Trailering boat through IL Tollway

• mike-west
    Participant
    Amery, WI

I am trying to go meet some freinds down in Port Clinton in a couple weeks. I have business to do in the area and thinking this trip, the boat needs to come with.

I have fished Erie many times in spring and have friends that guide there so that portion I’m comfertable with.

It’s trailering throuhg the IL & IN tollway’s that I curious about.

I try to avoid Chicago and the Tollway like it’s the Plaque.

Can anyone chime in and let me know what I should expect (other than rediculous charges I will experience)

What lanes to pay in when pulling a trailor and any other info sure would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike

Grouse_Dog
    Participant
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Toll is extra per axle.

Dog

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

When we go thu the Chicago area we go thru in the middle of the night… Makes passing thu so much quicker.. and make sure you use the truck and trailer lane.. I know it sound obvious but I first thought it meant semi’s

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Toll is extra per axle.

Dog

Pack a pound of gold for the tolls You’ll feel like you got screwed…but easy going. I drive over to Trenton,MI as often as I can and take the tollway down through the circle, and 90 tollway into IN. I time it out so I am hitting the WI/IL state line by no later than 6:00am – preferably by 5am. Normally, its above speed limit all the way. When returning, I target two different times. If its a sunday, I try to make the IN/IL state line before 8am…or after 6pm. Just a tip on the north bound. Try to stay in the left lane all the way through Addison St. If the express lane isn’t open, you’ll have a left lane close in 1000 feet and that is a pain in the because that is a huge bottle neck. Once your past there, easy cruise through.
    If you have a buddy that is chronically late, you may want to leave hime behind Whatever you do, do NOT go through at 4pm – Yes, there is a guy sitting on that couch

mike-west
    Participant
    Amery, WI

That picture is enough to scare any anxious fisherman away from traveling through that Mess.
    I agree with everyone, off hours is a must.

So with a trailer, you have to use truck lanes (same as the semis) Betting that can slow ya down a bit.

Thanks for the replies everyone!!!

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

So with a trailer, you have to use truck lanes (same as the semis) Betting that can slow ya down a bit.

Thanks for the replies everyone!!!

If you hit the off hours like I do, the only slow down is Tolls and a pee break at McDonalds on the toll bridge.

Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I can’t believe no one suggested this.

Go online and get yourself an I-Pass ahead of time and save yourself some money.

I-Pass

And save time as well.

munchy
    Participant
    NULL

I’ve never taken the trip but why can’t a guy use the “Avoid Tolls” option on your GPS? I just checked Google and it only adds 12 miles to your trip. May take a little longer but I imagine the toll savings could make up for it.

CrzyToad75
    Participant

Get the IPass. I grew up half way between Port Clinton and Toledo and have had countless numbers of trips back there from Minnesota over the last 25 years. More than a few towing a boat. It’s tollway starting near Rockford, IL and going all the way through Ohio so the avoid the toll app won’t help you unless you take side roads aand add extra time to the trip. The IPass works in Indiana and Ohio also. In and around Chicago the IPass lanes are separate and you don’t even have to slow down unless traffic is backed up. The other states you have to go through toll gates but only like at 10 mph. Ipass automatically counts axles and the tolls are 1/2 price if you use the IPass over stopping at a booth.
    There is a big truck stop outside of Rockford off of US20 that has the IPass when you first come into town. I think it is $50. $40 goes towards your first tolls and then after you activate it over the phone, it automatically charges your credit card as needed.
    I second the go through Chicago at off hours. When I go back to see relatives I plan on hitting Chicago after 7pm and before 5am at all costs. The drunks on the Skyway in the middle of the night are pretty interesting… expect unexpected lane changes…

wimwuen
    Participant
    LaCrosse, WI

Yes, get the Ipass. It takes 1/2 off the price of tolls, and you just drive through. You’ll save enough on the way there and back to justify the $10 it costs you to keep it. It’s $50 to get it, with $40 going to toll costs, which you will have at least that much going to Port Clinton and back.

mike-west
    Participant
    Amery, WI

IPass it’s going to be… I think. Has to be worth what ever just so you don’t have to wait in truck lines.
    Really, work on IL, IN, & OH tollways.

Is there anywhere one can get an accurate estimate of what the toll costs would be using I pass, for 4 axles (2 on truck, 2 on trailer) both ways and just put that amount into account?

I think when you get close to running out, doesn’t it add a certain amount back into your account maybe leaving a high balance after trip (if that makes sense)

Thanks everyone, really vauable info.

cupspits
    Participant

That’s a bad idea you don’t want to drive through the hood to save pennies!

CrzyToad75
    Participant

Quote:

IPass it’s going to be… I think. Has to be worth what ever just so you don’t have to wait in truck lines.
    Really, work on IL, IN, & OH tollways.

Is there anywhere one can get an accurate estimate of what the toll costs would be using I pass, for 4 axles (2 on truck, 2 on trailer) both ways and just put that amount into account?

I think when you get close to running out, doesn’t it add a certain amount back into your account maybe leaving a high balance after trip (if that makes sense)

Thanks everyone, really vauable info.

Yes. I’ve used it many times all the way across Illinois, Indiana and Ohio.

It does add a set amount to your IPass account and it sits there till you use it again or goes over that amount. I think it adds $40 each time if I remember right.

tsamp
    Participant
    eldora, iowa

Mike,
    Go to the I Pass site. There is a trip calculator there.

tracker2
    Participant
    Bloomington

Take the I-90 to Millwaukee turnoff at Madison to avoid the tollway at least to downtown Chicago. There is one toll on the I-90 route, lots less traffic and headaches. On another note – get the I-pass, much faster traveling.

mike-west
    Participant
    Amery, WI

Huge help everyone
    Many thanks
    Mike

redrnger
    Participant

I think it is about 20.00 bucks each way.When you get to the Il state line get off on Rockton road and theres a Loves gas station.You can purchase one there or as said purchase on line.

masters
    Participant
    oregon il

Not sure but I think 90 is under construction still from Belvidere on to Chicago suburbs has been for ever,speed limits is 45 and narrow lanes.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.