Skeeter Boat Center – For Rods and Reels?

• Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Another “Thank-you-Dean-Marshall” post? Well…yes, of course, but also no. Let me back up a bit. On Friday, I made the trip down to Skeeter Boat Center, looking to talk shop with Dean on a whole variety of topics….hoping to get a peek at some color options for the MX’s in-person. I left that afternoon a happy man, a couple new rods to my name, with a very different idea of what SBC was and how it operated.

Like many of us here, our first experience with Dean was on the river, where he ran one of the most successful businesses in that area; particularly in regards to fishing rod and tackle sales. Back then I was impressed with his uncanny ability to “know” the product lines he sold in stunning detail, just like now. Not just, “St. Croix also offers a Medium in a similar length,” like most retail outlets, but “That 6’8″ extreme is your mono rod – if you pitch plastics and don’t have a good mono rod, you’re missing fish.” He listens to what you’re after, and plainly and simply picks the best rod for the job, based on the specs you give him.

More impressively, he’s not there to push the rod/reel with the right margin for him like most of the retail places I’ve bought from in the past. He’ll sell you a rod of any shape, size, cost, etc. provided one very large detail: that it’s the right tool for the job. Loomis, Shimano, St. Croix, whatever. Want a Sealine 27 on a Shimano rod, no problem. It’s a business strategy I think all of us that fish at least somewhat seriously can truly appreciate. Give folks what they want, and they’ll be happy. Sell them stuff that works, they’ll be happier yet. Thank you SBC and Dean for doing both!

Joel

sandmannd

That’s why he’s one of the best in the business and has the reputation he has.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Dean always always took CARE of buisness and his customers. ….Thats why i had to do all the prefishing. ……rrr

JimmyClark
    Eagle Point Wi. USA

Are they selling Elk River Custom Rods there? I bought one in their shop in Phillips Wi a couple of years ago, and heard back then that SBC was going to be a local dealer for them. “A good rod, with a real good warranty”.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Now with ICAST over, there’s going to be a whole ‘nother new round of cool open-water products to play with. I just took a look at some online vids of the new Legend Extremes, and the Shimano Saros. Both of which I’ll get Dean’s opinion on before investing!

Joel

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

It was great to see you again Joel! I am very grateful to still be active in the fishing world.My responsibilities today dont lend me the IDO time I once had, but it is awesome and a honor to help folks enjoy their fishing! I sure miss seeing my river rat friends daily, but these up north lake guys are fun too!
    Have fun fishing everyone!

PS…RRR you are still in charge of prefishing, unless of course we end up fishing on a Friday! LOL

maddogg

Do they have a website for rods & reels?

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Do they have a website for rods & reels?

Thanks for asking, this post was from 2012. We are no longer in the rod business.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.