - 31 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.