Spray in bed liner vs bed mat

• Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

Just wondering what some of you guys have for opinions and suggestions. Bought an 09 Chevy that only has 14,000 miles on it and am debating on whether a spray in is worth the extra cost than just adding a mat to it It’s a truck I plan to hang on to for a while if that helps in your opinion at all.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

I have had one with a mat and my current one with a spray in/on liner. I will never go away from the spray in just for the durability and look of it compared to the mat and the scratched up sides and inside tailgate all scratched up from use,

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Quote:

I have had one with a mat and my current one with a spray in/on liner. I will never go away from the spray in just for the durability and look of it compared to the mat and the scratched up sides and inside tailgate all scratched up from use,

X2

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

I guess another thing I should ask about is what brand to look for and which to stay away from and if there is someone on IDO that has a shop or knows of a reputable place to have a spray on bedliner installed?

Beaver E

I have also seen it to where you can roll it on your self. I thought it looks good. At the time it was around $100

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

I have kicked the idea around to put a roll on in, but not sure if they are as good or last as long as having it professionally done? Any input on that would be great too

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve got 140k on my current truck. Always had rubber matts in my pickups and dont have any intention of changing. Depends on your use I guess. I dont fill the bed of my trucks with dirt, rocks or any wet debris and I have not had one instance where I wished I had spay in. Just noticed that Cabelas doesnt even sell the rubber one I always bought from them anymore.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

It’s all about function. One thing I learned the hard way is the spray on and the rubber mats cargo won’t slide. Now for most guys that’s a good thing. For me, not so much. I move lots of equipment weighing several hundred pounds. Being able to slide it up to the bulkhead and then tie it in is a must.

The Ford truck I had years ago had a molded one piece that dropped in. That thing held up for years and stuff slid around great. Can’t remember the name, I think it started with a D.

If you are not hauling cargo, the spray on and the mats would work OK I guess.

huskerdu

Bed Mat-dont haul anything but hounds in the back and trade trucks every couple of years- 2012 w/16K on it already

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I have had a linex spray in for my last three trucks, and wouldn’t go without. I drop my tailgate when loading and unloading the boat, and between jumping in and out of the box/tailgate with wet shoes and such, the non slip can’t be beat. They hold up for ever, and look good after a lot of abuse.

This said, as mentioned, if you need things to slide in and out, the answer may be different. If I do, I put in piece of plywood or something.

The drop in ones are less, but I think you get what you pay for if your use justifies it.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Had a buddy in high school find out just how well things can slide on the plastic drop in ones. This was before they did away with the law requiring you to keep your tailgate down until you registered your deer. He was going to town with the doe he shot in the back (not tied down), came around a corner and felt the weight shift in the back of the truck. Looked in his mirror to see his deer laying in the middle of the road. I about ate it fumbling around in the dark on that plastic shell of death more than once getting hunting or fishing stuff out of there.
    My work truck has the spray in, its nice but for something you only plan to have done once its not overly cheap to get it done right. My personal truck I just use a rubber bed mat, yup the sides get scratched up, but its a truck not a cadillac.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Use it like it is for now and then have a liner sprayed in when it gets beat up! Gives you time to save some ching. I would recommend linex over rhino as it looks more uniform and has a gritty texture that seems to be better for non-slip. But make sure you check out what has been done at the place you plan to take it. Some of these guys make a mess of the stuff. Avoid the roll-ons as they tend to be too thin to hold up for years.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Spray in liner. My son does them also does the top of the box and goes down the side a couple of inches to help eliminate future scratching. Looks sharp as well.

weldon
    Rochester, Mn

I’ve had a Rhino liner in my F150 for 12 years. I would strongly recommend it. Looks like new yet.

My liner was put in at Rhino on the north side of Rochester for about $300 at the time.

red89
    Hudson

Get a spray/roll in liner, and then buy a rubber mat to put on top of it.
    The mats are easily removable if you are hauling something that you don’t need it for, but mine pretty much stays in %100 of the time. Keeps stuff from sliding, and wont scuff up my reels if I have some rods in the box.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Spray on hands down. I have had mats, bed liners and spray on. Doing it yourself is not to terrible either its the prep work that is a pain! I rolled on husky liner inside our jeep wrangler, its been 6 yrs now I think and still looks new. If you have someone do it have it also done on the bed caps.

David Grosulak
    Pool 2

If your going to go with the spray on and do it yourself make sure you do a good job of covering the rest of the vehicle. If you dont there will be overspray everywhere, and its not fun to get rid of. If your going to do it yourself you might as well spray underneath the truck as well.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.