Diabetes

• live2fishmillelacs
    Participant
    Blaine, MN

I am new to diabetes,,, what do people do to maintain there numbers when they are doing an 8 hour tournament? Just looking for some tips and tricks.I do have to do insulin.

grumpy
    Participant
    Iowa, Clinton

I think the BEST advice WOULD come from your DOCTOR!

live2fishmillelacs
    Participant
    Blaine, MN

what I am thinking and how it is perceived is often not what I mean. I should have said, what are some easy things that are keep on the boat for snacking and eating. I am staying very close to the Doctor and check in with him before doing anything. Always good advise.

tvfishermn
    Participant

My Dr. had me take diabetes education classes. They were taught by RNs and Nutrionists. It really helped me understand how diet, medication and lifestyle affect your blood sugar levels. I often fish long days. I bring some fresh fruit, cheese and a sandwich. You have to watch your carbs. Make sure you do not end up with no food in the boat if your sugar gets low.

Rodney Bondele

live2fishmillelacs
    Participant
    Blaine, MN

Thank you for registering, mjollymore

Thank you, I am now registered.

live2fishmillelacs
    Participant
    Blaine, MN

Dr does have me set up for classes. I am very excited to start doing tournament fishing this year and not getting “fuzzy” is a very big concern. Fruit, cheese and sandwiches..awesome, thank you

mike ice
    Participant

orange juice is a good quick picker upper. Snickers. These would be for if your sugars get to low. like the others have said watch your carbs. When you start reading food labels you’ll be suprised at what amount of carbs are in different foods.
    You’ve probably heard it already but diet and exercise can help a lot depending on what kind of diabetes. When my uncle was very ill in the hospital his insulin dose was cut in half because of all the weight he lost. He trys very hard to keep that weight off now, its a challenge.
    Good luck in your touraments.

Willy Wonka
    Participant
    Forest Lake, Mn.

I can’t add anything that hasn’t been said other than “wishing you the best”. It’s a tough disease that I have had to watch people in my family succumb to. Just want you to know I am pulling for you!

WS

traumatized
    Participant
    eastern iowa

Those individual packets of peanut butter with the packets of crakers you get at a salad bar. Put them in a zip lock bag and you can leave in the boat for a year. Try to stay away from teh simple sugars like candy bars and soda’s. The 100 cal packs of things like graham crackers and snack crackers are good too. Cheese and cracker packs.

hosejr
    Participant

Snickers is not a good choise for low blood glucos.
    A snickers bar is very slow burning carb and only has a glycemic number of 40. The best thing to do if you get low and this is a short term fix but brink a Mt.Dew. It has a lower glycemic number but it releases faster. like I said short term fix to get you off the water. PB Sammiches are ok also but only if you are with it enough to make sure you can swallow it. Hope this helps and I am not a doctor just an EMT

mwal
    Participant
    Rosemount,MN

Until you really know your body drink lots of water keep you blood glucose monitoring kit with you. Buy some packages of the glucose tablets at the pharmacy keep them in your tackle box, glove box , jacket pocket. Eat your meals at your regular intervals. Make sure your have snacks and sandwiches with the right amount of carbs for each meal. Hydration is very important as it effects the glucose level. Do not be afraid to test. At the 1st sign of feeling weird test and eat if necessary. Also make sure your partner is aware that you are diabetic and knows what to do if you get slurred speech or belligerent etc. They need to know to get a can of oj in you or some of those glucose tablets you should of told them about. It takes some getting used but the old days of eating a bag of chips on the way to the tourny chugging some dews and eating fast food at 10pm after the tourney are lone gone for you. Diabetes is manageable listen to the nutritionist and DR.

Mwal

rivers
    Participant

i carry glucose tablets in my boat, truck and tackle box.

buck-slayer
    Participant

Check your blood sugar every 2 hrs

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.