Plumbing question

• Tom Anderson
    Participant
    Kasson, MN

Hi guys, I have an issue I’m hoping someone can help me with. My sump pump recently quit working in my basement, I replaced with a liberty sewer injection pump, now every time that pump runs it sucks the water out of the traps in my upstairs bathroom, my upstairs bathroom plumbing is vented through the roof, what do ya think, thanks in advance

lisko
    Participant

Installing inline vents will prevent that, secondary plumbing vents protect the traps of kitchen sinks, bathrooms, basins, tubs, showers, washing machines, etc. Breaks siphoning action caused by draining water. The differential created by draining water automatically opens sealingdisc and as drain flow stops, spring mechanism automatically closes sealing disc to keep water seal in trap constant and prevent sewer gas from escaping drain. MUST be located at least 6″ above trap arm top

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sump pump or sewage injector pump? They are two different types of pumps. Still not sure why one would cause this problem over the other.

Is the tank lid sealed? If so is there a vent on it. Is there a chance the roof vent may be clogged. Have seen my fair share that are vented out the roof but still have caps on them from when the house was built.

Tom Anderson
    Participant
    Kasson, MN

It is a sewage injection pump, the water from my basement bathroom and laudry room run into a basket which then is pumped up to the 4″ line going out to my septic, there is a vent pipe going from inside the basket to the outside, I’ll check my vent going through the roof, I don’t think that’s it because this started the day I put the new pump in, my only thought was that my old pump didn’t pump the volume of water and my new one does, now with the new pump more of a vacuum is created in the pipe because of more water flowing at once?

Tom Anderson
    Participant
    Kasson, MN

I would also like to add that above the sewage injection pump I have a anti back flow valve and when the pump shuts off and that valve closes it slams shut incredibly loud. Also the valve is horizontal in the pipe

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That vent coming off the top of the tank should be 2″ piping. Would guess the same size as the discharge piping. This is to prevent issues from like what you are having from happening. If the vents in the home are blocked or not properly sized the pump will draw air in from somewhere. Sounds like your second floor bathroom.

It does seem strange that a new pump would cause this issue. Dont think I have ever ran across something like this.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

Installing inline vents will prevent that, secondary plumbing vents protect the traps of kitchen sinks, bathrooms, basins, tubs, showers, washing machines, etc. Breaks siphoning action caused by draining water. The differential created by draining water automatically opens sealingdisc and as drain flow stops, spring mechanism automatically closes sealing disc to keep water seal in trap constant and prevent sewer gas from escaping drain. MUST be located at least 6″ above trap arm top

They are not a Code approved device in MN.. in fact they have been shot down several times due to their ineffectiveness.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.