Air Duct Cleaning Recommendations

• PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a company that cleans air ducts? Looking for something reasonably priced that does a thorough job and won’t require cleaning afterwards. I’d like to get a couple estimates to get mine cleaned out and value recommendations from people who have first hand working knowledge. Thanks!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’d like to know how necessary people think it is. I recently posted about waiting too long on our dryer vent but I cant imagine any serious issues with heating vents.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Are you sure that you need your ducts cleaned? Only reason that I ask is, I once took a part time job working for an air duct cleaning service. For the large majority of the houses we worked on it was a scam. The duct cleaning did almost nothing as ducts typically arent that dirty. Houses that did benefit from the service were either pretty old, had heavy smoking going on for years, or had mold or mildew issues somewhere in the house that spread to the ducts. Sorry that I cant help you with recommendations if your house falls into one of those categories, but just didn’t want you to fall into a scam just because “everybody else is doing it”. Let me put it this way, the job was paying about 500 bucks a week for only 20hrs or so (no prior experience) but I felt guilty enough about what we were doing that I quit after I got my first check……….

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Now there’s the info I was looking for. Thank you very much!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Just change your filter once a month.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

I sure haven’t done it that often but thanks for the reminder. I guarantee its getting done today!

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

x 2 I have two asthmatics in the house and changing the filter has helped them immensely over the years.
    BTW, I was warned by a service person to ‘not’ over do the filter recommendations as this can cause your motor to wear out early. And if it doesn’t move the air because of the filter being ‘too’ much of a hindrance, the temp sensor can quit working. Better to go light than heavy if you don’t know your furnaces recommendation.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

My sons friend has a unit that uses rotating brush and a vacuum unit. My house was built in 1958 and while adding a new heating run we discovered a large amount of dust bunnies. I helped him do it and we got a lot of dust out and some carpet trimmings that a previous owner or carpet layer stuffed in the ducts restricting flow and causing dust to collect. I would check the inside of a duct to see if cleaning is needed.

Mwal

TripleA
    Blaine

Buy the second cheapest filters in multi-packs you can get from fleet farm or menards and change them once a month. Leave a Sharpie marker on the furnace and write the date you changed the filter on the side of the filter itself.

TripleA
    Blaine

For summer months or any months that allergens are a concern spend around the $8-12 mark for a better filter that will last 2-3 months.

plumbum75

I would have to disagree with the scam thing. If some ones ducts are clean and you don’t tell them…..that’s one thing….but it does work. I did it for a short period commercially and residentially. Not a fun job. If you have pets I would recommend it for sure.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

AAA wicks cleans ducts. I chat with Wayne once and a while on line. Seems like a pretty straight shooter.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.