propane tank problem

• eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

The propane tank on my barbecue grill appeared to run out of gas. So I swapped it out and the other tank fired right up. The first tank is far too heavy to be empty. What should I check to determine why it won’t supply gas to the grill?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Tilt the tank on its side. The internal safety valve may be stuck.

BBKK
    IA

Lay it on its side, valve opening pointing down and swoosh the liquid back and forth a few times. Flip it back up and see if it works.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

What they said ^^^^^^

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I’ve experienced that if you open up the gas to a burner then open the valve on the tank it messes up something with the regulator, in which case I turn the tank again, then the burner off, tank back on, then relite the grill.

taz
    Frederic wi

Quote:

What they said ^^^^^^

X2

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

Tried this x2 like you all said, but still not getting anything.
    Tank is almost as heavy as the full one.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

You have a vapor lock. Disconnect it and stay in a open area (not in the garage) Open the bleeder valve on top. Air will blow out, you will be able to tell when gas starts to blow out. When you get gas shut the valve and re-install. You should be good to go.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Quote:

Quote:

What they said ^^^^^^

X2

X3 or… make sure to open the tank before opening the grill burner. Had a fish cooker kick my butt on that one till I figured it out.

Doh! Just read Dutchboys post. Try that!

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I did the open valve in the back yard.
    I was expecting to hear a swoosh or something and eventually start smelling gas,
    Unfortunately
    nothing happened at all.

Any other things I could try?

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Did you take a screwdriver to the small screw on the handle? That’s the bleeder valve.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Quote:

I was expecting to hear a swoosh or something and eventually start smelling gas,
    Unfortunately
    nothing happened at all.

If it doesn’t work after the bleeder valve attempt, find a big open field and shoot it with a high power rifle and get the enjoyment of the splosion!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Unfortunately
    nothing happened at all.

Unless this tank is a 100 lb’er or really, really, really old (they won’t even fill that type anymore) opening the valve will do absolutely nothing, by design. Shake up the tank, put your sunflower on it and see if it works….

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Sorry, I should clarify, we bled the tank on our forklift. Maybe your tank isn’t set up the same way. First photo shows the top of our tank. Second picture is the bleeder we opened.
    When you open it it takes awhile before gas comes out. My forklift wouldn’t start one day and we assumed the tank was empty. Once I had it off I could tell there still was gas in it by the weight of it. I took it down to where they fill it and they did the bleeding thing and it worked perfectly. Thats all I can say, it worked for us.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

This is the bleed valve on a #20 tank. Screwdriver on it.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

After all that, when you open the valve do it verrrry slowly, opening to quick can lock them up also.

Al

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

AND THEN THERE WAS FIRE

I opened the bleed valve slowly 1/6 of a turn or so
    Smelled gas pretty quick
    closed the bleed valve
    installed back in grill
    fired right up
    and came to temp
    Big thanks to all of you that helped
    really appreciate the pictures

NEW ISSUE!

Brand new mini 2.6 gallon tank showed up in the mail and I went straight to the propane refill gas station. The tank would not take propane. The said it was already full. (Cant believe they would ship it that way) Hooked it up to my barbecue and it does not work.

What do I do from here?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you open the valve and smell gas it’s full. If it won’t take gas send it back. Or Ferrelgas and places like that can repair it.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.