Vacuum for the garage

• Willy Wonka
    Forest Lake, Mn.

Anyone have a decent mid-priced shop vacuum they could recommend? My old Craftsman died. It worked but I always had to wear shooting muffs when using it. I just bought a 6 horse Shop Vac from the man mall and it won’t pick up a zip tie. It goes back today.

I was in hopes of keeping the price to $150 or less. I just want one that has the suction to vacuum the boat or wheel house without having to keep going over and over the same spot to pick up little sticks, leaves, whatever.

Thanks for any help!
    WS

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I have a Rigid brand vac from Home Depot that has worked well. I bought the smaller size since I lift it in and out of the boat so often. I don’t remember the specs, but I went with the smaller size and maximum power. I can’t remember the term they use for the “sucking power.” It picks up nails with no problem.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

I have a Rigid brand vac from Home Depot that has worked well. I bought the smaller size since I lift it in and out of the boat so often. I don’t remember the specs, but I went with the smaller size and maximum power. I can’t remember the term they use for the “sucking power.” It picks up nails with no problem.

X2

I have the Rigid 16 Gallon, Works great, and the motor pops off and doubles as a blower for leaves and light snow. Buy a few additional tubes and a 135degree elbow and blow the leaves and crap out of your gutters on the house, much safer and faster than a ladder.

gary d
    cordova,il

I like the craftmen brand. For that money you should be able to buy a good one. If just one thing that you do remember to got the bigger hose for sure!!! I have both big and small hose and by far bigger is better.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have all Rigid for my construction use and have been pleased. I use my smaller one in the garage with a few hose adapters and longer hoses. picks up nuts/bolts and everything else that I didn’t intend to run through it.
    I bought the washable replacement filters for it. Those I like! Drywall dust is miserable for ANY filter. But for common garage use they have paid for themselves many times over.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I neighbor does vacuum repair and he gave me a wall-mount that came from a central system in a house that had partially burned. This can was is the garage and un-affected by the fire. I have a twenty foot hose for it and that thing is the clear deal. Its mounted so the boat gets frequent cleaning as well as handyto do the van. I have a 10 gallon shop vak for towing around the gargae and in-house use.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I second the wall mount. I have a Rigid with a 25 ft hose. I can easily vac the boat within minutes of returning home and it reaches the vehicles too. It also has a blower that works great to blow all the leaves out of the garage.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

I bought a nice Craftsman that mounts to the wall on a bracket. It can be lifted off the bracket to be used somewhere else. Storage for accessorites on bottom. I think is is a 5hp around $100. It has a 1 5/8″ hose.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

I bought the washable replacement filters for it. Those I like! Drywall dust is miserable for ANY filter. But for common garage use they have paid for themselves many times over.

I have two Rigid 16 gal also and like them.

Regarding the filter I found a “reasonable” solution for reusing the paper filters. Take your gas leave blower to the filter and head unit (obviously outside). This blows all the crap caught in the “ridges” in the filter and gives you all that surface area back. For typical garage use this has served me well with the same filter for many years.

Bassn Dan

Quote:

Quote:

I have two Rigid 16 gal also and like them.

Regarding the filter I found a “reasonable” solution for reusing the paper filters. Take your gas leave blower to the filter and head unit (obviously outside). This blows all the crap caught in the “ridges” in the filter and gives you all that surface area back. For typical garage use this has served me well with the same filter for many years.

I do the same as Curmudgeon with the filter on our Craftsman, but using the air compressor. Works good as new when it’s done, but the dirt really flies!

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

I have a Craftmans. It is loud but lasts well. I use it in my business. For my house, boat, and cars at home I have a central vac with 35 foot hose. Reaches anywhere in the garage.

Willy Wonka
    Forest Lake, Mn.

Thanks for all the replies. I am off you look at the Rigid vacs. Thanks again!

WS

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.