Kindle Fire vs ipad

• minnesota_tom
    Participant
    Grand Meadow, MN

Thinking about getting FW one for Christmas. She has a regular Kindle but has mentioned she might like a laptop or something on that order. Neither of us know a lot about computers so simpler would be better. I am leaning towards the Kindle Fire simply because the Kindles we have work well and are easy to use. That,and it looks like they are a couple hundred dollars less than the ipad. Anyone have an opinion on one or the other? Thanks in advance.

85lund
    Participant
    Menomonie, WI

I have a Kindle Fire and my laptop sits most of the time. I like it for web browsing and reading books. I have had no issues with it and have owned it for over a year. Battery life is good too. I have no use for an ipad and don’t need the larger screen at this time. might need one in a few years though if my vision gets any worse The only reason I do get on the laptop is if I am going to be doing a lot of typing.

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

Just bought the kindle Fire HD for my family. I like it my other unit I was looking at was the Samsung 7.1 was the same price $199 The google is a good unit also but at $50 more I got the HD

chomps
    Participant
    Sioux City IA

my wife and I were tossing the the Kindle Fire HD and the Nook HD around, both the same price, but I have some reward points to use on the Kindle. I was doing some research and there’s a ton of new stuff showing up.

icenutz
    Participant
    Aniwa, WI

I cannot comment on the Kindle, but I’m typing this on my iPad. I was a Apple hater for years mainly because I’m in IT and cut my teeth on Microsoft back in the 80’s.

I have to say I love the iPad and all the apps. Navionics is one of my favorite. The screen is not the best in direct sunlight but it works great on the boat. Super easy to use, no worry bout virus or malware problems.

cougareye
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

We just got my daughter the Nook HD color. She loves it. Both her and my wife are on the Nook account. I have an Ipad and love it.

I’d go with the Kindle Fire just because you already have a Kindle account and know how to use it. They are all pretty comparable.

If there’s one particular use you’ll do more than others, list it here and someone may be able to tell you which unit does that best.

For general uses such as email, web browsing, Netflix, etc. they all work well.

ET

minnesota_tom
    Participant
    Grand Meadow, MN

Thanks everyone for the input. I’ll go take a look at them this weekend.

Paulski
    Participant
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Kindle Fire HD for me…

stcroixer
    Participant
    Croix Valley

Highly recommend the iPad mini if going the Apple route, the iPad is just too heavy after holding for any length of time. Wife has the Kindle fire and the original Kindle, and says she likes to read on the original Kindle way better.

muskie-tim
    Participant
    Rush City MN

I looked at all the tablets in the 7 inch range and ended up with an iPad mini. Love it. Like others I am in IT and worked on Microsoft products all my career but, the iPad is very nice and it works! Easy to use and nice screen. There are apps for either Kindle or Nook. FW is the one who pointed me in the Apple direction, sometimes they do know best! Good luck in your search.

fisherman-j
    Participant
    Northern MN

Make sure to consider the Google Nexus 7. Fun and easy to use and gets great reviews, along with the Fire and Ipad.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.