Boat storage and Mice

• bigcrappie
    Blaine

Storing my boat in a friends barn this year to free up my garage. It is in a high Mice area. Moth balls and sticky traps? What do you do?

stuart
    Mn.

Sticky traps freeze and don’t work.

Bounce dryer sheets,mothballs in old sock,Irish spring soap all work.Don’t forget some under the motor cowling and don’t be shy on the amount you use.If they take a liking to your wires your fuched.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

Fresh-cab worked GREAT for us last two years

“Fresh Cab is proven effective in getting rid of mice in your home, garage and storage areas. It keeps mice out of your stored cars, boats, RVs and farm equipment, and because it is natural it’s safe to use around pets and livestock.

It’s the only product of its kind that’s Fed. EPA Certified to safely use indoors, and it comes with a 100% Money Back Guarantee.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Cab Fresh in the camper the last 4 years…….no mice.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not a fan of moth balls since my father in laws boat coshin was chewed on right next to a couple moth ball…and they stink.

Dryer sheets and what Rod Man recommended, plus a live trap or two on the floor below the boat.

Along the same lines, this only happened once that I know of, but plugging your exhaust ports in the prop are could save a fella some buck.

A mouse went up his exhaust port and build a nest IN HIS CYLINDER.

True story.

Jim Kissinger
    Markesan WI

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THE MOTHBALLS i thought they were out of a boat i was working on I could smell the what i thoght was left over smell I looked all over didnt see any went under the dash to work on some wires I almost passed out and was nausiated for 4 days they can kill you

gary d
    cordova,il

Trap on the outside of boat is a good one. Sometime ago there was a thread about a 5 gal pail with a rod across with peanut butter on rod. Mice would go out on rod and fall in a pail of anti-freeze to drown. Then their is no smell.

red89
    Hudson

Cats Never saw any signs of mice in my boat stored in the barn last year.

buckeye

I’ve never seen Cab Fresh. Where do you buy it? Thanks, R

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

I’ve never seen Cab Fresh. Where do you buy it? Thanks, R

Here are your buying options >>>
    cab fresh

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Menards and Farm and Fleet both have Cab Fresh.

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

cab fresh xxxxx222222

Aaron

I dryer sheet the heck out of my boat, so far so good for me.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Minimize ways for the mice to get in in the first place. Every connection between the boat and the trailer is something the mice can crawl up.

If possible, remove the tiedown straps and push the boat back on the trailer to make it harder for the mice to crawl up the winch post to get into the boat in the first place.

If I was storing it in my own building, I’d also have traps all over on the ground as well. Give the mice something to eat before they even get to the boat.

And having a cat does work. I think just the scent of the cat drives mice away. At best, our current cat is what I’d call a passive deterrent. Very passive. But since he adopted Mrs. Grouse, we’ve had no mice problmes in the garage whereas I had to run an all winter trap line in there before the cat. The cat patrols the garage every day in between long naps, but whatever, you can’t argue with his results.

Grouse

dog2th
    Omaha, NE

I had ONE opossum get into my boat once and he found many nooks and crannies under the floor on top of the floatation foam where it was warm and pooped enough for me to think he was there for months. NASTY!

An ounce of prevention.
    Those varmits get into places you’d never imagine.

Regardless of whatever you use to repel them, your best defense is vigilance.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Moth balls aren’t an option for me. They will stink/stain your boat forever. Dryer sheets worked well the last time I used them. Well that is for mice nesting material. I recommend removing anything and everything a mouse could use in your boat for food or nest material. Then the barn needs to be addressed. That’s where all the killing should take place. Not on your boat. That’s just my experience.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

make up one of those buckets with anti freeze, drill dowel sized hole in each side, dowel through the holes, put peanut butter on the middle of the dowel. Have some sort of walkway up the side of the pail and you will have pickled mice all winter.

shoot_n_release
    Mora, MN

Quote:

make up one of those buckets with anti freeze, drill dowel sized hole in each side, dowel through the holes, put peanut butter on the middle of the dowel. Have some sort of walkway up the side of the pail and you will have pickled mice all winter.

I’m guessing water would be just as effective. Chances are the mice will drown in the antifreeze before they’re able to digest it.

Aaron

Quote:

Quote:

I’m guessing water would be just as effective. Chances are the mice will drown in the antifreeze before they’re able to digest it.

Don’t believe the water will stay a liquid much longer for them to drowned in.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I was a believer in dryer sheets. A person can see the mouse poo on them easier.

That year I used generic sheets and that might have had something to do with it too.

Never had a problem with the name brand sheets.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

BK, when you told me the drier sheets didn’t work, I planted a few harmless fox snakes on your property to help you out.

Your welcome.

The_Bladepuller
    South end

Fresh Cab is new to me but I’ll try some of that too. Belt, suspenders, and a rope over the shoulder. Too many potential problems from gnawers.
    I have used dryer sheets and Tomcat, rodent poison both at the same time. Never had a dead mouse in the boats , since they try to find H2O after ingesting. I have Tomcat out year round at the cabin & the chippers are less of a problem then, also. I do find the pellets in some strange places though.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.