walleye jigging rod??

• jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Looking at spending up to $100 on a jigging rod. Plan on jiggin mostly 1/4oz jigheads. Any suggestions on which rods I should consider?

riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

I believe the Premiers and Eyecons are made on identical blanks. That said either one is a good choice but the Eyecons have more walleye specific actions. If you’ll be mostly vertical jigging with 1/4oz and lighter the 63MLXF is a good choice. If you’ll be using heavier jigs or pitching in rivers go with a 68MXF

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Dont over look the Fenwick HMX series rods, I have heard some good things about those rods in your price range.

woody-1961
    Menomonie,Wi

Quote:

Dont over look the Fenwick HMX series rods, I have heard some good thing about those rods in your price range.

X 2 I have many different brand name rods for different presentations. The Fenwick HMX 7 ft mlf just purchased this spring and I would say it’s top of my list of favorites.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Say Jiggin what type of jigging do you mostly plan on doing? Vertical, pitching, shore, boat? Helps in picking a rod.

I do all of the above, really half shore and half boat and I found with my 66mfast rod I just get a better feel from shore for the bottom. It doesn’t cast as well as my 7mlfast the smaller jigs, or get the added height for reduced snags from shore that the 7ml has, but if I can control my jig better that is ultimately what I want. The x-fast tip I don’t care for in certain applications, I like my lure to “load” the rod just a tad bit it seems to transmit the feel much better than when it’s so stiff as an xfast. But that’s why I asked how you will be using it. Just some 2cents.

Either way always good times when getting a new rod have fun at all the store feeling em out.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=St-Croix-Premier-Spinning-Rod-66-Medium-Fast&i=410319&r=view&from=grid

Whatever rod you go with Gander Mountain right now has serious mailinrebate offers on their croixs. Get that Premier there for $80, that’s awesome rod for $80. Most guys are gonna say the eyecons for eyes but the premiers are made in usa and I feel are a better rod.

I second this.. but not the buy at gander mtn part.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

I believe the Premiers and Eyecons are made on identical blanks. That said either one is a good choice but the Eyecons have more walleye specific actions. If you’ll be mostly vertical jigging with 1/4oz and lighter the 63MLXF is a good choice. If you’ll be using heavier jigs or pitching in rivers go with a 68MXF

Same blank material, different everything else. I used an eyecon and when it broke I traded it in for a premier. IMO the premier is a better rod. Also made in the USA.

The 6’3MLXF would probably work too, but if you go any higher than 1/4 it will stretch that rod to the limits. The 6’6 M premier will be perfect for 1/4 and 3/8 or even 1/2 in a pinch. Another thing to consider is lure drag. A 1/4 with a big grub or moxie will need a stiffer rod than a 1/4 jig head and minnow. I have a 6’6 MLF that I use with jigs up to 1/4 with minnow. 1/4 with a ringworm is pushing this rod to the limits and IMO overworks the rod bad. A 6’3MLXF will be a little stiffer and could probably handle a 1/4 with moxie but it would again be close to the limits. I wouldnt buy that rod for fishing 1/4.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Quote:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=St-Croix-Premier-Spinning-Rod-66-Medium-Fast&i=410319&r=view&from=grid

Whatever rod you go with Gander Mountain right now has serious mailinrebate offers on their croixs. Get that Premier there for $80, that’s awesome rod for $80. Most guys are gonna say the eyecons for eyes but the premiers are made in usa and I feel are a better rod.

I second this.. but not the buy at gander mtn part.

$30 I don’t care who you are is a good chunk of change that one would save that could be used to go buy some BFNT plastics or jigheads or new line or put to an upgrade on the reel, or a case of beer and a bottle for that next fishing trip up nort wit the boys!!

With that said though GM took about 5weeks for me to get me my rebates shortly after the holidays this year.

jiggin-rake

Thanks guys!

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

I’m gonna go a completely different direction here and give you a company that isn’t known for Walleye rods but makes a HUGE amount of bass rods that are used by Pro-Walleye anglers on tour.

I personally would grab a Dobyns rod. You can grab one of any of their series and you will be 100% in love with it I guarantee it. Here is a link to take a look at them. The sensitivity and backbone they have is the best out there.
    http://dobynsrods.com

honda75
    Iowa

I bought a 6′ 3″ medium action spinning rod from 13Fishing this year and am very happy with it. The owner of the company is originally from Iowa, but the company is based out of florida. Very nice rods.

http://www.13fishing.com/

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

Say Jiggin what type of jigging do you mostly plan on doing? Vertical, pitching, shore, boat? Helps in picking a rod.

Quote:

I couldn’t agree more! Other factors before choosing is jig weight range, and type of line used. Hardline , mono, or both?

I often use the analogy of the right tool size for the job. While a 9/16th wrench may be your favorite or most used wrench, it is not very useful on a 3/8th bolt regardless of the name brand on the wrench.

If we can be of any assistance, feel free to give shout !
    [email protected]

jiggin-rake

1/8-3/8oz. Mainly vertical jigging. Sufix 832 or power pro mainly with occasional mono or flouro.

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

I would definitely go with a Dobyns Rod then… Just saying. They are built for that weight.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.