Warning – beware when buying cameras online

• patk
    Nisswa, MN

I am just finishing up a really bad experience with an online retailer and wanted to pass it on. AVOID http://www.primotronix.com

Did some more research and it sounds like they aren’t the only ones out there with same business practices. http://www.ajrichies.com is making a friend mad right now. I’m wondering if they are owned by the same crooks. Really surprised how sketchy this segment of online retailing is.

Got so mad I wrote my first ever online review of a company. Supposedly it takes 48 hours to be visible to the world but have no idea why. http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Primotronix_com

Either way, beware of online camera and video retailers. Do your homework first!

desperado

beware when buying anything on line
    be at least AWARE when buying anything ANYWHERE

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Thats what happens when you don’t support & do business with your local Brick & Mortar stores (Like Best Buy, National Camera Exchange, etc.) stores and pay state & local sales taxes.

PS: I have no affiliation with either.

chubby
    Bloomington

But look at the bright side, you got a great deal right?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

Thats what happens when you don’t support & do business with your local Brick & Mortar stores (Like Best Buy, National Camera Exchange, etc.) stores and pay state & local sales taxes.

I try as much as possible to support the local stores. However when it comes to outdoor gear they almost never have the products you are looking for these days. Unless it is high margin clothing. Then they are stock to the max on it. The local stores have had as much to do with their loss of sales as online shopping has. Poor management and buying decisions and over pricing of goods.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Quote:

I was having trouble finding it locally. Also tough to pass up $170 off of a $600 camera.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Quote:

But look at the bright side, you got a great deal right?

Ouch That what I was thinking. Silly me trying to be good with my money.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Quote:

beware when buying anything on line

be at least AWARE when buying anything ANYWHERE

Perfect advice and here’s the kicker. My day job is in an IT department and I’m supposed to be smarter than this. I looked at the seller’s ratings and the number of reviews. Didn’t read them until after this started going south. I think they pay someone to add positive reviews.

The thing that suprised me the most is when I started to research other online retailers in this segment. Really shady and almost all of the suspects are around NYC and Stamford, CT.

Still kicking myself and when I forget my fiance gives me a kick too

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

{clipped}

I try as much as possible to support the local stores. However when it comes to outdoor gear they almost never have the products you are looking for these days. Unless it is high margin clothing. Then they are stock to the max on it. The local stores have had as much to do with their loss of sales as online shopping has. Poor management and buying decisions and over pricing of goods.

Same here, for sporting goods (Fishing). I try

Cabin Fever in Victoria

Jeff will try to order stuff and stock things local guys ask for.

and

Mills Fleet Farm in Carver 1st.

(Great site sponsor)

Then either Bass Pro Shops catalog/Online

(I get great discounts thru a personal buying service)

or I go to Cabela’s online.

I stop at Bass Pro in Portage, Indiana on my way to my daughter’s in Kalamazoo, MI. (Still get my nice discounts).

PS: Notice, I did not include Gander Mountain or Wal-MART. I do not shop at either for your exact reasons.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

If I can’t look a guy (or gal) in the eye and ask a question my money isn’t going anywhere. I believe the $170 saved won’t even cover the cost of a lawyer to write a letter for you.

But, if it’s on the Internet it must be true right?

mnmarlin

Certainly because nobody has ever had less than stellar service at Best Buy! I will never buy anything from them again, I’d rather send my money order to some PO box in Canada!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.